Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 9,946 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

It looks as though we will be relocating from Chicago to Stafford (need to be close to family and reason for the choice of area). Job will be located in Reston, and I realise its going to be a long commute, but am willing to make the trade off to be closer to family. So, if you could help - are there better commute options than others, how long is the daily commute likely to be (Google says around 1hr15) but I know about the traffic having been to the area a few times.

Are there slug lines or alternative options folks would recommend? Appreciate the help.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 03:52 PM

6,566 posts, read 8,409,250 times
The rule of thumb is to at least double what google tells you. Dude, that commute is going to royally suck.

You can get more opinions by posting in the Northern Virginia sub forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/

Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 PM

Thanks! I'll repost there too.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:28 PM

689 posts, read 1,617,103 times
Yeah, that's going to be a mess, because of the mixing bowl and no direct way to Reston. I guess you'd be best off going out the Greenway, at least it's against traffic. But if you can live anywhere closer to work, do it. We made a huge mistake in NoVA buying a house that was too far out, and my husband's commute was absolutely ridiculous. Fifty miles (roughly what you're talking about, depending where in Stafford) was regularly 2.5 hours. You could potentially take 234 up to 66 and wiggle your way up to Reston (28 is much better now than it used to be), or the Fairfax County Parkway. I would try those before I tried 95.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:22 AM

9,881 posts, read 14,147,917 times
Driving will be a nightmare. Public transportation won't be any better. You could take the VRE to L'Enfant Plaza and the Metro out to Reston, but you will have rail time of about 2 hours, and that doesn't include getting to the station, waiting for the Metro, or getting from the Metro station to wherever you work in Reston (likely need to take a bus.)

Old 08-30-2014, 10:04 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,405,262 times
I know people who live in Woodbridge and commuting to Reston, which is only about 30 miles, takes them sometimes almost 2 hours. If you can, I would move closer to Reston otherwise the commute is going to be brutal.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:20 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,255,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanwbie View Post
Yeah, that's going to be a mess, because of the mixing bowl and no direct way to Reston. I guess you'd be best off going out the Greenway, at least it's against traffic. But if you can live anywhere closer to work, do it. We made a huge mistake in NoVA buying a house that was too far out, and my husband's commute was absolutely ridiculous. Fifty miles (roughly what you're talking about, depending where in Stafford) was regularly 2.5 hours. You could potentially take 234 up to 66 and wiggle your way up to Reston (28 is much better now than it used to be), or the Fairfax County Parkway. I would try those before I tried 95.

Possible route but 28 is no better in my opinion. At least not from Manassas through Centreville. No matter what you will be in one heckuva commute.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 PM

I agree. OP -- I understand wanting to be close to family, but if you're always on the road, do you lose the benefit? Perhaps you can live closer to work and visit family during non-rush-hour times. Truly the most important lesson we learned while living in NoVA was to live as close as you can to work.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:22 AM

Thank you all- the job fell through. Back to the drawing board. Sounds like it would have been a haul!

If I wanted to live in stafford- would it be preferable to look at roles in Richmond etc- at least that way I'd be against the rush??

Thanks again all.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 PM

It would be preferable to avoid 95 in general, it's horrible much of the time now. It truly can't handle the volume. If you need to live in Stafford look for options for easy commuting -- where can you get to on the train? I'd go into DC before Richmond, b/c you can let Amtrak or the VRE handle the stress for you. Look for mass transit or ride sharing -- van pools are also common. Hopefully that will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia