Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 10:48 PM

15 posts, read 14,477 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow forum members. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
My husband and I are moving to VA (from New Orleans) to get closer to my sister in Richmond. My husband loves the valley, however, I would like to start off renting a home somewhere in the northern part.(as far south as Harrisonburg to as far north as Winchester-but if another area comes to mind, I am open) I will work from home but need to travel twice a month (out of DC) so for the first year or two this area would be best, I think.

We want to have a year or two to explore the valley and see where we want to set roots (we want about 20 acres for a small farm rescue and maybe some farming) We would like a small town feel, friendly people and a middle -upper class area, historic areas and buildings a plus. Low crime (but I feel any area is better than New Orleans), I also love farmers markets and buying local so that would be a plus also. I like festivals, but not into bars. I am a singer so if there are those type of venues, like a piano or jazz bar that is a plus but not necessary.
My husband would be looking for work at a college so that would need to be within commuting distance. We have no children so schools are not a factor.
I also have some minor chronic medical issues so being within 30 mins of a decent hospital would be nice.
Lastly, we want to be outdoors, we love the water, and wildlife so being around those is a plus also.

May be a tall order, but moving for the 1st time in my life has me a bit nervous, but excited.

Where in that area would I find these items?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 02:19 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
You will love the valley. My wife and I just moved from Northern VA to the valley. We're 30 minutes north of Harrisonburg. Winchester will not fit your bill as far as valley life. If you want the views you'll need to stay south a little. I'm 12 minutes from Woodstock which I think you'd like. There are so many activities out here in the little town you'll have a hard time keeping track of them. Woodstock's hospital is part of the Winchester system which is an excellent one at that. Great reputation. The hospital in Woodstock is smaller but friends at work have been going there for years and they like it. Winchester hospital is about 35 minutes north for us if we need a bigger hospital.

There are so many towns out this way so recommending one is tough. But you should have no problems finding the rental that fits your bill. The mountain views in the valley are incredible.

James Madison and Shenandoah Universities are the 2 larger ones within commuting drives from the valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia