Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2015, 10:08 PM

11 posts, read 12,060 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! I'm a college senior deciding between two job offers: one in Seattle, WA and the other in Reston, VA. I am leaning towards the latter (because of the company and role), but would still appreciate any input if anyone knows about Seattle.

If I went with the Reston offer, I'd try to rent around the Virginia area. My primary concerns are:
1) Rent: I'd be willing to share an apartment/townhouse/loft and pay UP TO $2,000 from my end
2) Nightlife: As a young college grad, I'm definitely looking for a place close to DC or other areas with good nightlife
3) Overall cost of living and taxes: From what I understand, VA and of course DC as a whole are A LOT pricier than Seattle... so if I did move there, I'd like to be able to afford it (again, being a recent college grad who does want to start saving up for the future)
4) Public transportation: Driving makes me anxious, and while I understand it's inevitable, I'd prefer to keep my driving to a minimum

In terms of commute to work (Reston, VA), I would prefer 45 minutes or less.

A friend of mine recommended McLean/Tyson's area. What do you guys think?

I appreciate all the help I can get!

Last edited by deutschophile; 11-26-2015 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 08:11 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,742,737 times
well i live down here outside of roanoke and had to google reston because i wasn't sure where it was lol (i'm originally from the west coast)...anyways, i've been to seattle and never really cared for it, although i never lived there so i'm not an expert...but if i had a choice between the 2 i'd pick dc...just seems so much more exciting...i'm pretty sure they have good public transportation there as well although we drive when we visit but if i had to drive in dc daily i'd be majorly stressed! good luck to you!

Old 12-24-2015, 03:26 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,662,686 times
For tech world Seattle. WA also has no income tax. Better nightlife/food. But it is expensive and weather is not for everyone. Lived in Seattle for 24 years before retiring to VA.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:57 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,336,404 times
If you will be working in Reston why not live in Reston? I think you could get an apt for $2k or less/month and you wouldn't deal with a work commute. It's not like there isn't anything to do around Reston and you could still go into DC when you want to.

(Reston is not DC.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: