Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 09:37 AM

9 posts, read 14,296 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm an European citizen and the 3rd of July I was pulled over for RD 83/70 plus failure to signal when I switched lanes (my fault, I thought I did, i was driving a friend's car).

I've been in the US for 10 months and I'm waiting for my work visa approval (should be approved in the next couple of days). I have a NC driving licence but it's unlikely whether I will work in NC or maybe even in the US.

The state trooper ticked the "no need to show up in court" box. Should I pay the fine, go there by myself or hire an attorney ?

Thank you !

PS: I haven't contracted to any insurance and my driving record is clean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 10:33 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,393,448 times
Pay the fine and move on.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:34 PM

566 posts, read 593,780 times
Virginia is tough on speeders. Sorry you have to endure this.
I would pay the ticket and drive in Virginia as though you were taking your drivers test.
If you're ever driving up I-81 be extra cautious about not speeding through Maryland.
A mere 8 mile stretch of highway has to make them some money so they are
very dilligent to hand out tickets.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:42 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,253,619 times
Don't listen to these people for crying out loud. If you can afford an attorney then hire one. Otherwise go to court and try to work out a deal for Improper Driving or Speeding 79/70.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:32 PM

Will the lawyer try to prove he wasn't going 13 miles an hour over the speed limit?
If he was doing 83, how can he avoid the truth of the fact?

Old 07-11-2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Will the lawyer try to prove he wasn't going 13 miles an hour over the speed limit?
If he was doing 83, how can he avoid the truth of the fact?

Lawyer doesn't need to prove anything. Deals are made everyday on minor cases to keep the courts from bogging down from too many trials. OP may be guilty but no reason they can't take advantage of the system that benefits thousands everyday across the state, and country.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:32 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
Quote:
Virginia is tough on speeders. Sorry you have to endure this.
I would pay the ticket and drive in Virginia as though you were taking your drivers test.
If you're ever driving up I-81 be extra cautious about not speeding through Maryland.
A mere 8 mile stretch of highway has to make them some money so they are
very dilligent to hand out tickets.

Seriously? Sorry he has to go through this? He admitted he was speeding and he has no insurance.
How sorry for him would you be had he hit your vehicle?

Original Poster: Pay the fine, slow down and quit driving until you get insurance.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Lawyer doesn't need to prove anything. Deals are made everyday on minor cases to keep the courts from bogging down from too many trials. OP may be guilty but no reason they can't take advantage of the system that benefits thousands everyday across the state, and country.
Now this may be true, but it certainly sounds corrupt.

Thank you for your input.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Now this may be true, but it certainly sounds corrupt.

Thank you for your input.
Nothing corrupt about it. The whole justice tempered with mercy thing. I saw many days where there were anywhere from 100-300 traffic cases on the docket in just ONE courtroom and there were numerous courtrooms. There would be anywhere from 5-15 officers. Many of these also had misdemeanor and felony cases as well. If deals were not made the system would be so deadlocked it would be horrendous. These deals made by the prosecutors allow things to keep moving at a decent pace and even then you still see long days as they (prosecutors and defendants) will refuse to plea and deal. So no, not corrupt.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:40 PM

14 posts, read 20,527 times
At this speed, it is a lot easier for lawyers to reduce it down to a simple speeding ticket. Do NOT pay the fine otherwise you will get a misdemeanor on your record, and that's not good. Get an attorney to work on this for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia