Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 906 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate from the Northeast to Virginia within the next 6-8 months. We're in the process of trying to determine which area in the state, specifically, we should target for our relocation.

Here's a little bit of background: We're a young couple. My husband works in the telecommunications/IT field. I have a B.A in History/Political Science and have been working in municipal government and non-profit communications and marketing. I would like to shift my focus toward communications and professional writing and editing, primarily.

The job market in our area has been very weak in recent years and my husband and I have both been directly affected. I have been working multiple part time jobs and my husband has been forced to accept one short-term contract position after another. Living in our area has become difficult because of increasing taxes, high costs of living and a very sluggish economy. We're looking to move to a region with a stronger job market for both of our fields, more affordable housing, an overall lower cost of living, friendly people and shorter winters. As a young couple, we'd also like to be in an area that has a decent amount of things to do. I have a great passion for history and both my husband and I enjoy living near a historical area. We'd also like to live less than two hours from the ocean.

In addition, safety is a very important factor for us. We're looking to settle down long term and start a family in the next few years. Ideally, we'd like to be in a relatively quiet, country-like (but not too rural) setting that is within, at most, a 45 minute commute of the city. We may need to rent initially but we'd like to purchase a home within the next 1-2 years. As far as renting is concerned, we want to aim to spend under $700/month if at all possible so that we can continue to save up for a house.

I have briefly visited Richmond in the past (about a year ago), but neither my husband nor I have been to VA Beach. We're feeling a bit overwhelmed by all of the information we've come across through our online research and are looking for some guidance as far as which areas in Virginia, specifically, would be best for us to consider relocating to. As I indicated earlier, we're strongly leaning toward either the Richmond or Virginia Beach regions. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 07:58 AM

419 posts, read 905,204 times
With your rent level I would think finding a place that is 'safe' may be hard. there are places I consider safe in that range but many do not. having stated that I think Richmond would provide more job opportunities for both of you. I would focus on that first. You can always explore VB from Richmond as it is not too far away. Country like settings with amenities tend to cost well above your rent level. If you are willing to live in a less country setting until you buy there are a lot more options. The 45 minute commute is problematic depending on where you will work. In the VB area you could be living in VB and working in Norfolk, living in the country like area of VB called pungo and have an hour or more commute. While in Richmond you might be living in a park like setting near Forest Hill and have a 10 minute commute to downtown. I think what I am saying is your transportation pattern may be more important than a distance to a city.
Anyway more specifics to your questions should generate better answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia