Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:08 PM

7 posts, read 12,081 times

Advertisements

Dear All

I am looking to move to the state of Virginia within about a year with my three year old little girl. I am a single mom and Im looking to start anew. Currently I live in New York but Ive grown tired of living here. I am an assistant manager for a luxury retail brand but trying to get into nursing for RN. Ive heard the state of Virginia is beautiful and has some pretty affordable and safe areas to raise your children/or raise a family. I would like to get an idea of what are the best area(s) for a single mom to raise a child? Also Im debating wether to take my nursing education out there or here. Not sure how the job market is out there with retail and what community colleges offer a good nursing program - that is why I am asking. Could you please be so kind to give me an idea of what areas to look into? Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 07:45 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,275,580 times
Not knowing your budget it's kind of hard to answer. But Winchester, VA might be a good place to start. The nursing program at Shenandoah University is supposed to be a very good one but this is all word of mouth from friends. Winchester puts you close to NOVA/DC area but is a lower cost of living.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:01 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,472,195 times
Winchester is wonderful but Shenandoah is private and not cheap. Lord Fairfax Community College could get you started but then there's no state university to finish.

Pick a smaller city with a lower cost of living and community college program to get you started to save money. Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Farmville, Radford, Newport News all have four year universities to continue. Once you establish residency VA has a great college system. Lynchburg has a community college and Liberty, while private, it's more affordable than Shenandoah.

Best of luck.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:15 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,275,580 times
You're right on Shenandoah not being cheap.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:39 AM

7,193 posts, read 6,859,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Winchester is wonderful but Shenandoah is private and not cheap. Lord Fairfax Community College could get you started but then there's no state university to finish.

Pick a smaller city with a lower cost of living and community college program to get you started to save money. Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Farmville, Radford, Newport News all have four year universities to continue. Once you establish residency VA has a great college system. Lynchburg has a community college and Liberty, while private, it's more affordable than Shenandoah.

Best of luck.
I can vouch for Farmville. It's a nice town with low crime and a good local hospital. I lived there from 2009-2011 before moving to the outskirts of Damnville (for future reference OP, don't ever move to Danville. It blows in just about every category). I don't have much knowledge of Longwood University, though. Farmville's biggest drawback is that it's rather isolated, so if you want better shopping and amenities, you'll have to drive to Lynchburg, which is around 60 miles away, give or take a few, or Richmond, which is about 70-75 miles away. I can't speak for the other cities, since I never lived in them. Lynchburg didn't seem that bad during the few times I've been there.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:14 PM

485 posts, read 692,089 times
I believe JMU - Harrisonburg has a good nursing program. Roanoke has a nursing program and is great for raising kids.

Charlottesville is a little pricier but has a lot of medical revolving around DC.

I live in Richmond area and a lot of medical around - Chesterfield (west side) and western Henrico are excellent areas to raise kids.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:15 AM

2,285 posts, read 4,080,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl1 View Post
Roanoke has a nursing program and is great for raising kids.
Home | jchs

Old 04-21-2016, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,174 times
I heard about Portsmouth LPN Progams (campus-based programs as well as online LPN programs) are medical training programs. LPN programs are typically offered at vocational schools, technical schools, state colleges, nursing universities, online LPN programs, and other higher education institutions. Also if you need to get a moving service , I have known that vamovers.com is cheaper then other companies, but actually need to find out.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:36 AM

7 posts, read 12,081 times
Dear All;

In response to all the comments I would like to thank everyone for their input. To reiterate Im a single mother with a 3 year old little girl looking to move to the state of Virginia close to the end of the year. Although, I am interested in enrolling in a good nursing program with decent/good community college. Currently I work as a supervisor in high-end retail and would need to continue in that direction until I gain residency. So I would really need find an affordable city or town to move to. One in which is safe to raise kids but also affordable. My current apt here is $1000.00/month. Being I live in the city I commute via NYC Public Transit and not knowing much about VA other than its a good state to live in. I have a feeling I would need to invest into a vehicle which Im willing to do so if need be. Do any of these cities or towns meet this criteria? Thank you all once again.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:46 AM

4,615 posts, read 6,414,806 times
Much of VA is rural, comprised of smaller towns/cities which will have little in the way of high end retail. Public transit in less populated areas will be different than in NYC...finding rentals in the $1K range will be difficult in metro areas that do have public transit and high end retail.

Here is a link to local Public Transportation in Virginia.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia