Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 02:04 PM

22 posts, read 21,799 times

Advertisements

Hi I’m looking to relocate from the north east. I want to raise my kids with good southern manners. Here most kids are rude to adults and don’t really care. It’s extremely fast paced and people are aggressive and rude. I was brought up in Arkansas where my husband will not move and it was amazing. I’m looking for that friendly sweet atmosphere again. Additionally I need good schools that have special ed accommodations and fair housing prices for cost of living. For example here making over $200,000 we have a small 4 bedroom 1.5 bath house with high taxes and a crazy mortgage. It’s just insane. So we want more for our money and to be able to live more comfortably not have all our paychecks go to bills. Can you let me know if that is realistic in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 03:18 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Sounds like you may be setting your goals a little high. Kids the country all over change all the time and will with social media influencing them it's even more inevitable. But, always a but, the wife and I left the NOVA rat race 5 years ago and moved to the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. We're in the mountains near Edinburg. Small town with no lights and next to Woodstock which is bigger but still a great little town. We have found the youth here to be more sociable towards us older adults, at least in our church setting. Will you still find surly teens? Of course. But we feel things are just slow enough here that the kids are not quite overly influenced by parents on the go 100 mph trying to live up to the standards or expectations they set for themselves.

The money will go further with housing of course although housing prices seem to be rising some even further out this way but are still no match for the DC area. No idea what the schools are rated as our kids are long grown but the high school nearest us is well loved (Central in Woodstock) and we know many kids and teachers there. The kids we know have all thrived there as well as at the middle and elementary school which are all next to each other. One kid just went into the AF Academy and many have gone on to college while some stay behind to work on or run family farms and so on.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:42 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Will you need to look for jobs?

Old 07-10-2020, 12:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear621 View Post
. I want to raise my kids with good southern manners.
Manners are manners and are not location based. You either raise your children to have them or you don't. Doesn't matter where you live.

Old 07-11-2020, 03:20 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Manners are manners and are not location based. You either raise your children to have them or you don't. Doesn't matter where you live.
Very true . . . But it’s a lot easier when the community norms are polite.

OP: Check out Lynchburg, specifically the Boonsboro/Peakland area. It’s a wonderful community and we’d be living there if family ties had not taken us further south. Schools are good, houses/taxes are affordable and the people are very pleasant/polite.

Lynchburg is just big enough to have all the chain stores and small enough to know your neighbors. Church is important, though, if that is a turn-off.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:41 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Very true . . . But it’s a lot easier when the community norms are polite.

OP: Check out Lynchburg, specifically the Boonsboro/Peakland area. It’s a wonderful community and we’d be living there if family ties had not taken us further south. Schools are good, houses/taxes are affordable and the people are very pleasant/polite.

Lynchburg is just big enough to have all the chain stores and small enough to know your neighbors. Church is important, though, if that is a turn-off.
A high school friend moved to Lynchburg and can't say enough nice things about it. Her kids are well mannered and hard working to boot. Yes, church is important to her.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 07-11-2020 at 06:55 PM..

Old 07-14-2020, 04:00 PM

27 posts, read 29,091 times
I lived in Lynchburg for a over a decade, and it was really not my cup of tea for so may reasons...the town did start to improve around 2014-2014 though. I still have friends there, and I visit quite often, so I am not a "hater".

BUT it could be a good fit for you! If you love Evangelical Christianity and think that Rebel Flags are fine and dandy, "The Burg" could be a good fit.

Personally I prefer Harrisonburg, Winchester, Charlottesville, Roanoke and over Lynchburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia