Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 09:52 PM

518 posts, read 1,796,959 times

Advertisements

Looking for a small town with good school system within 15-20 min of shopping areas. We want to be in area that has a lot of newcomers and is welcoming to outsiders. We have 4 young children, so parks and recreation areas are a must. We are looking around Roanoke/Blacksburg, but there seems to be so many areas to look at, and it is confusing. Would like to hear any recommendations. Our price range is around 350, so I don't think that is too much of a problem, just need some guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,558 times
Wink a great place to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
Looking for a small town with good school system within 15-20 min of shopping areas. We want to be in area that has a lot of newcomers and is welcoming to outsiders. We have 4 young children, so parks and recreation areas are a must. We are looking around Roanoke/Blacksburg, but there seems to be so many areas to look at, and it is confusing. Would like to hear any recommendations. Our price range is around 350, so I don't think that is too much of a problem, just need some guidance.
I would recommend west point, va - small school system, but rated top in the state for several years running - lots of one on one with the children as there are generally only 30 or so in each class - caution if you have children that struggle in school though - they (the school system) are not overly accommodating in this department UNLESS you stand your ground and make sure that you are heard - then, they will listen and will generally offer assistance (they do like to keep that little w.p. reputation of high standing sol scores top notch for ratings so tend to want to have the best of the best) - if the school system knows you are going to be an active, stand your ground and look out for what's best for your child AND fight for what you think is fair and right with your child(ren) - you will do fine. Overall, you generally CAN get the assistance you may need - they're a little tougher with homework and grading, but I have a very average child who I have personally had to fight for and if you pursue the issue, you will be heard!

As with any small town - you have the ever going gossip, but that's just one of the minor deficits with the town - it is a safe place to raise your children - you really don't have to worry about locking doors - people know each other so there's not a whole lot of room for privacy which I find to be an advantage (I am able to ignore the ignorance related to gossip), but you generally feel very safe - as a parent especially - someone always knows your child or at least someone else who does so I don't have to worry much when they don't come home right away when you call them in from outside playing - SOMEONE has seen them! Someone always has a connection somewhere to help you out.

The grocery store is local - the schools, pharmacies and basic necessity businesses are local - everything is within 5 minutes of leaving your home. The local restaurants are wonderful - a few fast food places available - no delivery (yet) - clothing and other shopping excursions are just a little out of town, but within 20 minutes to major malls. The smell of the paper mill is rather offensive to some, but you get used to it. It's a great place to raise a family - not a good place to meet other single people, so if that's the case, don't count on that - however, being single and living in this small town is nice as well because you do find that the neighbors are very accommodating and again, feeling safe is a great plus!!

The parks and rec situation - ??? - they're working on it - we do have the basics for baseball, football (not for younger children yet), soccer, etc. No swimming as the schools do not have pools. The country club does have a pool and we now have the ymca which hopefully will offer a public pool. Since we are such a small community, there's not a lot of major competition to make the team so to speak - limited people, lots of positions - however, the coaches tend to be very helpful and the children do learn and there are plenty of opportunities to go just a little outside of the town if necessary to pursue more competetive sports playing.

Housing - with the amount that you said you can afford - you will be living rather elegantly here in this town - generally new homes are going just below the 300's at present, but most are not paying that much. There has been a lull in sales and I do believe that it is due to the high pricing of the homes - we are a small, home town and most of us are "average" with the average income and the ones that are buying and living in the homes selling for over the 300's range, I can guarantee you that they are not having an easy time with making the mortgage payments! So, I would recommend this town if you are not a keep up with the jones' type - we have some of them here, but the majority of us are down to earth, average, everyday, working and getting by from day to day people - the ones that don't agree with this statement, are in fact the very ones within the "keeping up with the jones' category.

In summary, if your family is what is most important to you and not what the neighbors say or think and if you are looking for a great place to raise your family, stay in a nice, safe, quiet environment, low crime, easy access to necessities, quiet, pleasant neighbors, pleasant outings to the ball fields, a great education for your children... this would be a wonderful place to live!! It's all about family here in my opinion - again, down to earth, average joes, the town members certainly will make you feel welcome here, the kids in general and for the majority are raised well, minimal drug use, no gangs - no bully policies highly enforced, good morals, kind and well-mannered.

Check us out - we welcome you and your family!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: