Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:53 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We are looking at Buena Vista as a possible place to retire to - like the idea of proximity to Lexington and colleges - still have 15 year old son so school is important . . . any thoughts from those who know the area???
Southern Virginia University isn't funded by LDS but it's essentially a mormon university. I'm the non-religious type but most of my friends are religious folks, including a good Mormon friend in Utah, who has a relative who teaches at the university. The only truly interesting thing about the town (to me) is that Orson Scott Card (a Mormon, author of Ender's Game and other novels, quite a famous author in the sci-fi genre) teaches a class there.

Lexington is an equestrian town, it is home to the Virginia Horse Center. My wife competes and trains in Dressage, so we're over to Lexington a few times during the competition year. It's the premiere equestrian competition center in VA, it even kicks the pants off of Morvern Park in Leesburg, with close to 900 permanent stalls and a vast number of show rings:

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com:8180/vhc.jpg (broken link)

I think Lexington is a nice town and has some history, but as for myself, I'd have a tough time living there. It's nice to visit but the lack of arts, culture, and opportunity would trouble me if I lived there. That's why we opted for a rural setting close to Roanoke. We can enjoy the country but be a 25 minute drive from the conveniences and urban activities that we enjoy. For example, on February 12th we'll be attending the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra's Dance & Romance performance, and in March we'll be enjoying Aaron Neville perform with the orchestra, and in May it's Carmina Burana and Daphnis et Chloé. Plus lot's of additional events. I'd hate to be an 80 minute drive from all of that. From Boones Mill, we're less than a 90 minute drive from Lexington so we can get over there every couple of months during the show season with little trouble at all. Plus, being in the country, I like being within 15 minutes of a Lowes and 10 minutes from a farm store

If you've got a 15 year old, I'd highly recommend Roanoke County, both Cave Spring and Hidden Valley are superb public high schools. If you are willing to invest about $10K a year you can get him involved for his remaining years at North Cross School, a private school where our children attend. That would be of particular interest if he's into technology; they've got a $100K media classroom and they get heavy into Adobe GoLive!, working on multimedia pieces and web sites with state of the art computers and an overhead projection system.

If you like the quaintness of Lexington's downtown you might enjoy a day in Rocky Mount. If it's been more than 2 years since you've visited it's worth a revisit, with so much being improved and redeveloped into a really nice little main street community.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 04:26 PM

55 posts, read 265,097 times
Posting on my wife's account... I work with the school in BV. Parry McCluer HS. It was recently ranked as one of the highest scoring public school systems (with the one high school) in SWVA. It was a recent issue of the ROANOKER magazine which listed the state results. I live in Roanoke and work as a consultant to all the schools in SWVA, so I see the good and the not-so-good. PM is a tiny school with a HUGE heart. Brand new building. High on technology. And, I love the teachers with whom I work to death... great folks! I'm friends with the tech. person. She's AMAZING! Lex. property is much more expensive than BV property. But, I would probably live there as opposed to BV. The quaint factor around W&L and VMI is WAY HIGH in my opinion... looks like a New England town. LOVE IT. And, I buy clothes at Allen-Dennis there... so cut me some slack. It's one of the few preppy stores 'round here! About pronunciation... we are not from VA either, and the pronounciation was amusing when first we moved. And, don't EVER say BWAYNA Vista. It is BYOONA Vista. Wait until you pronounce Botetourt for the first time!!!!

Old 01-27-2007, 05:02 PM

14 posts, read 52,785 times
bot a tot. We actually use the pronunciation to determine who are "outsiders". If you say Buena Vista the proper way, you're not from around there.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:56 PM

134 posts, read 519,554 times
LOL !!!
And people say we Rochestarians have funny accents and funy pronounciations of our towns too!

Example: the town of Chili (pronounced CHI-lie , as in to tell a lie)
or the town of Charlotte (pronounced shar - LOT)

And the proper method to say Rochester is kinda naselly (RAH- chester)

I heard someone actually say bot a tot , and did not have a clue!!

Old 01-27-2007, 08:43 PM

14 posts, read 52,785 times
that's how you're supposed to say it, though.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:09 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Dave View Post
or the town of Charlotte (pronounced shar - LOT)
All the Charlotte places in the USA were named after the wife of King George III of England. Who was German. So, her name would be pronounced Shar-LOT-AH because in German you emphasize the last vowel. That's why Porsche is Pour-SHA, and Miele is MEEL-AH. Up north in Vermont and other places, Shar-LOT-AH was shortened to Shar-LOT. Down south it got changed to Shar-lit. So basically the north gets it mostly right, the south gets it half right, and everyone down south thinks people up north get it all wrong But, hey, I'm from Vermont, and I think Shar-lit sounds better

I still don't understand Buchanan (Buck-cannon), Botetourt (Bot-a-TOT), Buena Vista (Bee-you-nah Vista), and Giles (Jiles). But I've been corrupted and I pretty much pronounce like the natives now, I reckon.

Sean

Old 01-31-2007, 10:30 AM

97 posts, read 616,336 times
Default Not a bad spot

I live about 15 minutes down the BR parkway from Buena Vista and there are few days that I'm on the motorcycle that I don't venture through the town. Absolutely GREAT riding & nature in this area. It really is beautiful anywhere in this area so maybe a compromise if you go a little north to Staunton Area or a little south to Buchanon or Nat Bridge (where Roanoke is a short drive) you 15 yr. old will appreciate it in the coming years when he's looking for social activities.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,561 times
Thumbs down Relocating In Buena Vista

If U Are Smart Don"t There Is Nothing Here But A Golf Course And A Awful Park Nothing And I Mean Nothing For Children,or Teenage Kids To Do Now If U Are Planning On Retiring Go To Lexington But As For Your Son And I Know As A Parent You Want The Best For Him Dont Even Take The Exit If U Do Decide To Check The Place Out Dont And I Mean Dont Blink Your Eyes. I Wouldnt Waste My Gas Coming Here Been Here For 38yrs And Im Getting Out Of Here It Gets Worse Not Better.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:23 AM

689 posts, read 1,615,640 times
Honestly, w/a 15-year old I'd avoid BV. There's nothing to do. It's pretty rural. Lexington is great, but very expensive. Have you checked out Lynchburg? The cost of living is really low, the schools are good, and there's plenty to do and enjoy. Also very good heath services.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 11,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno View Post
We are looking at Buena Vista as a possible place to retire to - like the idea of proximity to Lexington and colleges - still have 15 year old son so school is important . . . any thoughts from those who know the area???
Buena Vista is a beautiful small town nestled in the heart of the Shenandoah Mountains and surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mts. This is a strong, tight knit community who rally around diversity and help those in need.
The NEW Parry McCluer high school is of course accrediated, but more importantly the school is small , the teachers know your name and are really there for you. Most all graduating seniors that attend college are accepted as either sophmores or juniors for college because of the college level of courses offered in high school. PMHS has a great sports program, and other interesting courses offered. The kids here accept you into the fold very easily and it is a wonderful, safe place to raise a family.
Yes, it is true that BV has had it's share of problems, flooding (now we have a flood wall which will hopefully keep this from happening again) a wonderful park that has special events such as old time fiddlers conventions, beach music festivals, free Fridays in the Park concerts of all types, a new 18 hole golf course (designed by Rick Jacobson), swimming, tennis, fishing, hiking, hunting and of course just hanging out!
Come on down, find out what others are discovering, Buena Vista is a hidden jewel in Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia