Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 786 times

Advertisements

Medically retired US Army veteran living off VA benefits and BAH from GI Bill. I am currently working on my Master's degree online, so I can relocate anywhere.

I am looking for a place to live in Virginia for me and my 4-year-old Beagle. The most I can pay monthly for rent is $700. I currently live in Culpeper, VA sharing a house with my cousin, aunt and uncle, but will be homeless by June 30th, 2015. My cousin and her parents are moving closer to George Mason Univ, where she goes to school and prefer I no longer live with them (I have assumed, since they haven't discussed moving with me). I don't really mind, because I prefer to live alone away from family drama.

I moved here from Colorado Springs, CO and lived with my brother. However, a year later he decided to move with his girlfriend following his divorce leaving me to fend for myself, even though he had been the one to convince me to move to Virginia. In Colorado Springs I was renting a 2 bed & 1.5 bath town home from an Air Force veteran paying only $625 a month, but I took a gamble moving out to Virginia for better job opportunities.

A few months before the lease ended for the apartment my brother and I had rented ended I started my search for a place to live. However, I had trouble finding a place to live that was willing to rent to me alone, because I was unemployed, even though, I earned enough from my benefits to afford the rent and other living expenses (i.e. utilities, cable, internet, etc.) and an excellent credit report. Fortunately, my cousin who also lived in Northern Virginia was looking for a place to relocate following her divorce, so we managed to pull together to find a very large affordable house to rent.

Now, I have until June 2015 to find a place to live. However, I'm am still not so familiar with all of Virginia and I need to find very affordable and decent housing, so I can finish my degree and eventually return to the workforce. I should be finishing my degree by March of 2016, so wherever I move to now should be near areas with potential employment opportunities in Administrative/Office, Management, Public Relations, or Customer Service related work, so I can avoid having to relocate again.

What I like to know is where in Virginia has the cheapest possible rental properties (houses, town homes, apartments) and lowest cost of living overall or the best places to look. Living close to a VA Facility would be a plus, so I can have less of a commute for medical appointments (I currently drive over an hours to a VA clinic in Fredricksburg and close to 2 hours to the VA Hospital in Richmond), but is not necessary.

Also, I might be open to purchasing a small affordable home or rent-to-own. My family back in California (where I'm originally from) are will to help me purchase a small home if the mortgage is less than what I can afford for rent monthly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 09:48 PM

94 posts, read 155,469 times
There are lots of rental properties in Roanoke. If you go too far out of town rental units are scarce in smaller towns.
There is a large VA in Salem also. Good Luck in your search!

Old 04-05-2015, 09:52 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,029,223 times
Petersburg, VA.

You could use the facilities at Ft Lee.

Plenty of rentals in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia