Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 08:50 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from N.J. I worked for the phone company I was a member of IBEW local 827. Back in 2010 when the company was downsizing before they could lay off younger employees our union contract said they had to offer anyone that would qualify for retirement a buyout package to leave the payroll which I took, I got 2 years pay and started collecting a full pension the day I signed the papers. I saved some younger person's job that had a families with young kids and mortgages.
Are unions perfect no but knowing how corporations function I cannot imagine working without one.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
Why are you against inexperienced, unskilled or undocumented immigrants from working at all? They also need income coming in.

The Right-to-Work allows inexperienced, unskilled or undocumented immigrants to compete for jobs that unions want to monopolize. It allows for folks to acquire the skills they need to compete in the labor market, at a price employers are willing to pay. Otherwise employers will seek out more experienced workers whose higher pay is more commensurate to their skill level.

The unions don't represent these unskilled workers -- they want to remove them from competing for jobs entirely, hence why they back repealing this vital state law.

The Right-to-Work law protects the little guy.

You may not see it because it's not so obvious until you look under the hood.
I guess you never hear of the UFW (United Farm Workers) that protects the rights of migrant farm workers.

https://ufw.org/immigrationact/

Old 10-26-2021, 09:12 AM

btw my union supports the UFW, I still have my UFW button.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:54 AM

Right to work states have the lowest salaries and are at the bottom of the list in so many categories including health and welfare. Remember these are the states where people fought a war so that rich people could keep slaves that worked for nothing.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:12 AM

btw I didn't have to work at a non union job to gain my skill set, my union job gave me all my training and I received full pay anytime I need training, and whenever they had to send me for training they paid for for my travel time, food allowance that allowed me to eat steak every night with a few beers and I would still have money left over, hotels were always very decent and I would also have my own hotel room while non union people that get sent away for training have to share a hotel room with another worker which is totally unacceptable.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:20 AM

Safety is a major plus for being in a union, if you are a union worker who drives a company vehicle and you feel it is unsafe be it brakes or worn tires you just refuse to drive vehicle until problem is fixed but if you are a non union worker and refuse to drive a vehicle because you feel the brakes are a little soft or tire thread is low there is a good chance you will be told to drive it or go home without pay.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:24 PM

346 posts, read 229,730 times
Ted, thanks for sharing. But this is Virginia, not New Jersey.

I'm not anti-union, I'm against union intimation of non-union members or coerced unionization driven by union boss greed.

Right-to-Work doesn't eliminate unions, it makes it so they don't have absolute power over an employee's life.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:56 AM

346 posts, read 229,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Red... "I'm not anti-union, I'm against union intimation of non-union members or coerced unionization driven by union boss greed."

Are you also against employer intimidation, employer anti-union messaging ? Are you also against employer driven greed ?

"Right-to-Work doesn't eliminate unions, it makes it so they don't have absolute power over an employee's life."

Right to work laws result in lower wages to employees, and they give absolute power over employees life to the employer (within the work place). Union representation gives an employee a larger voice in the negotiation of wages/ benefits and working conditions.

Regards
Gemstone1
'At Will' employment means either party can terminate employment if it's not working out. If someone works for a greedy or bad employer, they are free to look for a job elsewhere. That's the beauty of Right-to-Work.

On the other hand, if unions control everything, that employee can't escape control of the union unless they go to work in another field or state not controlled by unions.

I choose freedom over forced unionization because it gives the employee greater choice -- whether to look for a new job, join a union or not.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:24 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
"they are free to look for a job elsewhere." Not with employer based health care they're not. Suppose I have a sick youngster, I cannot to jump to another employer, wait for benefits to kick in and jeopardize the well being of my child in the process. Unions keep greedy employers in check.

There is no "beauty" in RTW, when it only benefits employers who will pay reduced wages/benefits.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-28-2021, 12:30 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Unless you are in the Midwest where there is low COL to offset low wages and there are an abundance of jobs, being a RTW state is nothing to brag about. Union, pro worker states are higher paying even in positions that aren't unionized.

Employee doesn't want to pay union dues, find another job. Simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia