Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:28 AM

97 posts, read 616,727 times

Advertisements

Hello,

It seems that you've already made a decision, but maybe I can still give a little insight. I was raised in Roanoke, went to college in Norfolk while living in VA Beach, now live in Lynchburg (inbetween Roanoke & C-Ville), and frequently visit NoVA. Yup, lived in VA my whole life and will probably die in VA.

As far as your questions and ideas regarding where to live, I can tell you that VA Beach has a decent amount of crime and with it beginning to become over-populated it will get worse. Neighboring Norfolk reached its population peak in the mid 70's and has since had a lot of crime which bleeds into VA Beach. The population has steadily decreased since, yet jobs stayed in Norfolk. That of course created NASTY traffic problems. It took me 2-4 years to fully understand how to get around in Hampton Roads! You are however close (1hr) to one of the nicest places in the US; the Outer Banks. There is plenty to do, so much that you'll constantly wonder where your time has gone. I did love being there, so I can only tell you that I was ready to leave after 6 years. Also, VA Beach is second to only NoVA in the state for expense and most of that will be housing.

As far as the eastern part of the state, Roanoke or Charlottesville are excellent places to raise a family. One way VA is different from most other states is that the counties are completely different entities from the cities. VA beach used to be Princess Anne county but its now gone due to the growth. Roanoke county has the best schools in the state period, Roanoke city does not. Roanoke county borders the Smith Mountain Lake area with some of the highest property prices in the state, yet has a median home price 20% lower than VA Beach with better properties on average. Crime in the City of Roanoke is low, in the County is negligable. Employment won't be a problem in your field, or for anyone with an education.

Charlottesville is very similar to Roanoke but is smaller. The main difference is UVA of course, and the city revolves around it. People walk with thier noses slightly higher, but maybe they should.. it is Thomas Jefferson's school. C-Ville is slightly closer the the beach and NoVA which may give it a slight advantage. Both cities are close enough to the mountains for spectacular views every evening when the sun sets behind the peaks.

I hope this helps, and maybe I can persuade you to continue thinking about it. I personally like a slower lifestyle but it all depends on what your personal tastes are. Nothing says you can't take a weekend drive to the mountains, or vice versa to the beach. That is my favorite part of this state - a 4 hr. drive will put you anywhere you will ever want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 05:19 PM

32 posts, read 172,672 times
Here's my 2 cents worth:

Hampton Roads is the region that consists of Williamsburg, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Chesapeake and VA Beach. Norfolk is really the core city in this area, but they all keep their own unique identities. Norfolk/Portsmouth/Hampton/Newport News are the more "urban" areas. VA Beach, Chesapeake, Yorktown and Suffolk carry the suburban feel. Not to be nit picky - but its Sandbridge - not "Strawbridge." Pungo is near Sandbridge in VA Beach and has a Strawberry Festival each year. Must have been a mental blend of the two.

I went to HighSchool in Yorktown, lived in Ghent with my wife for 3 years and now we're in Charlotte, NC. Hampton Roads is a great area - close to beach, culture (Chrysler Museum, Harrison Opera House, Chrysler Hall, Zoo), vibrant downtown in Norfolk, good schools in all of the suburban cities. High School athletics have produced some of the best most well known athletes in the nation.

My parents live in Alexandria. Northen VA, is a BIG CITY period. Shopping is endless. Culture, etc. Its Washington DC. There are a handful of cities in America that carry a certain cache' and DC is one of them. As stated its expensive and congested. I would argue w/ the person from Roanoke that NoVa has the best public/private schools in the state. Fairfax Schools are among the best in the nation.

My wife is from SWVA and her dad has a house at Smith Mountain Lake. Beautiful area. IMO Roanoke is a large town more-so than a small city. Jobs seem to be scarce there compared to other regions, but theres $$ to be made everywhere.

Not too hip to Charlottesville, but I have been there and its a great college town. Some wealth there as well.

Richmond has its share of crime, but everywhere does. The West side of Richmond as well as Colonial Heights are nice with good schools. More reasonabley priced than the DC suburbs. Probably equal in housing prices to parts of Hampton Roads.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:42 PM

73 posts, read 475,349 times
If you're still considering Roanoke and Virginia Beach, the last three posts were very informative. I have a bit in common with jmadz's wife -- I grew up in SW VA and my dad lives at Smith Mountain Lake. It's very high-end there, and expensive. Although, IMO, Roanoke is certainly a city -- I'd argue a medium-sized one -- and not a large town. The Roanoke area is quite large and diverse. The northern parts include Salem and Vinton, which are cities on their own, and then there's Blue Ridge, Daleville, and a host of other small areas that are starting to make names for themselves. Another poster mentioned that there are plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities, and that's key if you like the outdoors. Also, the area is just plain beautiful. Stay away from Orange Ave. b/c of traffic... other than that, traffic in Roanoke is no big deal. I rarely run across any problems. People are friendly too.

As for Va. Beach, that's where I live now. I'm itching to get out of here, but this place does have its perks for many people -- namely, the things that Dontcindyme mentioned. To me, it's too crowded, traffic is too bad, and crime is going up. Keep in mind that this can happen anywhere, but a 25-year-old newlywed was shot and killed in an upscale shopping center parking lot a few days ago. It's put a lot of us on edge.

If you're looking for affordable housing, you won't find much in a safe neighborhood in Va. Beach. If you're set on this area, you may look into Chesapeake, which is my personal favorite of the Hampton Roads cities.

Overall, Hampton Roads doesn't hold much for me anymore... especially in the winter. It's cold and rarely brings the beauty of snow. Crime is up. Few areas are pretty except the ocean areas and state parks. Now, driving through Roanoke, on the other hand, there's beauty all around you.

Keep in mind I have an agenda. I love Roanoke and I'm burned out of living in Hampton Roads. So take my words for what you will! Good luck finding your new home!

Old 11-15-2006, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 11,152 times
Williamsburg, is a nice rural area. Centrally located, an hour from Richmond, Va Beach, and 2.5 hours from Nags Head, NC.

Yorktown is known for charm, as is Williamsburg, but most of all the wonderful school system.

Good luck!

Another, born and raised in VA

Old 11-15-2006, 04:49 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,231,333 times
I just have one final question to ask...

Can you guys possibly give a breakdown comparison between Roanoke and Charlottesville? Namely:

1). Crime Rate

I like the site below for checking out crime rates.

(broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2006 at 02:54 AM..

Old 11-16-2006, 11:41 AM

SO .. I checked out your area connect site. The numbers originally looked a little off, but I thought that national numbers came from Compiling rural and urban areas so they are probably accurate but don't account for more than 1 years statistics. Also, how do they get 8.5 murders for Roanoke 2004? Can you explain a half murder? Thier statistics vary from other sources, therefore I would say that site is bunk.

Compare any VA city to Richmond and it'll make you feel safe. (unless you live in Richmond)!

Old 11-16-2006, 02:09 PM

261 posts, read 1,273,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa View Post
Also, how do they get 8.5 murders for Roanoke 2004? Can you explain a half murder? Thier statistics vary from other sources, therefore I would say that site is bunk.
I'm not going to say this to in any way legitimite the Area Connect site. I have no idea how good it is. But as an explainer, the figures highest up on the page project the statistics if the city had 100,000 people. That way, viewers could more easily measure and compare cities. The reason they got 8.5 murders is because Roanoke has just less than 100,000 people, so when the stats are adjusted to fit that population level, the numbers don't come out even.

Looking just below those main stats, there is a part for actual reported crimes. Roanoke, a city of 93,787 people, had 8 murders in 2004. That means one murder for every 11,723 people.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:13 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,231,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTrail View Post
I'm not going to say this to in any way legitimite the Area Connect site. I have no idea how good it is. But as an explainer, the figures highest up on the page project the statistics if the city had 100,000 people. That way, viewers could more easily measure and compare cities. The reason they got 8.5 murders is because Roanoke has just less than 100,000 people, so when the stats are adjusted to fit that population level, the numbers don't come out even.

Looking just below those main stats, there is a part for actual reported crimes. Roanoke, a city of 93,787 people, had 8 murders in 2004. That means one murder for every 11,723 people.

Thanks PaperTrail. I couldn't have said it better. If the poster before you thinks these sites are bunk and they're statistics from the FBI, then what is one to go on to find accurate crime statistics?

Old 11-19-2006, 04:48 PM
MAL

1 posts, read 3,341 times
Default I dont agree

I am from new york city i thought the same exact thing go to a safer place ,but guess what i was wrong dont belive all the stuff these people say about virginia beach you know how bad the crime is getting in the beach .If you come here it will be a waste of time belive me i know crime is increasing at the speed of light go ahead come if you want but u say the lowest crime in virginia thats not virginia beach 20 years ago it was but now its far from low its not horrible just yet but i know for a fact the way its increasin it will be. Just telling hte truth cause people lie they told us this place would never go bad i hear about shootings almost everyday someone got shot across the street from me after being robbed. Just tryna to help

Old 11-21-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa View Post
Crime in the City of Roanoke is low, in the County is negligable.
It actually seems that Roanoke City has recently been rated as #37 in the country for most dangerous place to live. Not because it had a lot of crime, but it had quite a bit for a city its size.

Keep in mind that the surrounding areas are not part of this data and Roanoke county, Vinton, Salem, etc. are extremely safe places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia