Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,893,136 times

Advertisements

The more I read about Virginia, the more I think it might be a good choice for escaping from Texas. I'm tired of the incredible traffic jams in Austin and other Texas cities, and can't stand our bigoted politicians.

I've been to the DC suburbs in Virginia, which are hardly any different from our burbs, and don't much appeal to me. I've been to Richmond, which was interesting, but I don't know whether it would be a good place to live.

I'm single, retired, and just need to have a peaceful existence in a nice, small city.

Any advice on where to live in Virginia? Would Charlottesville be a good choice? My priorities are a small, quiet city with little traffic. Must have a variety of good restaurants. Outdoor activities are not that important to me. Would like to live in a small city that has a good housing supply in the inner city, and I'd really like to find a nice condo so as to no longer have to do yard work. Any advice?

Last edited by Weatherguy; 11-08-2017 at 10:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 06:08 AM

91 posts, read 130,641 times
Charlottesville is nice.

I'd also throw my city, Winchester, into the ring. It's small, has a great downtown with lots restaurants, breweries and things to do, close to DC for a day trip, and not too expensive. There are lots of retirees here. Traffic isn't bad at all, either.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:50 AM

2,285 posts, read 4,083,635 times
Roanoke! We moved here from TX four years ago!

Old 11-09-2017, 08:58 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,326,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
The more I read about Virginia, the more I think it might be a good choice for escaping from Texas. I'm tired of the incredible traffic jams in Austin and other Texas cities, and can't stand our bigoted politicians.

I've been to the DC suburbs in Virginia, which are hardly any different from our burbs, and don't much appeal to me. I've been to Richmond, which was interesting, but I don't know whether it would be a good place to live.

I'm single, retired, and just need to have a peaceful existence in a nice, small city.

Any advice on where to live in Virginia? Would Charlottesville be a good choice? My priorities are a small, quiet city with little traffic. Must have a variety of good restaurants. Outdoor activities are not that important to me. Would like to live in a small city that has a good housing supply in the inner city, and I'd really like to find a nice condo so as to no longer have to do yard work. Any advice?

Are your politicians bigoted because you disagree with them or are they bigoted because they are bigots? Which politicians are bigots in your opinion?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:08 AM

830 posts, read 1,025,042 times
Charlottesville sounds like a good fit! Not too far from there, Staunton is quite nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Are your politicians bigoted because you disagree with them or are they bigoted because they are bigots? Which politicians are bigots in your opinion?
Please stop. I don't think OP came on here for a discussion on his political beliefs.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:21 AM

998 posts, read 1,254,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
And how much do you know about Texas politicians? Are you gonna set the poster straight? This is a hit and run dude, I've read your other posts and you deserve a bit of trolling.....

Old 11-10-2017, 05:39 AM

449 posts, read 497,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post

Since you're a liberal you should move to MD, more like minded people there and has what you are looking for.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:53 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,418,550 times
Williamsburg.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:52 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,102,033 times
Charlottesville is near the top on many lists of the best communities in the USA to live in, or retire to. It has U-VA, one of the most prestigious public universities in the USA. A downtown pedestrian-only zone. On the edge of the blue ridge mountains. Many horse farms, wineries, and moneyed people. Thomas Jefferson's unique-looking mountain-top home Monticello. All these things give it a higher cost-of-living, and more liberal orientation, than other places in Virginia. The traffic on Route 29 can be heavy, especially on college football game days.

Williamsburg
is another possibility, and with milder winters than the other towns named here. It has arguably the world's largest/ best living-history, restored town (Colonial Williamsburg), along with Jamestown settlement, and the prestigious, "College of William and Mary". Busch Gardens theme park with architecture, music, and entertainment of various European countries (voted the prettiest theme park in the USA). Water Country park, name-brand outlet stores, and two large retirement developments built around Golfing (Kingsmill and Ford's Colony). Military-base commissaries and medical facilities, and V.A. hospitals, are not so very far away. Two-lane I-64 and parallel U.S. route 60, are the only roads in and out of the area, and can be full of summer beach-goers and military commuters at times.

Lynchburg is also on the edge of the Blue Ridge mountains. It is home to (Jerry Falwell's) Liberty University, possibly the world's largest evangelical Christian college, especially if its additional Online students are counted. The cost of living is lower than Charlottesville. The city lacks any interstate-highway.

Winchester
has a three-block long, charming pedestrian-only zone in historic downtown, with outdoor cafe's and boutiques, and is home to Shenandoah University which has many fine arts programs. With light traffic, you can reach Dulles International Airport in one hour. Although it's only 70 miles from Washington D.C. on a map, actually on weekdays, traffic as you get into the Washington suburbs (Fairfax County) can be horrible. A V.A. hospital is nearby in Martinsburg. Many Civil War sites are nearby, such as unique picturesque Harpers Ferry.

Last edited by slowlane3; 11-10-2017 at 03:14 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 06:50 AM

41 posts, read 46,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Charlottesville sounds like a good fit! Not too far from there, Staunton is quite nice too.

Please stop. I don't think OP came on here for a discussion on his political beliefs.
OP said Texas politicians are “bigoted”. That’s a pretty clear invitation for a political discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia