Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 4,485 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! I'm new to the forums, but I decided to join so I can get some help with choosing my family's next big move My wife and I are both teachers and we are looking to move our young and growing family to the Shenandoah or SW Virginia. I am also an aspiring school administrator. We are both from a suburb of Dallas and just need to make a change ( tired of only two seasons, rapid urbanization, and rising crime). We love all the towns and counties along 81 (i.e. Abingdon, Blacksburg area, Roanoke/Salem, Staunton, Winchester) and some of the surrounding areas like Page and Albemarle counties. We're looking for an area with a steady school system, quality medical facilities (OBGYN services too!), low crime, and beautiful scenery. Fairly cheap land would also be a plus, as we would like to buy some acreage for a small hobby farm. Culturally we are Southern, fairly conservative, and mainstream Protestant. Any input and/or insights y'all can offer about these regions would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to move in the next year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 04:11 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,266,154 times
I've been in VA since 73, NOVA, but my wife and I just moved to Edinburg in Shenandoah Co. You can't find more beautiful country than this area. I started looking in Frederick Co (Winchester) area but could find few homes that truly had mountain views which was a must for us. I can't speak for the schools though as our kids are grown. Near us is Valley Medical Center and everyone I work with that lives out this way loves this smaller hospital. it's a part of the Winchester Medical center which is a regional hospital and is huge and growing and has an excellent reputation.

You can go further south in VA along 81 and also find beautiful views but the further south you go the less populated areas you will see.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the response Bigfoot! How would you characterize the people where you are?

Old 08-03-2015, 02:13 PM

Everyone is waving as I pass them in my vehicle and I'm still unsure how to respond. But seriously, so far the people I've met have been very friendly.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:59 PM

238 posts, read 338,982 times
Rhett 125 I would suggest you look at Montgomery County in SW Va. It is the home of Va Tech, a mostly rural area adjacent to
the large Roanoke medical centers. Blacksburg is the fastest growing town in Va, and one of the fastest small metros in the U.S.
Beautiful unspoiled scenery and a great school system in this County. Real estate prices are lower and there are higher elevation
of mountains as the more south you travel down the Blue Ridge, Appalachians. The culture is more Protestant and conservative
than northern parts of the state. There are even more rural areas such as Floyd County nearby where many Va Tech people live.
The Roanoke Valley is mostly urban and farms are rare but there are some good school districts and great views. Anyway, the
2 areas have become inter connected with new Amtrak train to DC in a year and improved air service from the Roanoke Blacksburg airport. Soon, non stop flights to DFW are planned. Good Luck in your search!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:03 PM

Thanks Gardner. I expect I'm going to have to look more into the somewhat larger and growing areas like Blacksburg. I've heard that some of the smaller communities are harder to break into since all of the social circles are established and not as open to outsiders moving in. Do you think that is usually the case?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Nothing large at all about Blacksburg. IMO still a very small community considering the college there.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett125 View Post
Thanks Gardner. I expect I'm going to have to look more into the somewhat larger and growing areas like Blacksburg. I've heard that some of the smaller communities are harder to break into since all of the social circles are established and not as open to outsiders moving in. Do you think that is usually the case?
Blacksburg is not a sprawling dysfunctional suburban freeway common these days. It is a livable community with greenways,
cultural offerings and access to Va Tech. "Outsiders" are the norm in Blacksburg and it has a large international community.
There are so many people moving from these large cities looking for a more livable place, especially Millennials who are changing the landscape. Roanoke has a large international community and a big outdoors scene and not much traffic and
many "Big" City amenities. Come and check out the area and Good Luck in your change!

Old 08-06-2015, 12:14 PM

795 posts, read 1,012,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
Blacksburg is not a sprawling dysfunctional suburban freeway common these days. It is a livable community with greenways,
cultural offerings and access to Va Tech. "Outsiders" are the norm in Blacksburg and it has a large international community.
There are so many people moving from these large cities looking for a more livable place, especially Millennials who are changing the landscape. Roanoke has a large international community and a big outdoors scene and not much traffic and
many "Big" City amenities. Come and check out the area and Good Luck in your change!
Interesting, I didn't realize it was so international down that way. Thought NOVA was the only place in VA that had that going on.
Curious to know, what is the international community made up of down that way?

Old 08-06-2015, 07:24 PM

Tech has over 2500 international students, the largest in the state. George Mason is a close second. Many foreign students
go for math, science, engineering degrees. I believe the engineering school is the most popular school for international students.
Nearby Roanoke has nationalities/cultures of over 100 countries. Every year a local festival called "Local Colors" hosts an event
bringing music, dancing, food vendors downtown. It is one of the biggest festivals of the year each Spring. It is unique and it is
worth a visit. Roanoke City has Vietnamese sub shops, cafes, restaurants, markets. There are Indian restaurants and now a fast
food Indian shop. The Roanoke Greek Festival is in September with food, dancing music. It lasts for 2 days. There are Latin
clothing shops, restaurants, taco cantinas, Lebanese restaurant, Hookah bars, spanish only establishments, Asian massage
parlors no doubt. In Roanoke City at least diversity is widespread, as well as Blacksburg. Outside of these 2 cities people
are overwhelmingly WASP, unlike No Va of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia