Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 10:30 PM

187 posts, read 226,769 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Well this is the story, I will be graduating with a bsn in 2 years and my mom and I want to move then. We really like Orlando, but have looked at Williamsburg a lot too, so I thought I'd explore it some more.

What I'm most worried about in Williamsburg is it's said to be dead in nontourist seasons. I like being around a lot of people and activity. I think VA is a gorgeous state and the people have always been wonderful.

But what is there to do in Williamsburg for a 21-22 year old?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:30 AM

83 posts, read 113,409 times
Williamsburg is a 12 month tourist season. But there is higher "traffic" during summer when kids are out of school. No worries about things to do through the year.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:12 AM

119 posts, read 343,811 times
I don't know about things to do in Williamsburg the city itself, but if you have a car you will be 30 minutes to 1 hour away from Tidewater (Norfolk/VA Beach) 1 hour from Richmond and about 2.5 from DC. So you should not be bored if you are willing to leave your house.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:41 PM

73 posts, read 107,211 times
There are a lot of cultural offerings--but not the club scene that you would find in Orlando.
I've heard that people past college age and pre-retirement frequently feel that Williamsburg has little to offer.
Richmond, right up the road, has a lot to offer. Lots of shopping in Newport News. Then there are the beaches 1.5--3 hours away.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:53 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
There are three ice-skating rinks in the Williamsburg - Yorktown area..... A water adventure park..... Many cultural events connected with the College of William and Mary (2nd oldest campus in the U.S.)..... The local, Busch Gardens is America's prettiest theme/ amusement park, and very entertaining..... Many shopping outlets stores..... some outstanding golf courses.

The immediate Williamsburg area is rather sterile and clean-cut, upscale, and geared toward tourists..... I've never noticed any night-clubs, or anything sleazy or "edgey" on my many trips there. If they exist, they must be carefully hidden away -- perhaps on the side-roads, instead of Route 60 ?.....There was a horse racetrack "Colonial Downs" 30 minutes away, but it may have recently closed down ?

Last edited by slowlane3; 08-08-2016 at 09:07 PM..

Old 08-12-2016, 05:11 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,359,230 times
You can control your "recreation", how and where you spend your free time...what you cannot control are things like job market, cost of living, including state, local, and vehicle taxes, weather....once you compare those catagories, how does each city on your list measure up ? With a BSN degree, you should be able to find suitable employment almost anywhere, however a word of caution, when choosing a city (like Charlotte for instance) where one hospital chain has the majority of the market sewn up, you will be limiting your options.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 08-16-2016, 06:01 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,520 times
I would post this in the Hampton Roads section. I think you might be a little bored if you are in your early to mid 20's. I live here and love it but need to head to Richmond, Norfolk and beyond for more cultural enrichment. I think our median home price is double that of Orlando so keep that in mind also. $155k in Orlando versus $315k here in Williamsburg

Old 08-17-2016, 04:49 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,989 times
I went to W&M when I was about your age. If you're hanging around the campus, there's a ton to do. There's some cool stuff in the area around the college.

But as a whole? Nah, you'll be bored, or have to travel to outside areas.

Summer is a lot of fun.

Winter is like you said: pretty dead.

It's also relatively pricey and professional jobs in the Williamsburg area are pretty scarce.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:29 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
There are few "clubs" anywhere around Va....maybe in Richmond or DC....but the trip to DC is horrendous. You were told 2.5 hours...but traffic can extend that by more than an hour very easily. Traffic is God-awful on both I-64 and I-95! All the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia