Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2019, 09:05 AM

115 posts, read 83,405 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I know that no one can see the future (though some might say that's debatable), but was wondering if the busier, more traffic, more people are would be Roanoke or Richmond during the Labor Day weekend. I ask this bc I am visiting both areas end of August/start of September and deciding on where to go first. I'll be driving down from New England through PA and then from there, either to Richmond or Roanoke on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. Lots of variables to consider here. Thanks in advance to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 AM

1,021 posts, read 910,624 times
Most definitely Richmond as it is a much large city/area

Old 07-10-2019, 12:07 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Roanoke doesn't have a lot going on. Richmond is a much bigger city and a lot busier. Roanoke is kind of in the mountains and has great outdoor recreation nearby.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:34 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,058,344 times
There may be serious traffic issues on I-81 on a holiday weekend (Roanoke bound) but it can really happen any time - heavy truck traffic and only two lanes in each direction - but as for Roanoke itself it won't be terribly busy - it looks like there is at least one street festival and a 5K/10K run - and maybe a Labor Day parade downtown!

Old 07-12-2019, 03:22 PM

230 posts, read 220,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm72 View Post
Hey all,

I know that no one can see the future (though some might say that's debatable), but was wondering if the busier, more traffic, more people are would be Roanoke or Richmond during the Labor Day weekend. I ask this bc I am visiting both areas end of August/start of September and deciding on where to go first. I'll be driving down from New England through PA and then from there, either to Richmond or Roanoke on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. Lots of variables to consider here. Thanks in advance to all!
It depends in part on what you want to do. Yes, Richmond is significantly larger. However, if you — for example — want to hike or camp, the mountains around Roanoke will be very busy over Labor Day weekend.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
There may be serious traffic issues on I-81 on a holiday weekend (Roanoke bound) but it can really happen any time - heavy truck traffic and only two lanes in each direction - but as for Roanoke itself it won't be terribly busy - it looks like there is at least one street festival and a 5K/10K run - and maybe a Labor Day parade downtown!
Yeah, I've driven 81 to NC. 2 lanes and lots of truck traffic is similar to 84 in CT. So it's either 81 S to Roanoke or 95 S to Richmond the Friday before Labor Day weekend. Sounds like Roanoke might be less busier.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post
It depends in part on what you want to do. Yes, Richmond is significantly larger. However, if you — for example — want to hike or camp, the mountains around Roanoke will be very busy over Labor Day weekend.
True. I probably won't be hiking, definitely not camping. Just visiting, driving and seeing the area. Looking to move in the future so I want to check out Roanoke and Richmond areas to see if I like them. I'll probably check out places like Mill Mountain Star so I expect that to be busy. So I'm not sure if I should start my journey in Roanoke and then go to Richmond or vice versa. Labor day weekend through 1st week of September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: