Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 11:07 PM

91 posts, read 674,465 times

Advertisements

I looked at my receipt today and noticed they charged me 6% sales tax on a bakery food item. I looked back over a few previous receipts and they are all ok, except another one where I purchased the exact same item, they charged 6% then too.

Interestingly, I had ordered a different bakery item today that did get taxed 2.5%. Last year I got charged 6% for a particular box of store brand cereal. I complained numerous times to both the local store as well as the main website since this happened at both locations. They only fixed the issue after I threatened to put it out on social media that they were overcharging customers and report them for tax fraud.

I just wanted to check here and see if this is really tax fraud? This seems illegal to me. I'm tired of this. I guess I'll have to start checking every receipt more carefully. It's sad when you have to calculate a receipt to make sure you weren't overcharged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 04:17 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
You would be better off to post this on the "shopping and consumer products" board of CD...

Old 07-15-2021, 04:50 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Fraud? No. Mistake? I guess so. But this is not the board you need for this.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:23 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Depending on location - ready-to-eat food is taxed at a higher rate. A bakery item would qualify.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:53 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Wow...someone at Walmart may have accidentally coded an item or two wrong?? Alert the presses!!! I think a Congressional inquiry is warranted.

Seriously, 3.5% on a cake? What are we talking, $0.35, or much less if we're talking a donut? Even if I had noticed such an atrocity, my time is much more valuable to waste trying to talk to Walmart or complaining to random people about the incidents.

Also, you have previous receipts?? I haven't looked at a receipt in years, and they are properly disposed in the first garbage can I see.

Last edited by spencgr; 07-15-2021 at 11:03 AM..

Old 07-15-2021, 03:52 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
I looked at my receipt today and noticed they charged me 6% sales tax on a bakery food item. I looked back over a few previous receipts and they are all ok, except another one where I purchased the exact same item, they charged 6% then too.

Interestingly, I had ordered a different bakery item today that did get taxed 2.5%. Last year I got charged 6% for a particular box of store brand cereal. I complained numerous times to both the local store as well as the main website since this happened at both locations. They only fixed the issue after I threatened to put it out on social media that they were overcharging customers and report them for tax fraud.

I just wanted to check here and see if this is really tax fraud? This seems illegal to me. I'm tired of this. I guess I'll have to start checking every receipt more carefully. It's sad when you have to calculate a receipt to make sure you weren't overcharged.
Prepared food is taxed at a different rate.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:59 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Exactly, and regardless or the person who doesn't keep receipts - I do!

Old 07-16-2021, 03:21 PM

91 posts, read 674,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Prepared food is taxed at a different rate.

That's part of why I'm asking here and not on the shopping and consumer products forum. Did I get taxed more because it's a bakery item, like how you get taxed at restaurants? So what is the tax rate for prepared food? This Walmart is in PWC.

But, I originally ordered two different bakery items the other day. One was taxed at 6% and the other at 2.5%. So I think it was a mistake. But the question is what is the correct tax?

I realize some people think it's silly to squabble over $0.35, but to some people, that loss of money adds up and actually means something. Not everyone has the same income. And those bakery items are the one sugary treat I get every two weeks or so. Also, it's the principle of the matter too. A mistake is clearly being made here. I'd like to contact them to let them know.

I suggest you all check your receipts on a routine basis. I've caught numerous mistakes, especially for in-store purchases. In just one month in early 2019, two stores (Walmart and Costco) tried to overcharge me by more than $15 at the checkout. In both cases, the cashier double scanned items. I recall another time around 2007 or so when Petsmart tried to charge me $16 for a bag of pet food that I didn't even purchase. Petsmart has tried to overcharge me at the checkout numerous times, mostly due to human error on their part. Anytime I shop there, I have to calculate what my total cost should be before I get to the checkout because they almost always make mistakes and overcharge me. Ollie's has done this too. Target advertises sales, but then sometimes they don't honor the sales price at checkout. That money adds up if you're not careful. Most people are too oblivious to even notice. $0.35 here, $5.00 there, $10, $16. It's ridiculous and not right. And now I've had two of these issues at different stores within a 48 hr period. Watch what the cashier is doing and check your receipts!

Old 07-16-2021, 10:34 PM

553 posts, read 617,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
That's part of why I'm asking here and not on the shopping and consumer products forum. Did I get taxed more because it's a bakery item, like how you get taxed at restaurants? So what is the tax rate for prepared food? This Walmart is in PWC.
"Prepared hot foods packaged for immediate consumption on or off premises" are taxed at the regular sales tax rate, which is 6% for PWC. What was the item?

Old 07-17-2021, 12:11 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,383 times
I get charged a regular tax on rotisserie chickens there. I guessed it was because it was a prepared food like one would get in a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: