Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 10:05 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
My favorite place so far in Carroll County has been that drive up I-77/I-81 through the gap where you can just see the whole valley and everything. I guess that's Fancy Gap(?)I do alot of photographing each time I go through there,which is only every few years.
That was probably Cana, VA. Fancy Gap is a bit farther up the road, at the intersection of 52/58. If you want to get a neat bird's eye view, plug Cana, Va into Mapquest and then <click> the aerial image button. As you zoom in, you can see how I-77 skirts the edge, kind of like putting a road at the edge of an escarpment. Spiffy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 10:03 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
That was probably Cana, VA. Fancy Gap is a bit farther up the road, at the intersection of 52/58. If you want to get a neat bird's eye view, plug Cana, Va into Mapquest and then <click> the aerial image button. As you zoom in, you can see how I-77 skirts the edge, kind of like putting a road at the edge of an escarpment. Spiffy!
I did go to Mapquest and do that but it didn't seem very impressive. I always like looking at the pictures I've taken while on I-77 of the views of the entire valley. I thought that was the Gap,because I looked up motels there and they show the view from the top of the mountain.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,057 times
I have a beautiful old home in Chilhowie VA for sale. It has over 3400 sq ft and was built in 1920. It is located on a tree lined street, that many residents walk on. Chilhowie is a beautiful small town with such lovely people. The kind who are truly your friend. The beauty of this house begins on the front porch. It looks like a magazine. We have a lovely curved stairway. The ceilings are 101/2 ft tall and the rooms are so large. We even have an old sleeping porch. The house has been completely remodeled and beautifully decorated. We are selling it either with or without furniture. If you are in the area we would love to show you. Truly and old mansion at a very reasonable price.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:08 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Funny,I once dated a girl in Saltville. Not far from Chilhowie I believe,at least that's what the highway signs said...right near Hungry Mother State Park

Old 01-17-2007, 07:26 PM

69 posts, read 394,121 times
I love visiting the southwestern VA mountains. From Abingdon to Roanoke, this whole area is very pretty and scenic filled with friendly folks. That area between Wytheville and the WV border contains some of the East's most scenic areas. There is a laid back atmosphere and driving the interstates there are very pleasant because of the scenery and because most of the drivers are not in a rush, like points further north and south.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
You are just that, Steven2149. I've been intently reading many of your posts and using them in planning my trip in June to southwestern VA where I hope to relocate within the next five years or so. I think you have me hooked on the Roanoke area as it doesn't seem to be growing by leaps and bounds and that's good for me. I don't want to live in Roanoke and probably not even the county, but at least 30 miles or so away.

I know you've mentioned Giles County to me. Do you know anything about Craig, Lee, Scott, and other western counties? I've received a few posts about Craig but am always wanting to learn more. I'm learning all I can on the web, but it's always nice to hear it first hand from someone who knows.

I just want to be in a place where the weather is usually delightful and I definitely am hoping the place I choose won't grow like crazy in my lifetime. I've given up on the mountains of NC and TN because of the people moving in rapidly. No, thank you! I'd love a view of the mountains from my home and every time I travel not too far from home.

Do you think Floyd, Carroll, and Grayson counties have the great view of the mountains as I am certain the counties further west do?

Thanks Steven2149 or anyone else who can clue me in.
I am a realtor in Florida and just moved to SW VA and I love it. I've worked with large developers and I have had the opportunity to visit the mountains of NC and TN but SW VA really is perfect.

Look into Smyth CO and Tazwell for a couple of great counties that will offer the land and not be developed too soon.
Best of luck,
B.S.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:11 PM

46 posts, read 152,593 times
How about fixinta, pronounced fix-in-ta????
Like I'm fixinta do something!!!! OR kindaya, kin-to-ya, as in, Are they related to you or kin to you, LOL? My northern inlaws get a kick out of some of my southern slang!!!!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:51 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,862 times
It seems like people on this (and moreso on other threads) include a lot of places not really that far southwest in Virginia as Southwest Virginia. I've seen everything from Blacksburg, Roanoke, Lexington, even Lynchburg and Martinsville and Danville as being listed in Southwest Virginia. Virginia goes all the way west to Cumberland Gap, for heaven's sake. To me, living in an area that borders the REAL southwestern part of Virginia, as far as I'm concerned, true Southwest Virginia starts where 77 and 81 bisect, around Wytheville and Max Meadows area. You really want to see far Southwest Virginia, go to Lee County, where Jonesville, Pennington Gap, Ewing, and yes, the famous Cumberland Gap are.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:32 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
It seems like people on this (and moreso on other threads) include a lot of places not really that far southwest in Virginia as Southwest Virginia. I've seen everything from Blacksburg, Roanoke, Lexington, even Lynchburg and Martinsville and Danville as being listed in Southwest Virginia. Virginia goes all the way west to Cumberland Gap, for heaven's sake. To me, living in an area that borders the REAL southwestern part of Virginia, as far as I'm concerned, true Southwest Virginia starts where 77 and 81 bisect, around Wytheville and Max Meadows area. You really want to see far Southwest Virginia, go to Lee County, where Jonesville, Pennington Gap, Ewing, and yes, the famous Cumberland Gap are.
Too hot in Lee County for me as I found out via silverwing a long time ago.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,532 times
Default Asthma in Roanoke

We want to move to the Roanoke valley Bedford Co. Maybe. We have a child with Asthma, not servere but we want to keep it from getting worse. We now live in Florida , but would love to come back. How is the wheather and the air quality for a child with Asthma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia