Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 4,533 times

Advertisements

I am attempting to relocate to Virginia. I am graduating with my BA in Criminal Justice. I have a daughter in elementary school. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best city/town in Va with a good family atmosphere, good schools,but not too far from entertainment for all of us to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 04:47 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,826 times
What kind of job are you looking for? Are you looking to be a deputy sheriff in a county? A police officer in a town/city?

My suggestion is to find a job and let that dictate where you live. Even with a BA in Criminal Justice, I suspect you are not going to find it easy to find a job if you are looking for a government job.

The highly populated areas will have traffic and higher crime problems: NoVA, Hampton Roads, Richmond. But they will likely have more job opportunities involving criminal justice for that very reason.

Check out the Virginia Dept. of Corrections website for job opportunities: https://vadoc.virginia.gov/careers/

Old 06-20-2015, 10:58 AM

TN LILY thank you. I'm hoping to find a job in the court system doing probation /parole work. I also plan on studying for my Masters for Organization Leadership once I get settled after the move.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:01 AM

Default moving to Virginia

I hope to find a job with the court system doing probation or parole work. Once I get settled after the move I plan on studying for my Masters in Organization Leadership

Old 06-20-2015, 01:41 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
The NOVA area will pay more but of course the traffic sucks and the cost of living is higher. More court systems here meaning more local and state parole offices.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:26 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by working hard View Post
I hope to find a job with the court system doing probation or parole work. Once I get settled after the move I plan on studying for my Masters in Organization Leadership
I'd suggest a young person might enjoy living in Richmond or Roanoke. Several other cities sound interesting: Winchester, Blacksburg, Abington. The Hampton Roads area is large and challenging, including Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk.

I would not especially enjoy living in these places: Petersburg, Smithfield, Danville or Lynchburg. Of course, your mileage may vary. Good luck on the job hunt.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:41 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,399 times
I would suggest northern va as well because it pays the most and has the best schools. Although the cost of living is high and traffic does suck depending on where you work. Although I have a friend who lives 5 minutes away from her job in Vienna so maybe that could be you. I would suggest Vienna, Burke and Alexandria. Although what's your budget? And where are you coming from?

Old 06-20-2015, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,390 times
What did you mean by saying Hampton roads area... va.beach, norfolk, etc... is "challenging"?

Old 06-20-2015, 03:54 PM

Thanks everyone!! I am coming from Rochester Ny. I am use to shorter commute times but accepting the fact that commutes are probably much further in Virginia. I am also wondering about diversity. As I said before I have a young daughter, we are African American and I am concerned with us moving to a new city and most of her day being spent in school.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:29 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,826 times
Working hard, check out the employment opportunities on the Va. Supreme Court website. I cannot get it to come up, otherwise I would post a link. But you will find court jobs and magistrate jobs there.

You could work as a Magistrate. I suspect you would qualify to work as a Juvenile Intake Officer, but I'm not sure where to look for Juvenile Intake Officer jobs or Probation Officer jobs. Many of the court clerk jobs do not pay a lot.

Re: Hampton Roads. The traffic is awful due to the geography of the area. Folks who have to commute through a tunnel or over a major bridge will have long commutes. Any little glitch on the road results in backups. Major accidents result in major backups. If you go on the Hampton Roads subforum, there are plenty of posters who love living there. I am NOT one of them and for several reasons look forward to leaving one day. If one of them sees this post, they will likely post why my opinion is wrong, how Hampton Roads is a wonderful area and post a nasty remark that I should leave. Trust me, if I could leave today, I would. That's my opinion --- give me a mountain view or Richmond any day over Hampton Roads.

Good luck in your job search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia