Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 09:33 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,791 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Southern Virginia (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake), and loved the area, really enjoyed growing up there and hope to return one day. We always thought of Northern Virginia (Fairfax area and surrounding) as another state. The people were so different, different accents, culture different, food different, dress differently, different interests, and different politically/different religious beliefs. Alas, one is Southern and the other not so Southern. I would never choose to live in Northern Virginia, I don't care for the area. Love the salt water, rivers, and the Chesapeake Bay. Seafood, and the coastal lifestyle. What do you Virginians think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 10:00 AM

1,022 posts, read 910,624 times
Times change

Old 08-25-2020, 10:13 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
I grew up in Southern Virginia (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake), and loved the area, really enjoyed growing up there and hope to return one day. We always thought of Northern Virginia (Fairfax area and surrounding) as another state. The people were so different, different accents, culture different, food different, dress differently, different interests, and different politically/different religious beliefs. Alas, one is Southern and the other not so Southern. I would never choose to live in Northern Virginia, I don't care for the area. Love the salt water, rivers, and the Chesapeake Bay. Seafood, and the coastal lifestyle. What do you Virginians think?

I live in NoVA and regularly visit Hampton Roads and the New River Valley. I love them all very much. I am so grateful to live in Virginia that gives so many choices to us within a few hours drive. Virginia is The Best!!!

Old 08-25-2020, 10:33 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
The people were so different, different accents, culture different, food different, dress differently, different interests, and different politically/different religious beliefs.
Oh, here we go. You don't like a particular place and feel you need to start a thread about it? There are very few states where there isn't a huge difference of items in different areas of the state. It is typical all over this country.

That being said, what do you mean by the sentence I quoted? There is SO much variety of people in NoVA, I am sure there are people here like you. There is not one culture, accent, food, way of dressing, etc in NoVA; we have it all. Or do you not like it because there is variety, and you only prefer to be around people exactly like you?

Old 08-25-2020, 10:48 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,238,039 times
OP. You live where you want to live and the rest of us will do the same. We live in northern VA in the Shenandoah Valley. Will live here until we die amongst some of the prettiest country you could ever find. I like the beach area and in fact I grew up on the beaches in Fla as a kid and moved to NOVA as a teen before moving to the valley. Will take the valley over the too oft fear of when the next tropical storm or hurricane is coming through.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:14 AM

20,100 posts, read 9,006,146 times
more opportunity for people with professional skills in NoVa. Tech corridor, government workers, and contractors. I was there when Tysons Corner was one stop light, Route 7 was a two lane road, no beltway, no Dulles. I saw it explode and I got out. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:57 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
OP your area is just one part of the state and I would be safe to say those further west along Route 58 would probably view you and your part as Yankees'.

So get off your high horse about "The people were so different, different accents, culture different, food different, dress differently, different interests, and different politically/different religious beliefs" and live how you want to the same as everyone else is doing....

Old 08-25-2020, 01:14 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,791 times
Haha....I have enjoyed the responses from Virginians. You have made me look at the bigger picture of the Shenandoah Valley, that is a beautiful place, I have driven through while on 81, and was beautiful indeed. I always loved to return to the smell of salt water on the Bridges entering Tidewater.....

Old 08-25-2020, 02:49 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,169 times
Not surprised that some are "offended" with your post.

Although I agree. Comparing where I'm from to Northern Virginia is pretty different. Nothing to get offended about, but there sure is a difference.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:04 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,870 times
As someone else said, here we go again. First off, I love Virginia, all of Virginia. That being said I think most people agree there is NoVa and there is RoVa (rest of Virginia). I always considered the moment I crossed the Rappahannock River I was in RoVa. I used to live in NoVa now live in RoVa and love it too. So, please let’s just not start another one of these “versus” threads again. And I now apologize for adding to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia