Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 07:40 AM

7 posts, read 4,277 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I live in a rural area of the northeast, and visited VA for potential places to relocate to (weather, cost of living, property taxes, are biggest reasons) I'm also considering Western NC and North East TN - too many areas really.

Could you help me scout out a few more spots to visit for my second trip, based on my comments from my first trip?

I'm looking to live within about 5 miles of a pretty little town (population anywhere around 3k - 10k) that has live music/good music scene, farmer's market, non-chain restaurants, natural food stores, lively vibe. I'm hoping to find places with fairly good elevation to avoid serious humidity, if possible. Failing that, next to water to jump into and cool off. I haven't looked at any coastal areas but am really open to anything that fits the bill. If politics matter, I would say I'm A-political and quickly losing faith in anything related to the government but I can get along with anyone who is open minded - I love an eclectic environment of mixed views/opinions. I'm not a church-goer (not at all opposed to it either) so need another way to meet folks (single, late 40's, well-read, love philosophical/spiritual/current event discussions but also down-to-earth stuff about gardening etc.). Trying to stay away from strip malls. Do NOT need to be near a Walmart or anything like that.

I work from home so I do need decent internet. Hoping to find a property with 2-10 acres for homesteading.

During my last time in VA, I visited:

Floyd - beautiful area, perfect weather because of elevation (I'm not great with humidity) but the town felt just a little too small (otherwise perfect). I didn't get to Roanoke - it seemed too far from Floyd to consider commuting to for larger town things to do.

Blacksburg/Christiansburg - did not appeal to me - too sprawling, downtown not much going on besides lots of students

Lexington - I only stopped for an afternoon but loved what I did see. Very pretty, charming small walkable downtown

Staunton - Same reasons as Lexington - I loved this little town. I stayed in Stuarts Draft (bit too suburbia) so I think I'd need to focus on being west of 81.

I've also been to:

Asheville, NC - great fun but too big and expensive property - like many others, I'm looking for a small version of this!

Black Mountain, NC - very pretty and well located but (I'm so picky) felt a bit too small and touristy or more catering towards retirees

Waynesville, NC - I can't put my finger on why I didn't like this little town

Thank you for any recommendations for other places to check out on my next trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 08:04 AM

10,132 posts, read 6,505,167 times
Orange, VA. Small town with a nice local vibe. 45 minutes to Fredericksburg and 42 minutes to Charlottesville, VA for major medical services and much larger shopping. Pretty surroundings and a charming downtown with small cafes, music scene, etc. I'd move there myself if I didn't need to be closer to a hospital in an emergency.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:54 AM

778 posts, read 1,060,903 times
If you're willing to look East, I highly recommend Williamsburg, VA. It's slightly larger (14-15k) and doesn't have the elevation but it has everything else you listed.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:28 AM

6,585 posts, read 8,455,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Orange, VA. Small town with a nice local vibe. 45 minutes to Fredericksburg and 42 minutes to Charlottesville, VA for major medical services and much larger shopping. Pretty surroundings and a charming downtown with small cafes, music scene, etc. I'd move there myself if I didn't need to be closer to a hospital in an emergency.
Orange native here and I don't think Orange would meet a lot of OP's wants.

OP, all of Virginia experiences humidity. We've had some humid days already and we can experience them through mid/late October. Even the mountainous areas experience humidity throughout most of the summer.

I notice that you've focused on southwestern part of the state so I'm not sure if you're interested in places further north. Outside of Winchester (Frederick County) or Warrenton (Fauquier County) would be good places to look into.

Winchester is classified as a city but it doesn't feel like a city.

Old 05-13-2024, 12:51 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,422,483 times
OP - I think you have ruled out almost all towns in western Virginia that meet your criteria. The only one not mentioned yet is Abingdon. Are you willing to look in an adjacent state? Sheperdstown WVA ticks your boxes too. It has a lively music scene for a town of its size, farmers market, and a small local university. It does not have much of an urban sprawl.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:13 AM

Thank you so much, everyone!

- I'll research Orange further - thank you, Bungalove.
- I am willing to look east (but hoping to homestead so not sure if it's easy to find a spot with a few acres) - I should really plan a visit there to get a feel for the coast and will put Williamsburg on the list. Thank you djplourd.
- Believe it or not, it also gets quite humid at times in the northeast, too. From all the online research I've done, elevation is key, but thank you for mentioning that Hokiefan.
- Ersatz - perhaps I should not rule out WVA. Thank you for bringing Sheperdstown to my attention - I shall look into that further

I'm definitely planning a trip to Abingdon, VA and will then pop down to TN Tri-City area as it's so close. Not sure if I can then do Northern VA & WVA in the same trip or separate but if separate, I'll make it in August when the humidity should be at it's glorious worst!

Old 05-14-2024, 07:59 PM

2,285 posts, read 4,088,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforhomeagain View Post
Thank you so much, everyone!

- I'll research Orange further - thank you, Bungalove.
- I am willing to look east (but hoping to homestead so not sure if it's easy to find a spot with a few acres) - I should really plan a visit there to get a feel for the coast and will put Williamsburg on the list. Thank you djplourd.
- Believe it or not, it also gets quite humid at times in the northeast, too. From all the online research I've done, elevation is key, but thank you for mentioning that Hokiefan.
- Ersatz - perhaps I should not rule out WVA. Thank you for bringing Sheperdstown to my attention - I shall look into that further

I'm definitely planning a trip to Abingdon, VA and will then pop down to TN Tri-City area as it's so close. Not sure if I can then do Northern VA & WVA in the same trip or separate but if separate, I'll make it in August when the humidity should be at its glorious worst!
Shepherdstown will definitely NOT fit your preconceived notions about West Virginia. (My brother just moved to Harpers Ferry WV which is in the same county - it is an area that is expensive by WV standards and affordable by Northern Virginia standards - if that makes any sense!)

Old 05-15-2024, 09:07 AM

I just looked at some pictures of Shepherdstown online - it looks lovely! Not many homes for sale with an acre or two in the area/surrounding areas but I will definitely look further into this part of the world. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2024, 12:23 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforhomeagain View Post
I just looked at some pictures of Shepherdstown online - it looks lovely! Not many homes for sale with an acre or two in the area/surrounding areas but I will definitely look further into this part of the world. Thanks!
Listings are out there but you must jump on them super quick. Like this one https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9?from=srp-map. A lot of people like Shepardstown! If you are serious about this area, unless you are already living there, you should get a Buyers Agent who can look for and jump on these listings immediately. Or do what many people do - move into a rental there and develop a network of local contacts so you can scout the neighborhoods for properties that will be going on the market soon.

Old 05-16-2024, 04:02 PM

Thanks ersatz! I definitely need to plan a few trips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia