Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 10:39 AM

382 posts, read 869,774 times

Advertisements

Hospitals- Augusta Health is between Staunton & Waynesboro, primary hospital for a lot of the area. Certified Stroke Center, Cancer & Cardiac services, Surgeries, ect.. Sentara Health is in Harrisonburg, same services as Augusta Health, just bigger. Charlottesville & Roanoke are the closest Level 1 trauma centers and can do anything you need medically. The hospital in Lexington(Carilion) is a small center and does not offer all services, they have even cut their OB/pregnancy services.(that should give some idea).

There is an airport near Harrisonburg(Shenandoah Valley Airport, in Weyers Cave) that connects to D.C. and some other major hubs, the Roanoke airport gets you more options.

Malls & Shopping- Malls are dying except for Roanoke & Charlottesville, Harrisonburg is OK. All the necessary stores are around the cities with more in Roanoke, Charlottesville, & Harrisonburg.

Amtrak runs from Staunton to Charlottesville first I believe(when going East) before going to Roanoke. It's easier just to drive to Charlottesville and get on, you can go from there to D.C.'s Union Station if you want.

Culture & Art- Yes, more to find in Roanoke & Charlottesville, but they are only a 1 hour, & 30 minute drive away respectively. Washington D.C. is only 2 &1/2 to 3 hour drive.

Last edited by emsman; 06-26-2015 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 02:49 PM

2,283 posts, read 4,074,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsman View Post

Amtrak runs from Staunton to Charlottesville first I believe(when going East) before going to Roanoke. It's easier just to drive to Charlottesville and get on, you can go from there to D.C.'s Union Station if you want.
NOTE that the Staunton Amtrak train goes to Charlottesville and DC but does NOT go to Roanoke. That is the CARDINAL that has 3 times a week service between Washington and Chicago (via Cincinnati and Indianapolis).

At present, Roanoke is linked to DC by a connector bus - you take the bus to Lynchburg - and then there are two daily trains between Lynchburg and DC (only one of which times along with the bus). Plans are to extend the Amtrak all the way to Roanoke, eliminating the connector bus!

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/427/412/...ule-040615.pdf

Old 06-26-2015, 03:35 PM

97 posts, read 189,323 times
I will echo what others have said...I'd be wary of Lexington if you have health needs. Staunton's probably the better bet. If you're in Lexington, you will be going to Roanoke for any serious health condition.

Lexington and Staunton are both nice. But be warned, Lexington is so small that you better enjoy a true small town lifestyle. You will quickly recognize almost every face you see in town after you've been there a couple of years. Staunton provides a little more anonymity. Again, that's each person's preference, but you should realize that Lexington shrinks from May to August when W&L and VMI are out of session.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:43 PM

171 posts, read 181,655 times
You won't go wrong with either city.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:19 PM

363 posts, read 558,302 times
To me it depends on what you want in a location.

Personally I would actually choose Charlottesville over both Lexington and Staunton, but that all depends on budget. You can not go wrong, but both are more small town like (lexington being the smaller of the two). Either one you can live a great life, but will probably want to travel to C'ville or Roanoke a time or two a year.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:36 PM

382 posts, read 869,774 times
Sorry for the mistake on my info saying the Amtrak went to Roanoke. Thanks for the catch and fix Watchful, I should have checked my info first before thinking I just knew. I hate to give wrong info and truly thank the correction. That was some good info on how the bus works to connect from Roanoke to Lynchburg to catch the Amtrak.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:30 PM

363 posts, read 558,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsman View Post
Sorry for the mistake on my info saying the Amtrak went to Roanoke. Thanks for the catch and fix Watchful, I should have checked my info first before thinking I just knew. I hate to give wrong info and truly thank the correction. That was some good info on how the bus works to connect from Roanoke to Lynchburg to catch the Amtrak.
In about a year you actually would have been half correct. Roanoke is getting amtrak back, but they are doing everything needed for it to run into the city. So do not feel too bad you were just ahead of the time.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:26 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,092,445 times
This is the Amtrak route that serves Staunton https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_(train)

Old 06-28-2015, 04:30 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,664,447 times
Lexington. Cleaner/cuter. Better colleges

Old 06-28-2015, 04:42 PM

566 posts, read 595,136 times
Are there a lot of empty storefronts and vacant buildings in downtown Staunton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia