Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 04:03 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,775,660 times

Advertisements

Clarification: Early American History lover, specifically from the 1770s-1820s. (I enjoy learning about the Civil War, but it's not my favorite era.). Big presidential history fanatic.

Other choices we've considered for our summer trip:

- A second trip to Philly (we went last year and loved it)
- Maryland (Baltimore and Annapolis)
- New Jersey (Trenton, Princeton, Morristown)
- Charleston, SC

Do you think a Richmond/Charlottesville trip would be worth my time and money?

We already visited Williamsburg and Yorktown in 2017.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 06:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,432,580 times
Oh my yes! People usually think of just the Cival War but the roots of American History happened in these places too. Richmond has St. John’s Church, https://www.historicstjohnschurch.org/ plus the first state Capitol, https://virginiacapitol.gov/. Beside Monticello, Jefferson’s home, there is more around Charlottesville as well. Montpelier, Madison’s home, where he wrote the Constitution is not far away, https://www.montpelier.org/. Also just to the south of Charlottesville is Jefferson’s Poplar Forest, his summer home, https://www.poplarforest.org/#section-3. Also, James Monroe’s home, Highland, is just outside Charlottesville, https://highland.org/. This area is rich in seeing how our forefathers lived. Even visiting UVA, Mr. Jefferson’s University, is historical in seeing the Rotunda and grounds. Back in Richmond there is also Hollywood Cemetery, https://www.hollywoodcemetery.org/ where James Monroe and John Tyler are buried as well as many other early notables. There are various tours and it is beautiful.

So, have I given you enough Early American reasons to visit? It truly isn’t all Cival War, but is the birthplace of much of that era.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:19 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,686,133 times
Just east of Richmond (down Route 5) there are a few plantation houses from the 1700’s (Berkeley, Westover, Shirley...) to tour. Just west of Charlottesville there is the Wilson presidential library in Staunton. Patric Henry’s home is in Ashland (15 miles north of Richmond). John Marshall’s (first Chief Justice if the Supreme Court) home is in Richmond. The second English settlement in VA (3rd in the country) is about 10 miles south east of Richmond. Henricus was much larger than Jamestown (had a university and a 50 bed hospital). It was settled in 1611. Parts of the settlement have been rebuilt, there’s a Native American camp there too.

Richmond is also really pretty with good food, natural beauty and great colonial, Federal, antebellum and Victorian architecture. Charlottesville is super quaint and the country roads winding through the region are beautiful.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:34 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,902 times
I lived in Charlottesville for 4 years. I didn’t visit Monticello for a couple years but once I did, I went back a couple more times before I left. The Old part of the U.Va campus is also beautiful, IMO and you can see Edgar Allen Poe’s room. Those two things should occupy one day and then a nice sinner somewhere.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:11 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,902 times
.....sigh......just read my typo, should have been dinner but I guess it works either way.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:08 AM

419 posts, read 902,930 times
From Williamsburg to Charlottesville and the surrounding areas, it is hard to find another area that has the richness of history. You figure jamestown kicked off a lot of the presence of europeans in the US up through the civil war, these areas were in the thick of it. The history of those who were brought here against their will is also in the area and that story is being told in a better more honest fashion all the time.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:58 PM

14 posts, read 16,016 times
I grew up in NY but have lived in the Greater Richmond area 31 years. If you love history, visiting historical sites, museums and homes related to all that , this is the place to visit. I haven't tired of it in 31 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia