Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 03:56 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,544,647 times

Advertisements

I am right in the middle of writing an article and can't find this information (readily) by searching Google, so thought I would ask here.

There is a granite monument on the lawn of the Fairfax County Courthouse. There are cannons on either side of it. Can anyone tell me what the monument is?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 04:05 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,442,110 times
Repost under the Northern Virginia sub forum and chances are you will have better luck. Another idea, check the Fairfax County courthouse website and/or Fairfax County library genealogy section. Don't know the answer but I've always thought it was interesting how the cannons there still point north.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:11 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,544,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Repost under the Northern Virginia sub forum and chances are you will have better luck. Another idea, check the Fairfax County courthouse website and/or Fairfax County library genealogy section. Don't know the answer but I've always thought it was interesting how the cannons there still point north.
Thanks, I will post there.

I am currently on their website...and see nice pictures (even tried enlarging the picture, but it just blurs the words.)

Thanks.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:14 PM

777 posts, read 1,877,063 times
It's the Marr Monument. Took me two seconds to find it on Google.

City of Fairfax, VA : Map of History

Timeline of Fairfax County History*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Old 04-09-2016, 04:17 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,442,110 times
Here's another website with info on the inscription and pics.

Monument to John Q. Marr Marker

Old 04-11-2016, 07:08 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,968,121 times
I really enjoyed reviewing the Fairfax County timeline for the 1900's. It brought back so many childhood memories, one of the most profound being my dad rounding up the family on a clear Spring day and going up to where Crate and Barrel is at Tyson's Corner (back then, it would have been on the back side of Shakeys). The skies were clear and we could see DC burning from the riots after King was assassinated. I wonder if my father ever realized what an impact that made on me.

I didn't see Hurricane Agnes on the timeline. There was so much destruction from that storm, flooding I have not seen repeated here.

I remember Wolftrap opening, but how many remember it burning?

We were overseas when the Beltway was completed, but when we returned to the DC area, I remember my dad being fascinated that it was finally finished. I remember taking a literal Sunday drive to check it out and drive the entire route. Other Sunday drives included heading to Thelma's in Great Falls or
Grifford's in Falls Church.......sorry, memory lane.

But back on track, thanks for the info on the Marr Monument, there are so many markers around, I don't know the history to - but we are also in a super-rich history area. This area and Boston.......you could spend a lifetime going from marker to marker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia