Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 12:14 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times

Advertisements

When the COVID restrictions got lifted at the end of May, my salon no longer required masks. However, this week when I went for my appt., they were back to having people mask up---not sure why. I always carry a mask with me so it was no problem to wear one.

Masks (if they are not N95) only do so much when it comes to catching COVID. There are stories of those who always masked up but still caught the virus. I'm just sayin' ...

Old 10-15-2021, 02:38 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
When the COVID restrictions got lifted at the end of May, my salon no longer required masks. However, this week when I went for my appt., they were back to having people mask up---not sure why. I always carry a mask with me so it was no problem to wear one.

Masks (if they are not N95) only do so much when it comes to catching COVID. There are stories of those who always masked up but still caught the virus. I'm just sayin' ...

So you admit you know it helps some at least? No researcher here so I do not know. But I believe it has to help some as well.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:25 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Doesn't anyone remember the guidance when we all first started wearing masks? The masks (besides N95) are not there to help you prevent GETTING COVID, the masks are there to help you prevent SPREADING COVID. Yes, microscopic bits can definitely get past masks; but the mask decreases the amount of virus that someone is spreading by talking, coughing, sneezing, etc. Masks help those around you; they do not necessarily help the mask wearer.

My normal MO is to always have a mask, and do what the first employee I see in the store/ restaurant/ establishment is doing. If they are wearing a mask, I will immediately put mine on. If not, I won't. If they don't care to help protect me, I won't bother to help protect them.

Old 10-15-2021, 01:17 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
So you admit you know it helps some at least? No researcher here so I do not know. But I believe it has to help some as well.
Besides the N95 ones, they say the next best thing is to wear a mask with 2 layers of fabric. Some say that's not quite enough and you still need to add a tissue into the mix. Even better, top it off with a face shield.

Although---last year I had to have a medical procedure done at Kaiser. I wore my best double layer mask. They took a look at it and told me to take it off. Then they handed me a cheap paper mask and told me to wear that instead. Go figure...

However, there are far too many stories about those who always masked up but still got the virus. On the flipside, there are those who resisted masking up and never caught it. Again, I'm just sayin' ...

One thing I do know is that I always carry hand sanitizer with me---even keep some in the car. Plus, I frequently use it when I'm out and about.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:41 AM

189 posts, read 195,758 times
Virginia has no mask mandates. Yet in my city 40-50% of the customers in stores STILL wear them. You are ridiculous. They are useless. Its ok breathe the air that God gave you. Lets see your face. Lets see you as a person. Not a faceless zombie.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:48 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Wow! I wear a surgical mask w/a 2-layer fabric w/a filter in it - I haven't died yet and and breathe the air!! If you want to argue against masks please use the proper forum.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:49 PM

189 posts, read 195,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Wow! I wear a surgical mask w/a 2-layer fabric w/a filter in it - I haven't died yet and and breathe the air!! If you want to argue against masks please use the proper forum.
The proper forum? The thread called "masks". Maybe you mean the proper form? As in form of argument. They don't work for one. It restricts your breathe. It causes social disfunction as faces is how we read emotion. There is a lot less eye contact with masks on. Mask wearing is NOT normal human behavior. And I am one to remind and make sure that remains so.

Some good videos to watch from Styx:

https://rumble.com/vrn9ft-cloth-mask...ly-admits.html

https://rumble.com/vrh5ik-muh-n95-ma...-deranged.html

Old 01-07-2022, 09:40 PM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Virginia has no mask mandates. Yet in my city 40-50% of the customers in stores STILL wear them. You are ridiculous. They are useless. Its ok breathe the air that God gave you. Lets see your face. Lets see you as a person. Not a faceless zombie.
Any scientific links?

Old 01-08-2022, 03:49 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Many chain retailers, such as Walmart, have reinstated a companywide policy that requires customers to wear masks. If customers choose to follow those policies good on them, they are being courteous to the employees and their fellow shoppers.
I thought the rhetoric for anti-mask people was that nobody should tell them what to do, that others should live and let live regarding mask wearing. I guess that sentiment only goes one way for some people though?

Old 01-08-2022, 09:49 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Doesn't anyone remember the guidance when we all first started wearing masks? The masks (besides N95) are not there to help you prevent GETTING COVID, the masks are there to help you prevent SPREADING COVID. Yes, microscopic bits can definitely get past masks; but the mask decreases the amount of virus that someone is spreading by talking, coughing, sneezing, etc. Masks help those around you; they do not necessarily help the mask wearer.
Yes, I do remember that. The reason is that knowledgeable health officials know that the effectiveness of masks in actual use for filtering arriving airborne particles, including N95 types, is hugely variable, and far less than 95% for N95 masks as an example. The 95% filtering of particles by an N95 mask is only the filter media itself.... but the effectiveness is far more dependent more on how it is used, not the filter media test results in lab tests. Critical to effective use are matters like fit of the mask to the face (beards ruin the effectiveness, and the fit to small children is not required for N95 masks), whether the user washes hands regularly before ever touching the mask, etc. If you handle anything with viruses on it, and then adjust your mask or rub near your eyes or nose or mouth, ooops!

Some months ago, I read the WHO's recommended procedures for using masks..... it literally read like you are working in a surgery setting. That's not what most (any?) of us do when going to the store or a restaurant. So even an N95 mask is nowhere near 95% effective in stopping the ingestion of viruses in the hands of actual users in the general public, and the thinking that masks are not very effective in stopping virus ingestion in actual use is really true. That does not mean that some people don't feel more protected, but that is not the factual outcome. And there are so many other factors. I had to shake my head at a picture of a bunch of folks queued up in NYC for COVID testing last week. They all had masks on, but were jammed together in line almost touching. No personal distancing..... ooops again!

But, IMHO, gub'mint oafishals are like most of us... they know that it is easier to defend an action than to defend a lack of action, like in front of a Congressional inquiry or a news organization's or social media's critical onslaught. So IMHO, that is part of the reason for the mask recommendations..... the human desire to not be blamed for inaction. Doing something is viewed as better than doing nothing... but it may not be much for ingestion of viruses.

As originally explained by the health agencies, masks do help limit aerosol particles being breathed and sneezed out. Almost any type of masks or barriers or distancing helps there. So there is that +, but again, that does nothing for spread via the hands or direct contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia