Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 07:47 AM

14 posts, read 26,830 times

Advertisements

Simple Question. I have the benefit of an entirely remote career and i've been living in the Charlotte region most of my life and I wanted to move.

As funny as it sounds Weather is a big part of where I want to move, I enjoy snow and cooler weather and more Mountainous regions, so I narrowed it down to these two places. I know both cities are college towns as well so maybe I could get into sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 09:34 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,238,039 times
Depends on what you are looking for. C'ville is very liberal and much more crowded and with more traffic. B'burg is more in the mountains and the area puts C'ville to shame although C'ville is not bad at all. C'ville has more restaurants if that is important and of course they have UVA Hospital. Knowing my tastes in traffic and beautiful surroundings B'burg wins hands down.

I spent a lot of time in both locations training LE, and for personal reasons, and B'burg is just a place I could live.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:09 AM

230 posts, read 220,107 times
Definitely go and visit both places. Blacksburg and Charlottesville are more different than alike.

Blacksburg per se is not much more than an extension of the Virginia Tech campus (which has always surprised me a bit). Nearly all amenities in Blacksburg are tied to VT. With that said, you can easily access a wider variety of amenities and offerings in the region since places like Christiansburg, Salem, and Roanoke are all relatively close by.

Charlottesville is a bonafide small city. Without a doubt UVA dominates the scene but there’s more to the city than just the university. Charlottesville has notably more amenities and cultural offerings than Blacksburg proper; it also has a lot more history. However, unlike Blacksburg, C’Ville is a bit more removed from other cities (although both Richmond and DC are within reasonable driving distance).

Both Blacksburg and Charlottesville have an abundance of outdoor activities nearby. I don’t think there is a significant difference in the weather.

A general rule of thumb about politics in Virginia: Most (not all) independent cities are blue to deep blue; suburbs are bluish to blue, and rural areas are red. The transition from blue to red can happen quickly in some places because many VA cities aren’t very large. These political dynamics largely exist in the greater Blacksburg and Charlottesville areas, although — overall — SW Virginia is more conservative than the central Virginia Piedmont.

So, as I said, go visit both areas. See which one suits you. Good Luck.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:34 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,417,441 times
COL will be significantly less in Blacksburg...primarily housing costs. C'ville is doing its best to imitate Nova, but without good wages. I priced some decent apartments by the Costco in C'ville.. they were 1510 for 640sf in April.. I checked again in July and all they had were 720sf for 1800. Nothing but strip malls...

Old 09-04-2021, 02:42 PM

OP. If you go to Blacksburg to visit you should visit the veterinarian college. Known as the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary College. In the front of one of the buildings there is a statue of a German Shepherd K9 on top and the name of every LE K9 killed in the line of duty in VA.

One of my K9's that I trained is listed on here after he was killed.

https://roanoke.com/news/ready-to-se...ac7b63798.html

Old 09-04-2021, 09:58 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,032 times
Blacksburg is considerably higher in altitude (2080' vs. 594') so will probably have the edge in having cooler summers and colder winters.

(Charlottesville is very close to somewhat higher altitudes - there is a pass to the west between Charlottesville and Staunton.)

Old 09-05-2021, 12:33 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,417,441 times
UVA had a Uhaul packed with fraternity pledges crash....VA Tech killed a football player with punishment drills.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1...-trip-ends-in/

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/10/02/s...eath-suit.html

Old 09-05-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
UVA had a Uhaul packed with fraternity pledges crash....VA Tech killed a football player with punishment drills.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1...-trip-ends-in/

Wondering what the point to this may be?

Old 09-07-2021, 06:57 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
VA Tech killed a football player with punishment drills.

Yeah, 40 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia