Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2007, 08:04 PM

143 posts, read 758,328 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to move into a 3,500 sq. ft. new construction, dual zone, gas-heated home in James City County west of Williamsburg. I'm curious to find out what other folks with similar sized homes and equipment are paying for their local utilities (gas, water, electric).

Also, how reliable is electric power in and around the Williamsburg area (15 mile radius)? We're also considering a whole house generator, but I don't want to invest the money if it won't be needed much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 08:57 PM

213 posts, read 1,020,985 times
no 2 homes can be compared by size. i'm sure you investigated the utility rates before you decided on this house - the cost per unit will be the same as your neighbors, it is how YOUR family uses utilties that will change. when you did your research did the gas and electric company give you an estimate? they are the experts.

as you know water is tiered by use - the less you use the cheaper per gallon. if you have a sprinkler system be sure to get a meter for it so you do not pay sewage fee on that water. Cox is the only cable company - www.cox.net. of course satellite available also.

trash not provided, you will need to 1) hire private contractor 2) take it to the dump 3) liove in area where trash is provided as part of your HOA fee - not all HOA's do so

generators personal chocie. we lose power during natural emergencies. i was without it for 10 days during the ice storm and 8 during isabel. both rare, but it does happen. decide if the cost v use worth it for your family

Old 01-07-2007, 09:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
The average utility cost is above the national norm but still not too bad....if you look on Yahoo under real estate and neighborhood profiles you can find all kinds of updated statistics including average utility costs.

Last edited by Cattknap; 01-07-2007 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-07-2007, 10:04 AM

Good recommendations and advice. Thank you.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:33 AM

213 posts, read 1,020,985 times
if you are going to use the yahoo page as a reference be sure to change it to the proper zip code. you will notice the numbers change dramtaically for some of the categories, the upper end of the County, where you will be living, is different than the City proper. The yahoo page is off considerably on population number - looks like they included the college students, but still way too high. the City has about 17K and the county about 59K. Many more families w/ children also if the college students are not included - again this is just another tool to use as research and is guideline, once you narrow down choices you need to contact the jurisdictions directly for up-to-date info. looks like the college crime is also included - the sex crimes and thefts on campus will affect that figure but rarely affect the community. call dominion va power, va natural gas and cox - they are the same no matter if in the city or county. water and trash differ upon jurisdiction, you will be in the County.

I don't think you can get an exact cost but the utilities will give you a very good estimate. My yearly utilities are considerably higher than what is listed on the yahoo page - I have 7 in the house and a dock and boathouse, so no way to compare. make the calls and talk to the experts rather rely on inaccurate websites if you really need to know.

the yahoo page does not point out how expensive auto fuel is. always much higher than neighboring communities. in your end of the county you can find a few less priced - particularly on rt 60 just past andersons corner on the left.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:50 AM

Thanks again for the info. Actually, the cost of living doesn't seem that high when compared to where I currently live, which is the Baltimore/Washington area. So aside from water, which is slightly more in JCC, I think our expenses will be manageable. Of course, I am going from an older, single zone 3-story heated home to a new construction, dual zone 2-story heated home, so perhaps that'll even out as well.

You're right. There's really no way to do an accurate comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia