Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 07:35 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
What made Virginia a great state was it's pro-business stance. This is how Northern Virginia was able to effectively beat out Maryland in the northern region.

If Virginia loses it's Right-to-Work status, it is no different than weak ol' Maryland and will lose it's shine among employers in that region. Already many defense contractors in Northern Va are on the move, to places like Huntsville, AL or Oak Ridge, TN. This will accelerate under a Terry governorship given his hankering to destroy our Right-to-Work status. That my friends, is democratic erosion.

If the government has added work in places like Huntsville and Oak Ridge, that's not due to Virginia governmental policies. Space work and DoE work isn't done much in the DC region. Huntsville and Oak Ridge serve specific purposes - their growth isn't NoVA's loss.

And are you saying government contractor companies have moved headquarters or major operations away from Northern Virginia to those places? If so, which ones? Or do you just know of some contractors who took jobs down there?

Number of defense contracts in Oak Ridge, 2020: 243, 2019: 225. Value of contracts, 2020: $230 million. A drop in the bucket.

Arlington County alone: 5,937 contracts, valued at $3.6 billion. Fairfax County: $29 billion in contract dollar amount.

You haven't shown any erosion. Let's see some data.

EDIT: I see that Huntsville (Madison County) had $6.6 billion in contract dollars in 2020. Down from $7.6 billion in 2019. And before you say "covid-19", that did not affect contracts awarded. The Virginia counties I mentioned showed a gain in 2020 over 2019.

Last edited by robbobobbo; 07-13-2021 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 08:07 AM

346 posts, read 229,651 times
I don't know who I'm arguing with anymore. Someone said that they are all for eradicating the Right to Work, I assumed this is more widely accepted among the democratic base.

Terry M is being accused of supporting a repeal of the Right-to-work -- hence why it's being brought up.

BTW, I have to keep creating new accounts because every now and then I get banned for upsetting the very sensitive, Raleigh folks.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:23 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
This thread didn’t age well. Virginia, for the second year in a row, captured the top spot for business in the country.

TN and NC have nothing to teach us, Maryland continues to be one of the wealthiest states in the country and if you think New York has lost any of its shine, you obviously haven’t been there in a while.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:52 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
I don't know who I'm arguing with anymore. Someone said that they are all for eradicating the Right to Work, I assumed this is more widely accepted among the democratic base.

Terry M is being accused of supporting a repeal of the Right-to-work -- hence why it's being brought up.

BTW, I have to keep creating new accounts because every now and then I get banned for upsetting the very sensitive, Raleigh folks.
So who were you before? I have an idea but curious what you'll say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia