Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 04:46 PM

6 posts, read 20,761 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Been reading quite a bit about Virginia and looking to move there by April. I think Chatham may be the town for us. I can only read so much from the internet and was hoping someone out there can give me more info about the town. We are looking to find a rental house. Coming from Massachusetts and hope to find less harsh winters! Checked out Lynchburg and its a very big city! Want country living, great elementary school system. Looking at towns now between Lynchburg and Danville.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 08:45 AM

84 posts, read 567,489 times
January5....read your post about Chatham and feel bad no one has responded....so I thought I'd give you what little I know. I didn't grow up in Chatham, but in Martinsville, @30min down the road.....southwest I think.....anyway, my parents still live there so I pass through Chatham on my way.....from what I see and what little I know, Chatham overall is alot like the surrounding area of southwest Va. Hard times....not much economic opportunity, jobs are scarce. For kids, I think you mentioned having children, not much to do.....there is a military school locally, however, I'm not sure what it's population is like nowadays....when I was growing up it was for kids who were essentially behavioral problems.....that may or may not have changed. Now, that being said, there are some quite charming older homes on the "main drag".....but I'm not sure it's worth living in the area. Lynchburg is big, but more economically stable......where will you be working???

Old 01-09-2007, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 11,351 times
Sorry to agree with the negatives in bemn's post - I am from Chatham, most recently, and while the older homes are beautiful and the people are for the most part delightful, I really thought I'd live there until I got old - the schools are so-so (I've worked in them and have a son who attended two of them) and while the military school is good, it's only for kids 7th grade and above. There is also a private girls' school and a private elementary school there, both also reportedly very good. The area is depressed due to factories going out of the area, unemployment is high in Danville, the nearest city, and healthcare is okay but not great (I worked at the only hospital for two years, so I know about what I speak!). There are comparatively few college-educated people in the area, and few jobs for people who are college-educated, except in teaching or healthcare. Jobs for anyone not college-educated are pretty limited, probably going to be either a factory (if you can find one) or retail, or a restaurant. I recently heard that the area had the highest unemployment in the state. The surrounding county, Pittsylvania, is rural, yes, and affordable, but it's the same story, with only 'okay' schools - same school system as the town of Chatham.

Lynchburg isn't much better but it is larger. There are really nice areas there, tho, and more opportunities. I'd be more inclined to live outside of Lynchburg, than outside of Danville, if I had to go back. Maybe Bedford, VA? I don't know much about it, but it's pretty. It's to the west of Lynchburg, on the way to Roanoke. So you have a large city on either side (and the new WWII Memorial too, which is beautiful). I think it's right on the Blue Ridge Parkway also. And I know that Charlottesville, VA, is REALLY nice. Everyone loves it but it's still a small city with 'country' all around.

North Carolina is better than Danville/Chatham too, and winters are even milder. But get close to a large city - there are rural areas outside Greensboro, NC, that are nice and still rural.

You may want to try the New River Valley - Blacksburg, Christiansburg and that area - it's a little more expensive than Danville/Chatham but there are two large universities there, it's rural with a nice town in each, lots of amenities, very beautiful area, good schools, lots of recreation, in the mountains, and I am pretty sure the job market is good. A little rougher winters (a few degrees colder than Chatham) but still more mild than where you live, I'd think! Snow comes but then it melts before more comes, most of the time. And the summers aren't as hot and muggy/buggy as Chatham, either. I lived there for several years and it's a great place and I have some family there, so I visit every now and then. Salem and Roanoke are nice too, but larger. And the Catawba Valley, outside Roanoke, is beautiful to drive thru but I know nothing about it besides that!

I do love Virginia. I think you will too.

Good luck!

Last edited by mar3; 01-09-2007 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: added information

Old 01-11-2007, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,147 times
Unhappy Completly agree

I come from a town about 30 minutes from Chatham called Hurt, VA. We had to travel about 15 minutes to attend Middle & High School in Gretna, VA which is about 10 minutes from Chatham. I hate Chatham and I hate Gretna. Gretna has about 1 stop light. Just recently got a Foodlion and a Dollar General. Only about 5 places to eat. One of the main places being a Dairy Queen. Don't even think about any kind of fine dinning. I would not recommend any where in that area to live. There is no opportunity for a successful life. Prime example, there town motto is "Ain't no big thing but its growing." That is what is written on a board as you enter town. No Joke! Gretna and Chatham are identical. Don't move there!!!

Forest, VA & Bedford, VA are beautiful Communities. I like to call it the rich country. One day I plan to move from Madison Heights to Forest. (30 minutes apart) PS. Don't ever consider Madison Heights, VA. Thats in between Lynchburg, VA & Amherst, VA.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,305 times
Cool CA to Gretna, VA

My hubby sure painted a different picture after his recent visit there. I just made him read your post. His comment is "...and that's exactly why we're moving there" -- which reminded him to say he won't have to buy a septic tank because he got a call that the reason he didn't see it was because it was underground. Um. My 18yo's jaw dropped. I'm still laughing. Thanks for the reality check.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 11,351 times
Default I'm glad we rescued you from it

I think the title of this post says it all. But yes, Gretna is identical to Chatham. In fact, while Chatham looks pretty as you drive through (used to have a sign that said, "Prettiest Little Town in the South"), Gretna, I used to say, is the "Ugliest Little Town in the South." It used to be even worse, but at least now they have that actual supermarket....I'd forgotten about the board with the slogan as you drive into town. The problem with those towns, they look quaint and all that, but really, they're just so financially bad-off, that they can't improve things. The big Town Christmas display in Gretna, as I recall, consists of some really tacky, homemade boards painted to look like Christmas stuff, with tinsel attached, out by a caboose planted in the middle of town. Sounds quaint, I know, to some - but it isn't. A friend tells me of someone she knows who inherited a 200-acre farm, with farmhouse etc., in Gretna. They sold everything to move there and I think they lasted a year. There has only been a kids' soccer team for about 3 years, and that's all based on two families that run everything - Scouts, Little League, and now soccer. The stores and restaurants never stay in business more than a couple of years, and none are all that great (but they do try!).

No, don't go there. And yes, Forest is nice - very nice!, and I am glad someone said Bedford is too, because it does LOOK nice.

My ex, who still lives and works there, told me that the Pittsylvania County schools (Chatham et al) are #35 out of 39, in terms of how much money they get in this state for their county schools. Yes, almost dead last. And he works for the schools right now. And that's considered a GOOD job there, because it's steady. His salary is so low that he can't afford heat for his house - together, we couldn't, when I lived there too.

And, gosh, a septic tank? That would be an improvement, compared to my old house - it shares a sewer line with a neighbors' house, so when they backed up, so did we, into our basement. About once a year. Lovely!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:44 PM

8 posts, read 32,599 times
Couple things-

1) Chatham is very quaint...but I will reinforce the statements regarding economic opportunity (and the lack thereof)

2) The Greater Lynchburg area is quite lovely. Bedford, Thaxton, Moneta, Roanoke, Amherst, Forest... you could even go as far North as Charlottesville.

3) madison heights is lovely.. (I live in Elon). well...it *is* sometimes affectionately referred to as 'hog town' but where I live....the septic tanks are always underground and the views of the mountains are PERFECT!!!

-Celt

Old 01-23-2007, 02:41 AM

6 posts, read 20,761 times
Default WOW! ~ You guys are GREAT!

Hi!
Thank you all so much for your input about Chatham. It is exactly the kind of stuff I cannot find online! A natives point of view always wins out. I have looked into Lynchburg and the surrounding areas as well as Charlottesville. My only holdback is the snowfall amount. Thought about going towards Richmond / Tappahannock area, but much more expensive to live in that area. Tappahannock would be an alternative town for us, by reading what I can online. Does anyone know much about that area?Can you tell me about the snowfall/winters in the Lynchburg/Charlottesville/Roanoke area? Winters are one of the reasons for leaving New England. Another reason is the outrageous economy! Don't mind a little snow.......perhaps five inches and under per winter! We are packed up and ready to move, living with the bare neccessities. Still trying to secure a private home rental in an area with exceptionally great elementary schools. I have a 1st and 2nd grader.
Thanks so much! You guys are great!
-january.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:27 AM

Worst winter I remember, I got iced in for 5 days. I was also in the Mountains on the Blue Ridge, about 45 minutes west of Lynchburg. That was 10 - 15 years ago.

Average snowfall for the Lynchburg Area is probably around 3 - 4" per year, maybe less.

We do sometimes see higher amounts, depending upon where you are (read: WEST of Lynchburg).

The area south of lynchburg (Rustburg -> Altavista -> Chatham -> Danville) typically see even less.

The worst part about this area as opposed to the north is that we typically get more freezing rain/sleet. Quite funny to watch the people who think that because they have a 4WD SUV that they can drive on ice....

Ice accumulation is relatively low as well.

Plus... we don't have a single moose in the wild! (though we do have deer....)

Old 01-23-2007, 07:34 AM

as for the Tappahannock area -- very pretty. Especially by the Bay. Cost of living is a bit higher than the central va area.....and it isn't quite as central to other places (though Richmond, Williamsburg, & Newport News aren't terribly far away).

That's one of the advantages of central VA (Lynchburg): 3 hours to D.C., 2.5 hours to Richmond, 2.5 Hours to Raleigh, NC, 3.5 hours to Charlotte, NC. 5 hours to Philadelphia. 8 hours to NYC.

Not sure about the general economy of tappahannock though....

Charlottesville is nice too, if you like to shop. IMO, this is how it breaks down:

NOVA (Northern VA): Expensive & busy. For those who like the 'big city' life and 2 hour, 25 mile commutes.

CVille: An Academic town for Drs, Lawyers, and those used to nice things.

Richmond: A growing city, including the crime rate -- was once #2 in the country, yikes!!! Has a bit of everything.

Blacksburg: College town, growing. Definitely a weird hybrid of redneck meets high tech.

Roanoke/Lynchburg: Medium-size towns with a good blends of Blacksburg & CVille.

Danville: Nice area, but unfortunately plagued by a poor economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia