Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:59 AM

10 posts, read 21,230 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I have been trying to read most posts about my question and I'm sure it's somewhat explained somewhere, but with what looks like a million threads it's hard to find out.

I'll try to make it quick and not annoying
My husband and I and our 3 daughters...3 years and 11 month old twins...are currently living in Florida. My DH is a teacher and I am part stay at home mom and part time photo tech at a Sam's Club. Living down here for 3 years now, we are coming to realize that teachers do not get paid well, the cost of living is certainly not what it used to be (also if you want to live in a nice, safe neighborhood), and I totally miss having the seasons!

Anyway, my DH is applying at private schools in Washington, D.C. and parts of Northern Virginia. Now since this is just rhetorical and I'm trying to get as much knowledge as I can now instead of at the last minute...Dh is hoping to get accepted for the 2008 school year. I guess I'm just trying to find out how hard it is to get something like a house "rent with possibility to own option"? We have been living in a small 2 bedroom apartment with all our girls for over 2 years now, and I really don't want to move into another apartment. But I know moving to a completely different area, not knowing really anything about it and immediately trying to buy a house is pretty stupid.

Now since I don't know where he could end up getting a job or possible income change, I don't know if anyone can give me any ideas. Like I said I'm just trying to get good ideas now. I don't want to find out he's got this great job offer in June and we have to start researching places to live and have a month to do it

Thanks in advance to all!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 AM

Just to throw in there, since we are so used to living on a smaller budget down here, we probably going to be looking for something in the $1500 or less range, also depending on (hopefully) larger income on his part, so with that we may be able to do more. Is that even possible when you're looking for 3 bedroom 2 bath with possible den and yard house rental???

Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krysta814 View Post
Just to throw in there, since we are so used to living on a smaller budget down here, we probably going to be looking for something in the $1500 or less range, also depending on (hopefully) larger income on his part, so with that we may be able to do more. Is that even possible when you're looking for 3 bedroom 2 bath with possible den and yard house rental???
$1500 will more than likely not be enough for a 3bd/2bth even w/o a den and yard in Northern VA. I think it would be more likely in the Richmond or Hampton Roads area that you'll find something better in your price range.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:39 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,619,791 times
Smile Roanoke

You can definatly get a 3bd/2bath with nice yard and den in Roanoke Va. for $1500 or even less. Reasearch Roanoke and read my other posts. Its a great town and we have great private schools like North Cross School and Roanoke Catholic School

Old 01-16-2008, 10:45 PM

5 posts, read 14,844 times
Getting a house is not a problem, it's paying for it...
Prices have been on the hike for the last year or two on a pretty solid basis...

As one example here's my own, look out for this bs:
2007 $136,100
2006 $115,400
2005 $78,200
Granted, a considerable amount of property improvement was performed, but still.
I am expecting 2008 to come in at 150k.

Also VA is a Commonwealth, might want to read up on it, not a bad place at all but certainly different.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:23 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,318,220 times
Commonwealth does not mean anything special, but this is certainly a common misconception.

What's worth noting is that Virginia is a Dillon's Rule state and has an Independent City system, but the word Commonwealth doesn't mean anything more than state.

Quote:
What is the Commonwealth of Virginia?
You will often hear our state called the Commonwealth of Virginia. This does not meanVirginia has a different form of government than any other state. “Commonwealth” is defined by Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary as a political unit or government (1) “founded on law and united by compact or tacit agreement of the people for the common good,” or (2) “one in which supreme authority is vested in the people.”

Using these definitions, it could be said that all 50 states, as well as our national government, are commonwealths. Besides Virginia, three other states - Kentucky, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania - use the term commonwealth as part of their official names....

Pennsylvania and Massachusetts also chose to be called commonwealths after independence from Great Britain. The other 10 former colonies took the name “state,” the term used in the Declaration of Independence.

Kentucky was once part of Virginia. When Kentuckians joined the Union as the 15th state in 1792, it kept the name commonwealth.
You can read more on Page 2 of this .PDF - Virginia Factpack

Old 01-21-2008, 02:39 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,973 times
Smart choice to choose VA. Seems like the whole world is moving to North Carolina. We followed that crowd and realized our mistake. Ended up in Roanoke which is a much better fit for us.

Check out Roanoke - you can probably get a house here for your family!

Best of luck.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,619,791 times
Smile wow

Just found this lovely house on criagslist wish I was able to afford it. Seems like a good deal too its less that $1500 too!! 2 ba in Raleigh Court (broken link)

Old 01-24-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Just found this lovely house on criagslist wish I was able to afford it. Seems like a good deal too its less that $1500 too!! 2 ba in Raleigh Court (broken link)
Wow! That is absolutely beautiful! Roanoke seems like it's a wonderful place, but it seems like it's just too far from D.c.? Maybe I'm doing mapquest wrong. Maybe you would know better? We're looking to live somewhere close ( well maybe like 45 min) to at least a metro station to get to D.C. That's IF DH even gets one of these schools in that area. But he is also applying to some of the private schools in VA as well so maybe we'll get lucky!!!

Thanks for sending me this link. I wish I could move in there tomorrow((
It seems perfect for my family!! 4 bed 2 bath!!!! For $1200 a month!!! Unreal!!
Is Roanoke usually this affordable?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 AM

567 posts, read 2,141,973 times
Yes, Roanoke is several hours from DC, but I suggested Roanoke as an alternative to DC. We have much lower cost of living and some good private schools to apply to as well.

Good luck!

Erin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia