Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 02:24 PM

119 posts, read 58,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Its called the Marcus Alert system.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...202+sum+HB5043

The effective date is July 1, 2022.

"By July 1, 2022, every locality shall have established local protocols that meet requirements developed by DBHDS for (a) diversion of certain 9-1-1 calls to crisis call centers and (b) the participation of law enforcement in the Marcus alert system. Also by July 1, 2022, every locality shall have established protocols for law-enforcement participation in the Marcus alert system."

It will be interesting to see how this work out, particularly with rural counties with limited funds. Where will these crisis workers be located? How quickly will they be able to respond to a scene? What happens to them when subjects become violent? If police are also responding then expect taxes to go up as the money has to come from somewhere to create, manage and staff this system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 04:01 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
Virginia has seen the care of the mentally ill as a responsibly of the government since it first established a free mental health hospital in Williamsburg in 1773. Even during the lead up to the Revolution, the Crown and the Founders voted to establish what is now Eastern State Hospital. Harrison, Peyton, Nelson, Randolph, Jefferson and others all voted for this.

While they system went through various reforms since then, the goal is the same: to ensure care. After the VA Tech massacre, the entire system was reformed but its not perfect. Va, though the existing existing court system has now established mental health dockets and now this change to help ensure the mentally ill are not placed in a system where they can't get care. The budget includes the restoration of $30,000,000 for mental health services funded by the Commonwealth. Initially, $6.8 million for mobile crisis services and $4.7 million for crisis dispatch that will help create the Marcus Alert system.

My county has already made changes.

http://services.dlas.virginia.gov/us...spx?viewid=468
http://www.vacourts.gov/courtadmin/a...d_brochure.pdf
https://dbhds.virginia.gov/library/f...rt%20final.pdf

"It is expedient I should also recommend to your Consideration and Humanity a poor unhappy set of People who are deprived of their senses and wander about the Country...to endeavor to restore to them their lost reason." Journal of the House of Burgess

Last edited by webster; 03-16-2021 at 04:26 PM..

Old 03-16-2021, 04:16 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Virginia has seen the care of the mentally ill as a responsibly of the government since it first established a free mental health hospital in Williamsburg in 1773. Even during the lead up to the Revolution, the Crown and the Founders voted to establish what is now Eastern State Hospital. Harrison, Peyton, Nelson, Randolph, Jefferson and others all voted for this.

While they system went through various reforms since then, the goal is the same: to ensure care. After the VA Tech massacre, the entire system was reformed but its not perfect. Va, though the existing existing court system has now established mental health dockets and now this change to help ensure the mentally ill are not placed in a system where they can't get care. The budget includes the restoration of $30,000,000 for mental health services funded by the Commonwealth. Initially, $6.8 million for mobile crisis services and $4.7 million for crisis dispatch that will help create the Marcus Alert system.

My county has already made changes. Money is being diverted and some calls which might have elicited a response won't. Examples are if you see a coyote in your yard, the police aren't coming out anymore, you will be told to call animal control. Parents fighting with their kids will get a response from the mental health folks, not the police. Burglar alarm going off on a regular basis in error, expect a bill. My neighbor was burning trash illegally in a public right of way, he got a warning but next time its a $500 fine and the cost of bringing out the equipment - it all comes out of the public safety budget.

http:/he /services.dlas.virginia.gov...spx?viewid=468
http://www.vacourts.gov/courtadmin/a...d_brochure.pdf
https://dbhds.virginia.gov/library/f...rt%20final.pdf

Some of these were implemented some time back in numerous VA agencies. But the one that gets me is this: Parents fighting with their kids will get a response from the mental health folks, not the police.
. So what is the age cutoff when it comes to this? We had a very young child shoot several members of his family in a domestic back around 1980 but fortunately all survived. I believe he was something like 10. I personally responded to a 13-year old and mom arguing over something trivial. We got there and advised what she (Mom) might do but there was no crime committed so we had to leave. 5 minutes later we're directed back as the 13-year old was tearing up his room. We arrived and this KID met me at the front door with a 12-gauge in his hands. I grabbed the mom and we ran back to my car where I drew my 12-ga. Can you imagine what was going through my head thinking I may have to shoot a 13-year old? Well he came down the steps with the gun port arms and kept walking towards me asking if I was going to shoot him? I did tell him I would and he was within one step and I had already decided I would have to shoot him when he started crying and put the gun down. I was so damn shaken up that I could barely function the rest of the day.

But yes. Let's send mental health workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia