Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 PM

15 posts, read 81,999 times

Advertisements

I am researching the WIlliamsburg area. I have heard people talk about the "Grove" area? What will this be called when I am searching real estate listings? Is it short for something? Can somebody accurately sum up this area? I can afford between $300-330K and I am looking for a decent neighborhood. Not into status seeking. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 04:26 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
im not a wmburg resident so i may be wrong here. i think the grove is the area east of busch gardens between wmburg and the lee hall area?

Old 01-09-2007, 05:50 AM

213 posts, read 1,020,432 times
in tour price range look elsewhere to insure your value. it is james city county, not the city of williamsbutg, does have a 'burg mailing address.

the previous poster is correct - grove is the general area east of busch gardens. it is zip code 23185, and if you go the yahoo webpage people post to use as "current stats" for areas you will get a completely inaccurate picture. if searching on realtor.com or other real estate sites if the elementary school is james river you could be in the grove.

i mentioned to someone on here about a week ago to look at indian circle area - nice decent little section. some new townhouses went up a few years ago and some more are going up now - afffordable and buyers can gt help qualifying, which is wonderful.

The chrches in particular are VERY active in trying to improve the area, a couple was known as "the patriachs" one recently passed. unfortiunately these groups are older - most of the young people show little or no interest

problem is the surrounding areas are "spotty". many rental trailer parks which have a high crime, even stranger on strabger which is rare. our only homocide of this type (not drug related by people known to others-we have has a few of those) was committed by an illegal alien living in one of the trailer parks - he raped and kiled a 16 yr old girl from the park. to make matters worse he is mental unstable and speaks no english. my heart breaks for her family.

we have a few areas that are worse for crime - grove is one of them. it is MUCH better than it was 10-15 years ago, but unbfortunbately it is a fact: combine low income, low-no education, high unemployment, high % of population using social services, many single mother families and you have a recipe for more crime. here and everywhere. does crime happen other places, even in the most expensive gated community? of course - but far less, far less in degree and usually petty stuff by kids. is it nerwport news or hampton? not even close.

no grocery stores or servicrs - but they are not far, nothing is ever far in the city or county. miller mart convenience store is notorious for people using the pay phone to do drug deals (many in the trailer parks do not have phones)

houses are cheaper, the people who care are wonderful. I know many of the teachers at james River and they are a truly committed bunch. the school has advanced classes and tries to get all involved. the county has a rec center attached to the school building.

drive around and see what areas you like. no way can you look on the I'net and make a decision.

if i were a first-time buyer and needed help qualifying i would look hard at the new townhouses. buying in your price range i would not.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:26 PM

291 posts, read 1,360,587 times
I know of a few people who live in this area, in a townhome community and then in a neighborhood of single family homes, many are educated professionals and not on any assitance, in fact two of them are very educated and have great jobs, but they only had 200 grand or so to buy a home, their values are still increasing and some of the areas are very nice and are improving alot! Its no gated community mind you, but some areas in grove are very nice as well as their school too! Good luck.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:39 PM

104 posts, read 521,529 times
Carters Grove is the longer name for it. The area is fair at best. Lot's of trailer parks and townhomes. There are also some older neighborhoods with houses. Grove is a small area between Williamsburg and Newport News, though I think it has a Williamsburg address.

I don't recommend living in Grove, but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:16 PM

291 posts, read 1,360,587 times
There are some very nice townhome communities in Grove that somehow managed to not have the crime that the rest of the area has going on, but there are also areas like this in other parts of Williamsburg, its not just grove that has drugs and crime, do not be deceieved into thinking just cause you live elsewhere you are safe, cause your not. Even Kingsmill has that but they also have the money to cover it up, and cover it up is what they do very well around here too..do not be fooled. There are some nice homes in grove and then there are soms slums, it really does depend on where you live over there. Or anywhere for that matter here. I know of a few investors who bought homes and made alot of money and the values on the homes and townhomes are going stronger than most, cause there is a very strong demand for housing under 200k...so in some respects this area is doing better than those who sell for much more, at least investment wise here. Don't be scared of everyone who tells you a area is bad, have a open mind and just cause they are older homes and townhomes does not make them bad!!!

Old 01-23-2007, 03:38 PM

213 posts, read 1,020,432 times
Looking... - i do not think you are reading the posts correctly.

no one said grove was bad because it had townhouses, or that there weren't nice parts of grove. I did say it was "spotty" and IT IS. i also said other areas have crime, of course they do. if you know this area at all you know grove is one of the worst - that does not mean there are not nice, weel educated, caring people in the area. all areas have a variety of people and housing.

the poster said they could spend over 300K - and in that price range grove is NOT the place to be. i have often said the indian circle neighborhood is decent for the money - it is. it is also surrounded by VERY SPOTTY areas and people need to know this.

You need to comprehend what is written.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 14,386 times
Default There are many homes in the williamsburg area in your price range

Right now you can get a house in your price range in many areas of Williamsburg. You can email me if you would like more information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
I am researching the WIlliamsburg area. I have heard people talk about the "Grove" area? What will this be called when I am searching real estate listings? Is it short for something? Can somebody accurately sum up this area? I can afford between $300-330K and I am looking for a decent neighborhood. Not into status seeking. Thank you.

Last edited by fangrdn; 11-25-2007 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: letting them know I can help them

Old 11-26-2007, 04:42 PM

14 posts, read 46,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
I highly recommend the LongHill Road area especially where it joins Centerville Road
Might I suggest an evening visit to this charming area for an unforgetable
experience.

Ask me about the area I grew up in and lived many years before I exiled
myself across the river.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,325 times
Default 214 Tarleton Bivouac

I was really surprised when I drove through the Grove area. Some homes are nice and well kept while other right next door look they are from the slums. As an example, 214 Tarleton Bivouac looks like a junk yard compared to the surrounding homes. The owner owns a landscaping business, but his yard is the worse one on the block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia