Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 07:05 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times

Advertisements

Your favorite town/city in Virginia (?)

Elaborate if you'd like. I'm curious to hear your thoughts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 01:38 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Of all the small towns I've been to personally, Farmville gets my vote. I lived in Farmville from 2009-2011 and amazed me how well kept and clean the downtown area was, especially around Longwood University and the 3rd Street/Main Street intersection. The people for the most part were real friendly, traffic wasn't bad and there wasn't much crime. Probably the biggest thing that won me over is the healthcare there. A couple of months after we first moved there, my dad had to go to Centra Southside Community Hospital there when he got real sick and they discovered he had a bad MRSA infection in his foot due to a screwup by Johnston Memorial Hospital in Smithfield, NC. They went above and beyond to save his foot, which they did. His doctor, Dr. Robert Wade, was a damn good doctor. Unfortunately, we ended up moving to Danville, which in my opinion, is a toilet that somebody forgot to flush but I don't want to hijack the thread so I won't go into that. My only gripe about Farmville is that it's far from any major city if you want to shop somewhere other than Walmart or Food Lion.

TL;DR:Farmville.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:03 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Alexandria, Middleburg, Leesburg

Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Winchester -- pretty large, well-preserved Historic District with downtown shopping/restaurants and fabulous houses. Apple Blossom is the epitome of Americana with the parades, parties, carnivals etc. The people are delightful and because they're not stuck in traffic three hours a day, they have time for civic involvement. There are many garden clubs, book clubs, Rotary, Moose, Lions, churches etc, as well city committees of citizens overseeing everything from the repair of sidewalks to trees to Historic Preservation.

There are large corporations (Trex, American Woodmark, Rubbermaid, White House apple products) and small businesses so the local economy is pretty stable.

There is reasonable shopping -- Target, Home Depot, Dicks Sporting Goods, Bed Bath & Beyond, a small mall for day-to-day stuff. Most of the chain restaurants as well as wonderful independent restaurants on the downtown Walking Mall.

Best of all -- you're only an hour and half or so to Tysons and DC but you're surrounded by beautiful farmland (lots of apple orchards).

Really a wonderful community with four distinct seasons but none that are particularly brutal.

P.S. I still love Lynchburg but Winchester has the advantage of being close to DC for major entertainment and travel.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:39 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
I'll pick where I live, Middleburg.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:04 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Winchester -- pretty large, well-preserved Historic District with downtown shopping/restaurants and fabulous houses. Apple Blossom is the epitome of Americana with the parades, parties, carnivals etc. The people are delightful and because they're not stuck in traffic three hours a day, they have time for civic involvement. There are many garden clubs, book clubs, Rotary, Moose, Lions, churches etc, as well city committees of citizens overseeing everything from the repair of sidewalks to trees to Historic Preservation.

There are large corporations (Trex, American Woodmark, Rubbermaid, White House apple products) and small businesses so the local economy is pretty stable.

There is reasonable shopping -- Target, Home Depot, Dicks Sporting Goods, Bed Bath & Beyond, a small mall for day-to-day stuff. Most of the chain restaurants as well as wonderful independent restaurants on the downtown Walking Mall.

Best of all -- you're only an hour and half or so to Tysons and DC but you're surrounded by beautiful farmland (lots of apple orchards).

Really a wonderful community with four distinct seasons but none that are particularly brutal.

P.S. I still love Lynchburg but Winchester has the advantage of being close to DC for major entertainment and travel.

Being located at the "top of Virginia" Winchester also has the advantage of being close to multiple states and several large cities too. West Virginia is only 9 miles from Winchester and Maryland & Pennsylvania can be reached within an hour. When I lived in Winchester being so close to Pennsylvania was actually a big deal for my neighbors at the time as they were big on PA's theme parks such as Hersheypark and Dorney for examples. Even Kennywood really isn't too far from Winchester either since it's only a three hour drive to Pittsburgh. Not only is DC close by but so is Baltimore ( less than 2 hours ) and a day trip even to Philly from Winchester can be done. Since I now live in Denver I actually miss those days. If I want to get out of Denver and visit another large city that means either a trip to the airport or spend an entire day and then some on the road to visit Kansas City, Phoenix or Las Vegas.

If I had to pick my favorite Virginia town it would be Winchester with Front Royal being close behind.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:01 AM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
Being located at the "top of Virginia"..
If I had to pick my favorite Virginia town it would be Winchester, Front Royal being close behind.
I'll add that northwest Virginia is a physically beautiful area also. It's one of my favorite places to see in the wintertime. Areas around Rte 50 (John Mosby Hwy), Rte 17.. Sky Meadows State Park, etc. Looks awesome with a little snow, & a winter sunset.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:49 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
I like Abington, Galax, Staunton, Leesburg, Winchester, Cape Charles and Kilmarnock

Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
i live in botetourt county, right outside of roanoke...there are so many great little towns in this area and surrounding counties, franklin, floyd...i also love charlottesville and the surrounding area...and the poster who said farmville, love that area too! virginia has too many great places to pick just one imo...but i think my most favorite would be colonial williamsburg...i would LOVE to have one of those old houses there and could walk that area morning till night, every day!

Old 08-30-2015, 10:01 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
Cutest "town" I've seen in virginia is middleburg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia