Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 02:27 PM

40 posts, read 158,145 times

Advertisements

Hi all you posters,
I will be scanning throught the entire VA beach threads to get a better feel for the area. My 23 yr. old daughter is getting ready to fly out on her own and VA beach is just stuck in her head. When my daughters were small. I'd rent a beach house for a week or so, brought a sitter with me and I attended the Edgar Cayce Institute. Late afternoons and evenings were saved for my kids where we spent hours on the beach catching those crabs in a bucket. They have fond memories of beach life with all its summery tourist shops, lobster dinners and art festivals.
Anyway, my daughter is a massage therapist and is in the process of Kiniseology training. She has great respect for the Edgar Cayce Institute and will probably take some courses there but at any rate would like to be in the holistic field.
I've told her about all the handsome military men who train in sets on the beach. That is one of MY fondest memories. Don't go beating me up now, I'm a single mom so I'm allowed to look.
OK, getting back to my baby girl, she'll need to be in a place that's safe so I won't worry so much. I think $700-$850 in rent would be all she can afford. I just read a post that said to include the pie or cake so here goes. She wants a small town vibe with city excitement. She is 23 after all. Originally from NY, spent 14 wonderful years in the Poconos, 4 years in WPB, FL and she's been stuck in rural SC for 2 years which is far too long. It's time for her to have some fun and excitement while maintaining her dedicated work ethics. Travel time to work should be no more than 1/2 hour but she needs to find a job first. It just cost me $15 to get a relocation package sent to us from the VA beach Chamber of Commerce but personally there's nothing like city-data posters to be of the most help. She'd like to be walking distance to the beach so I guess that's about 3 or 4 blocks in. Any suggestions as to apt. complex's or certain areas to avoid would be greatly appreciated. I told her to check out city-data on her own and start posting but she's so busy working all the time so I've been recruited.
Be kind...... and share any stories you have. I'm hungry for information. PS: She has 2 cats so a pet friendly complex is neccessary...... a pool would be nice too.
Thanks much everyone,
Starr

Last edited by starr1258; 02-27-2008 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: forgot to add stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 03:27 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
$700-850 may be slightly diffcult to do in VA Beach. I'm from the Hampton Roads (includes VA Beach) and i'm 19. I'm trying to get out on my own and the reason why VA Beach and HR are out of the question as places to move to is the standard of living. It has skyrocketed since 2000. If you want small-town excitement with a city-vibe Hampton (my hometown, 30 min from VA Beach) may not be a bad place to look. Slightly cheaper than VA Beach.

VA Beach is a great city but all I'm saying is there may be better towns to start out for your daughter.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
$700-850 may be slightly diffcult to do in VA Beach. I'm from the Hampton Roads (includes VA Beach) and i'm 19. I'm trying to get out on my own and the reason why VA Beach and HR are out of the question as places to move to is the standard of living. It has skyrocketed since 2000. If you want small-town excitement with a city-vibe Hampton (my hometown, 30 min from VA Beach) may not be a bad place to look. Slightly cheaper than VA Beach.

VA Beach is a great city but all I'm saying is there may be better towns to start out for your daughter.
Thanks Alanboy for the quick response. What attributes of HR stand out for you? Rent prices, things to do, great jobs etc. I don't want her to feel lonely or isolated and she is moving there for the beach life. Maybe 15 minutes drive from the beach would be OK for her.
I'll contue to pick your brain till you tell me to stop.
LOL
Starr

Old 02-27-2008, 04:11 PM

73 posts, read 475,470 times
Default Chick's Beach

I lived in Va. Beach for seven years -- most of my 20's were spent there, and it served my purpose well. Getting out on my own, away from parents so I had responsibility for myself, plenty of things to do. That said, it will be very hard for your daughter to find a safe place to live on her own in that price range. However, have her look on roommates.com or maybe even craigslist for a room to rent. I knew a group of three friends who rented a house in Chick's Beach for somewhere in the neighborhood of $1200 a month for a year's lease (wintertime rent is cheap, summertime rent is out of control if you're doing a month-to-month, so if she's planning to stay for a couple of years, a year's lease would be a fairly inexpensive way to do it).

If you're not familiar with it, Chick's Beach is just up the road from the Edgar Cayce Institute. The Navy base and First Landing State Park (beautiful) are between the two. I would highly recommend finding a room for rent in this area; it's safer than other areas (though many Oceanfront areas are much nicer than when I lived there) and probably not impossible to find a house or apartment for rent with roommates in her price range. There are also some fun clubs, though they tore down the Duck Inn, everybody's favorite.

If she's looking for a job, I used to get my massages at Virginia Beach Massage Therapy on Independence Blvd. and loved their people. I'm sure there are places closer to Chick's Beach though.

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starr1258 View Post
Thanks Alanboy for the quick response. What attributes of HR stand out for you? Rent prices, things to do, great jobs etc. I don't want her to feel lonely or isolated and she is moving there for the beach life. Maybe 15 minutes drive from the beach would be OK for her.
I'll contue to pick your brain till you tell me to stop.
LOL
Starr
A few things that stand out is the area is mostly blue-collar and military, the people are pretty civil (something that never happens in NoVA where i live now), and everything you need is within 30 minutes (including Buckroe Beach in Hampton and VA Beach oceanfront). Another thing that stands out is that all 7 cities have their own feel and identity. A few are similar in feel (Hampton/Newport News, Norfolk/Portsmouth) but all have their own identity.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 AM

Default A thank you for info

Thank you so much Alanboy and Ryleigh.................
Sorry it's taken a few days to let you know how much I appreciate the ideas. We still haven't recieved our VA beach package from the Chamber of Commerce. She will certainly check into the places you've suggested. She's a little scared about the roommate thing and I myself have been telling her that a roommate would be ideal but I guess once she's there, she might feel differently.
Many thanks again,
Starr

Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 AM

126 posts, read 596,145 times
If I were in her shoes, I would drive the streets of the non condo neighborhoods between the Northend and Chick's Beach. Often these areas have owner managed rentals like small duplexes, cottages, and garage apartments. These are found only by the signs that the owners put up.

$750-800 / mo. is doable with some searching.

Cape Story By The Sea is a great neighborhood on the bay that has quite a few old beach cottages mixed in with newer homes. Also the bike path to the state park runs right thru the neighborhood.

-Mark

Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sr. View Post
If I were in her shoes, I would drive the streets of the non condo neighborhoods between the Northend and Chick's Beach. Often these areas have owner managed rentals like small duplexes, cottages, and garage apartments. These are found only by the signs that the owners put up.

$750-800 / mo. is doable with some searching.

Cape Story By The Sea is a great neighborhood on the bay that has quite a few old beach cottages mixed in with newer homes. Also the bike path to the state park runs right thru the neighborhood.

-Mark
Thanks Mark Sr,
We spent hours last night going through everything the Chamber sent and she was getting a little disheartened, so seeing this today will give her hope again. Now, it's just a matter of getting work time off to scout out these neighborhoods,
Thanks again,
Starr

Old 04-09-2008, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,996 times
Thumbs up Not Just another Job- We Are A Family

Starr, I work at Zen Massage and love it! We are currently looking for certified ,licensed, and insured massage therapists. Check out our website at ZenMassageUSA.com. The number to Virginia Beach location is (757)962-2999. If they ask how you heard about them give them my name (Sara). Hope this helps you and your daughter out. Good Luck with your search!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:01 PM

Default job in VA beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen View Post
Starr, I work at Zen Massage and love it! We are currently looking for certified ,licensed, and insured massage therapists. Check out our website at ZenMassageUSA.com. The number to Virginia Beach location is (757)962-2999. If they ask how you heard about them give them my name (Sara). Hope this helps you and your daughter out. Good Luck with your search!

Hi Sara,
Thanks so much for sending this opportunity. I checked out the site and treatments are very inexpensive. Is there also a salary or just a percentage? I can't wait for my daughter to check it out herself. At least it will give her hope for an easy transition.
Thanks again,
Starr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia