Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 11:52 PM

35 posts, read 133,509 times

Advertisements

I've been reading postings on Warrenton and most sounded pretty positive. It almost seemed as though I was getting very close to finding that just right place when, boom, a few posters pointed out that the town can have somewhat of a Mayberry R.F.D. reputation with Clara Edwards types spreading peoples' personal info around. I'm also looking at Fredericksburg which is a bit larger, but still a small town by some standards. Does it too have this same problem? For me, this is not a matter of personal dirt being spread around. It is a matter of personal security being compromised! In today's world, gossip about someone's marital/social status, the layout of the inside of their home, or things of value inside may seem like innocent small talk to some, but could have dire consequences if that info fell on the ears of someone with criminal intent. Just how large does a town have to be before people distance themselves from this kind of behavior and engage in more productive pursuits? Sorry, had to vent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 05:06 AM

743 posts, read 3,904,047 times
I think Fredericksburg is too large to have that problem... but that's just my opinion.

Fredericksburg City itself is still semi-smal (only a population around 20k people), but if you count the surrounding population as well, you're looking at closer to 200k or so. But most of those people just commute to DC/NoVa and back, and hardly ever venture into the historic downtown...

Anyways, you might get a little of that along your street or so, but the city and surrounding area is too large for anyone to try to keep track of everyone else's business.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 AM

81 posts, read 357,347 times
I have lived in Warrenton for over 7 years, and I haven't ever witnessed the small town gossip you are talking about.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:54 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,013,642 times
Anyone who has lived in a town their entire lives will know other's of the same age/longevity and they will gossip--whether it's a big city or small town.
No one will know you and therefore will have nothing to talk about!

Fredericksburg City isn't that large, but the surrounding Stafford/Spotsylvania area is huge---traffic here is awful, and getting worse. Housing is very expensive. Salaries aren't large, unless you commute to No. Va.!
That being said, this is still a decent place to live. Good schools, and activities and entertainment is getting better year by year. Shopping has been improving at a brisk pace, as well.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:48 PM

14 posts, read 88,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed982 View Post
I've been reading postings on Warrenton and most sounded pretty positive. It almost seemed as though I was getting very close to finding that just right place when, boom, a few posters pointed out that the town can have somewhat of a Mayberry R.F.D. reputation with Clara Edwards types spreading peoples' personal info around. I'm also looking at Fredericksburg which is a bit larger, but still a small town by some standards. Does it too have this same problem? For me, this is not a matter of personal dirt being spread around. It is a matter of personal security being compromised! In today's world, gossip about someone's marital/social status, the layout of the inside of their home, or things of value inside may seem like innocent small talk to some, but could have dire consequences if that info fell on the ears of someone with criminal intent. Just how large does a town have to be before people distance themselves from this kind of behavior and engage in more productive pursuits? Sorry, had to vent!

Maybe in 1950. Warrenton is plenty big and still growing. I wish the growth would slow, but thats never going to happen. I am glad I moved out this way. You can find some great buys in the area now and I would not worry about people spreading gossip.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:56 PM

578 posts, read 2,100,663 times
Is Warrenton still rural?

Old 07-01-2008, 03:59 PM

14 posts, read 88,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
Is Warrenton still rural?
I dont think so. I live off of rt.211 and that is rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia