Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 07:33 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I’d rather stay in the NoVa bubble. Virginia, like a lot of these southern states these days, seems to have taken steps backwards and it’s embarrassing.
Or forward. https://commercialobserver.com/2023/...rowth-metrics/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 07:50 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
Or backwards.

Quote:
Florida Is Trying to Take Away the American Right to Speak Freely
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/04/o...eech-bill.html

Or just yesterday...
Quote:
“Back to 1902”: Virginia Governor Revives Lifetime Ban on Voting
https://boltsmag.org/virginia-govern...s-restoration/

Everyone is entitled to believe what they want to believe but I will say that one good thing about the last decade is that Virginia was a state that worked hard to rid itself of its reputation as another backwards southern state... a state that was more interested in getting it right and moving forward. And all of that has been quickly eroded which is fine, I guess... that's why we have elections but yeah... I'd personally rather stay in the DC/NoVa bubble.

Old 03-30-2023, 05:00 AM

172 posts, read 119,217 times
Quote:
Or backwards.
Or just yesterday...
https://boltsmag.org/virginia-govern...s-restoration/

Everyone is entitled to believe what they want to believe but I will say that one good thing about the last decade is that Virginia was a state that worked hard to rid itself of its reputation as another backwards southern state... a state that was more interested in getting it right and moving forward. And all of that has been quickly eroded which is fine, I guess... that's why we have elections but yeah... I'd personally rather stay in the DC/NoVa bubble.

Personally, I agree with the Governor's stance. Violent ex-felons -- notice the distinction in the policy -- must go through an extra step to have their voting rights restored instead of the state doing it for them automatically. What is wrong with that? If you committed a violent offense there must be some continued checks in place. This isn't mob rule.

Old 03-30-2023, 05:40 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
Personally, I agree with the Governor's stance. Violent ex-felons -- notice the distinction in the policy -- must go through an extra step to have their voting rights restored instead of the state doing it for them automatically. What is wrong with that? If you committed a violent offense there must be some continued checks in place. This isn't mob rule.
Yeah, you won't ever find me defending felons. To me, though it's more of a holistic thing -- the issue is Youngkin and the legislation he's passed and has come out in support of it. A lot of it has been draconian, nonsensical and regressive which to be fair is not unique to Virginia, it's happening a lot in the south right now.

Old 03-30-2023, 06:43 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Draconian, how long will they drag their feet on those that apply? The linked article doesn't distinguish what type of felons it states " Going forward, Virginians will no longer regain their rights when released from prison—the most recent policy announced by Virginia officials in 2021—nor at any later point, unless Youngkin deems them to be worthy on an individual basis. "

So if a person is convicted of "Willful discharge of a firearm in public" which is a class 6 felony they should lose their voting rights for life? What's next loss of driving privilege's for life for a DUI....

Old 03-30-2023, 07:12 AM

172 posts, read 119,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Draconian, how long will they drag their feet on those that apply? The linked article doesn't distinguish what type of felons it states " Going forward, Virginians will no longer regain their rights when released from prison—the most recent policy announced by Virginia officials in 2021—nor at any later point, unless Youngkin deems them to be worthy on an individual basis. "

So if a person is convicted of "Willful discharge of a firearm in public" which is a class 6 felony they should lose their voting rights for life? What's next loss of driving privilege's for life for a DUI....

Under the previous Governor Northam, felons could vote even while still serving their sentence on probation or parole. That is extreme.

This order by Youngkin corrects a wrong, putting the onus on felons to apply to have their voting rights restored. The article also states that the updated voting forms elicit information from felons on the nature of their felony, asking them whether it was violent or not. That may go into the consideration. Seems perfectly reasonable and sane to me. I'd rather have it this way than automatic restoration.

Old 03-30-2023, 07:27 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Quote:
Virginia, like a lot of these southern states these days, seems to have taken steps backwards and it’s embarrassing.
I gave this thread a rest, but jumping back in here, give us some details of what you call "steps backwards and embarrassing".

Old 03-30-2023, 07:57 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Quote:
Under the previous Governor Northam, felons could vote even while still serving their sentence on probation or parole. That is extreme.

This order by Youngkin corrects a wrong, putting the onus on felons to apply to have their voting rights restored. The article also states that the updated voting forms elicit information from felons on the nature of their felony, asking them whether it was violent or not. That may go into the consideration. Seems perfectly reasonable and sane to me. I'd rather have it this way than automatic restoration.
Well stated.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:40 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:

And having to apply and based on suitability is just as bad, let the law reflect criteria and let the reinstatement be part of an inmates parole. The documents relating to their incarceration reflect
what they did a, person should just have to ask that it be considered.

Old 03-31-2023, 06:40 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
The brief age of going soft on crime and criminals is ending rapidly nearly everywhere. Even NY, SF and Seattle are reconsidering what they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia