Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 780 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are LA natives (Pasadena, CA), relocated to Las Vegas 3 years ago for a job and hate it. We visited suburbs of Virginia and loved it. We were a bit surprised at the housing prices. We concentrated in short Pump area.
We love the area, great schools, great people, decent diversity, home prices are a bit higher than we expected it. However our biggest concern is the humidity in the summer. How bad is it? Coming from a Mediterraneal climate and most recently dry very hot Las Vegas, we are a bit concerned.

I would appreciate any advise anyone is willing to provide. We like wholesome communities, we have small children, love nature and lots of trees. It’s important to be near accessible shopping: Tj’s, Sprouts, or Whole
foods are a must. Any recommendations around the state other than Glen Allen, Short Pump?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 04:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Home prices in Northern Virginia would be more than Richmond, check out Midlothian.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:42 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
You might also check out Charlottesville. It’s a college town, UVA, and has TJ and Whole Foods. I don’t think Sprouts is out here. But more important than those, both Short Pump and Charlottesville have Wegmans. Look them up. I can easily live without TJ or WF, but Wegmans is a different story! Now, besides, food stores, do you or will you have a job lined up? Humidity is relative (pun intended). It’s not the Deep South but it’s really not that bad.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:06 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
You might also check out Charlottesville. It’s a college town, UVA, and has TJ and Whole Foods. I don’t think Sprouts is out here. But more important than those, both Short Pump and Charlottesville have Wegmans. Look them up. I can easily live without TJ or WF, but Wegmans is a different story! Now, besides, food stores, do you or will you have a job lined up? Humidity is relative (pun intended). It’s not the Deep South but it’s really not that bad.

VA sees the same humidity the states further south of us. On average we are pretty close in numbers. I'm from FLA and am here often but have lived in VA for many years now. Very little difference in the humidity. Biggest difference is that the humidity is with us for less time in VA than compared to states like Fla, GA and so on.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...y-by-state.php

Old 01-06-2019, 04:36 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Virginia has plenty of humidity, as does the entire east coast. You might have less if you consider cities in the mountains, but there's really no escaping humidity here. If this is a big concern, I'd suggest renting for a year to see if you acclimate.

FWIW, I moved from the beach cities in southern California about two decades ago. I was really aware of the humidity the first year, then adjusted to it. Even so, after 20 years there are still some days you can't help noticing the humidity, LOL. Sometimes I gripe about it but there are also plenty of times I notice it and feel blessed. Sometimes I feel like we're living in Hawaii because we'll have soft tropical breezes. Just yesterday I was joking about that. Took a long walk because it felt great to have it be balmy in January. But in mid August, I do my walks early in the morning or after dark, hang out at the pool, and spend time doing things in air conditioned buildings.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:13 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
I left CA in the 70's, have lived in many states, several of which are humid....if you come from a low humidity area, there is no "getting used to" high humidity....you just put up with it.

Sprouts is expanding, there is a location in the Raleigh NC area, so I would expect it to be in the Richmond area before long, however, the Short Pump area seems to be a shoppers delight with almost every retail establishment (except Sprouts) available.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-01-2019, 03:59 AM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Virginia has plenty of humidity, as does the entire east coast. You might have less if you consider cities in the mountains, but there's really no escaping humidity here. If this is a big concern, I'd suggest renting for a year to see if you acclimate.
Native Californian here and have never lived anywhere else. Did experience east coast humidity a couple of times while visiting Boston and Long Island in the summer time though.

What was eye opening the most was, while on a road trip up the California coast, we were chatting with a young man who was visiting California from Virginia and had gone all over the state. I asked him what he liked best about California, thinking he's say the ocean, the mountains, Disneyland or something. Instead he just said "your shade". I said "our what??" Again he said, "Your shade! When it's hot, you can go into the shade and cool off!" Apparently where he's from, you don't get much relief from the heat and humidity if you're outside, even under a tree!

Old 02-01-2019, 05:28 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"Apparently where he's from, you don't get much relief from the heat and humidity if you're outside, even under a tree!"

Yeah, like trying to find a cool spot in a sauna.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 PM

24 posts, read 32,819 times
Or you could just stay out of Virginia? Ever considered that?

Old 02-05-2019, 01:24 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthisUgly View Post
Or you could just stay out of Virginia? Ever considered that?
Why did you feel this was necessary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia