Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2021, 09:18 AM

467 posts, read 426,993 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm from NC but was planning on posting this in the Virginia subforum to hear y'all's opinions on where the traditionally Virginia-centered region extends to (if it does).

This one has always left me confused. I see various maps on the web attempting to delineate this region, but none of them seem that accurate or nuanced to me. That 11 Nations book includes the entire upper half of Eastern NC going up to NoVa all the way to the central Piedmont region of both states, which I find suspect.

Other maps describe it as simply the entire coastal plain region (from Maryland/Delaware down through all of NC), while others stop it at the northeast section of NC bordering Virginia (what I think is probably most accurate).

What do y'all think are the confines of the Tidewater region and where does it extend into NC? What specific counties? I know everyone's perceptions are likely to be influenced by what part of Virginia y'all are from, which makes this all the more interesting to me.

Where can one still hear the Tidewater accent and what exactly distinguishes Tidewater culture from places further inland or too south? And lastly, is the Tidewater region mutually exclusive with the Deep South? Thanks everyone for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Where exactly is the "Tidewater" region and how far does it extend into NC/neighboring states?-11-nations-map.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 11:24 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Again as in your other post, no one (clearly your map is a unicorn) uses "Tidewater" to refer to an area in NC. It is the "Hampton Roads" area of Virginia. The old "Tidewater" seems to have fallen out of use in favor of "Hampton Roads", but both are still used.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...dentity/66665/

Where is "Tidewater" in Virginia? Hampton Roads?

Old 09-15-2021, 06:04 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,814,374 times
"Tidewater" to me is three Virginia regions put together: Hampton Roads + Eastern Shore + Chesapeake Bay

From the State Government: https://www.virginia.org/maps/

It's the three regions that are largely maritime in culture.

"Piedmont" is the union of Central Virginia + Northern Virginia + Southside.

And then the rest I usually just bundle together as "Appalachia"

Old 09-16-2021, 08:07 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,575 times
TarHeelTerritory, would love to know the source of that map. It looks more like a “tongue-in-cheek” meme of someone’s take on the country. Back to your question, it sounds like you are looking for the geological aspects of what tidewater region may be, not the political/jurisdictional definition used for Tidewater which would definitely only be in Virginia. Define what you are looking for a maybe there will be better answers. I know I don’t have a definition or answer specific to this.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:56 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,777 times
I was raised in NE NC and lived in “Tidewater “ for years. I’ve never heard the coastal part of NC being called Tidewater.

Old 09-16-2021, 04:54 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,315,927 times
My husband grew up in Smithfield, VA. He says, "Geographically speaking, Tidewater does include parts of NC. When used culturally, 'Tidewater' refers to VA."

eta: Per my husband, the Tidewater accent is not as prominent as a Boston, NY, or even a deep southern accent. He doesn't call it nonexistent, but you'd be hard pressed to identify a true Tidewater accent.

Last edited by winterbird; 09-16-2021 at 05:02 PM..

Old 09-16-2021, 05:04 PM

467 posts, read 426,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
TarHeelTerritory, would love to know the source of that map. It looks more like a “tongue-in-cheek” meme of someone’s take on the country. Back to your question, it sounds like you are looking for the geological aspects of what tidewater region may be, not the political/jurisdictional definition used for Tidewater which would definitely only be in Virginia. Define what you are looking for a maybe there will be better answers. I know I don’t have a definition or answer specific to this.
Hi choff,

The source is from the book I mentioned; here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Nati.../dp/0143122029

This is from an actual author and journalist, which I think unfortunately legitimizes some erroneous assertions.

Anyways, I'm mainly focused on what is the broadest application of the geographic region in which "Tidewater" culture can be found, whatever that means exactly.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:55 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Hi choff,

The source is from the book I mentioned; here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Nati.../dp/0143122029

This is from an actual author and journalist, which I think unfortunately legitimizes some erroneous assertions.

Anyways, I'm mainly focused on what is the broadest application of the geographic region in which "Tidewater" culture can be found, whatever that means exactly.
Thanks for the link, missed the book reference when I first read. Sounds like an interesting book with a different view. You are definitely talking about geological/geography ideas, not as much governmental jurisdictions as we mostly think when I hear Tidewater.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:17 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
I’ve heard two definitions of Tidewater in my lifetime:

1. The coastal plain region of Virginia
2. The older name for what is now “Hampton Roads” metro area. Growing up I often heard “Tidewater” used to refer specifically to that group of cities, especially the south side ones (Norfolk, Va Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk).

Old 10-03-2021, 10:53 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,179 times
Growing up in Nova,, Tidewater to me is just the Virginia beach area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia