Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 05:54 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times

Advertisements

I watched the McCauliffe/Youngkin debate tonight. It went pretty much as I expected but I was happy to see them go head-to head with a strong moderator who (mostly) held them accountable.

I am no fan of and not comfortable with McAuliffe but I am deeply dubious about Youngkin. This debate did not persuade me either way. I believe in reasonable arguments supported by independently verifiable facts and numbers. I resent people who try to persuade others to throw away facts and evidence in favor of irrational emotional push button hysteria.

I am not interested in arguments that boil down to “Anybody who disagrees with me or my candidate in any way is a rotten evil lying idiot poo-poo-head.”

Can we agree on what, point by point, specifically the candidate platforms are? Enough to allow all of us of different politics to perform our due diligence in evaluating the different candidates and what they will do for (or to) us and our fellow Virginians?

Last edited by ersatz; 09-16-2021 at 06:04 PM..

Old 09-17-2021, 05:24 AM

346 posts, read 229,651 times
I was not expecting Terry M to come across as arrogant and entitled as he did. He acted like a smug bully the entire time. Like a smooth-talking used car salesman and brash New Yorker. I wish there were many more debates for him to show his true colors.

By comparison, Youngkin was like a breath of fresh air. He responded to and answered questions like a true, down to earth, gentleman would. Very respectable.

Terry M's whole attack plan is to go against Trump and the Texas abortion ban. But neither of those things are on the ballet. McAuliffe seems like he wants to make Virginia the number #1 state to get an abortion in, and nothing else, given how often he talked about this issue.

---

Looks like Youngkin won this debate, even the 'Blue Virginia' poll shows that most respondents think he did as well.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:54 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
I was not expecting Terry M to come across as arrogant and entitled as he did. He acted like a smug bully the entire time. Like a smooth-talking used car salesman and brash New Yorker. I wish there were many more debates for him to show his true colors.

By comparison, Youngkin was like a breath of fresh air. He responded to and answered questions like a true, down to earth, gentleman would. Very respectable.

Terry M's whole attack plan is to go against Trump and the Texas abortion ban. But neither of those things are on the ballet. McAuliffe seems like he wants to make Virginia the number #1 state to get an abortion in, and nothing else, given how often he talked about this issue.

---

Looks like Youngkin won this debate, even the 'Blue Virginia' poll shows that most respondents think he did as well.
Well stated.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:59 AM

449 posts, read 495,380 times
McAuliffe came off as a disrespectful snob. I know people who have previously met and worked with him and in his personal life he’s a very irritable person, loud mouth, arrogant, and self-righteous guy. That was very clear to everyone with a few brain cells in the last debate. He is also a very racist person in his personal life of anyone who isn’t white. He of course won’t publicly admit that but he thinks of some minority groups as less capable, less intelligent, and in need of government support.

I think Youngkin is clearly the better candidate, no need for some re-run washed up Clinton agent in Richmond.

Old 09-19-2021, 01:39 PM

449 posts, read 495,380 times
A friend of mine who worked with the McAuliffe administration on traffic planning and management for NoVa shared with me that in a private meeting McAuliffe once blamed Latinos for the surge in traffic and car accidents in NoVa and said NoVa was having higher accidents because “Latinos are too short to drive”. This is not the first time he’s made remarks in private similar to that.

Old 09-19-2021, 02:11 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
A friend of mine who worked with the McAuliffe administration on traffic planning and management for NoVa shared with me that in a private meeting McAuliffe once blamed Latinos for the surge in traffic and car accidents in NoVa and said NoVa was having higher accidents because “Latinos are too short to drive”. This is not the first time he’s made remarks in private similar to that.
Wow

Sadly, there are many who will vote for anything with a "D" after their name. I never was a fan of McAuliffe.

Old 09-19-2021, 02:16 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
While I am a life long conservative I do find this a little tough to believe. Either a gross misrepresentation of what was actually said or someone is outright lying.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:49 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times
Here's the full transcript for the Sep 16 debate.

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news...atorial-debate

The second debate will be held Sep 28 at the Schlesinger Concert Hall NVCC Alexandria campus. It will be broadcast statewide on NBC stations. The NoVA Chamber of Commerce is still offering tickets. Anyone who plans to attend is required to show proof of vaccination, though their website lists how to apply for an exemption for medical/disability/religious reasons if the exemption request paperwork is received at least five days prior to the event.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:59 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,062,483 times
Lots of things lead me to believe a Youngkin win is a real possibility...

++ Historically, there is a tendency to choose the opposite of the party that has just won the presidency.

++ It's not altogether unusual these days for a state to have a governor from the party opposite of the way they voted for the presidency.

++ Youngkin did not have to get sucked into the crazy politics of having to campaign in a statewide GOP primary. The number of voters was very very tiny due to the very small number of voting locations the GOP had. (FYI: there were over 494K votes in the Democratic primary and a little over 12K votes in the Republican "convention" contest.)

++ McAuliffe is not particularly popular with leftwing Democrats.

++ There is some indication that the "likely to vote" percentage is several points higher for REPUBS than for DEMS.

Having said all that...when all is said and done, I would guess-timate that there's a better than 50% chance that McAuliffe will win. Because Virginia votes in an odd year, the race gets more national attention than it would otherwise.

PLUS... I really really have to wonder if Trump's "help" is the last thing Youngkin wanted to hear. So interesting...so interesting...

Last edited by Watchful; 09-28-2021 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 09-28-2021, 04:54 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Where do you get some of your info rural?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia