Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2007, 08:40 AM
AVA AVA started this thread

129 posts, read 321,182 times

Advertisements

If anyone is familiar with the lake Anna area I was wondering is this a good vacation spot?Is it near shopping,dining and tourist destinations?What town would be the best to rent a vacation home in?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 11:05 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,787 times
I have been there a few times. It's a nice lake and you can rent a place right on the water. Go to www.lakeannaonline.com and you should be able to find all of the info you need.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:47 AM

4 posts, read 15,022 times
Exclamation Ummm, I wouldn't

Lake Anna is nice for a day trip or if you are into peace and quiet and the outdoors.

2 things to know. First is that lake Anna is in the boonies and there really is nothing to do in that Area except go to the lake.

Second is that Lake Anna is part of a Neuclear power plant. Personally although its a nice lake that always gave me the creeps.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:31 AM

145 posts, read 834,620 times
Nuclear power plants work thusly:

The radioactive process makes the radioactive stuff really hot. To cool the radioactive stuff, which is always inside a sealed container/pipe, they send the pipe through regular water. The heated regular water is in another sealed pipe, and they send that through Lake Anna to cool it.

I hope that makes sense. I grew up 15 minutes from Lake Anna, swam in it a few time, and I have two children, both of which have ten fingers, ten toes, two eyes, etc. I would not worry about the power plant- I know people don't worry about it when their homes are always lit and heated. France is 80% nuclear (we are 20% or less, I think- the remainder is some natural gas and mostly coal, I'd rather live near a nuke plant than a coal plant, personally).

As for it being in the boonies...the poster above is absolutely right about that! No shopping nearby, except for live bait, beer, and suntan lotion. About 20 minutes driving will get you to Big Box heaven, though.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:29 AM

743 posts, read 3,900,241 times
AVA, Lake Anna is a great place to vacation, but don't expect to go to the movies, or shopping, or anything even close to that... The real action is all water based... I would suggest renting a boat or jet ski, to check out all the hidden areas of the lake. there are some small islands that you can pull your boat onto, and explore. During the summer some areas of the lake get PACKED. I've seen several huge sea planes land on the main part of the lake, and people get on the roofs to barbeque and jump off thw wings. Things get kinda crazy sometimes, but there is always the quiet side channels.

Anyways, one peice of advice... don't go in late summer. The lake gets HOT. Between 100+ days and the powerplant pumping hot water into the lake, the water temp can get above 100 degrees! When it gets that warm, you'll litterally sweat while swimming, and it's not healthy if you accidently swallow some either.

Just keep that in mind.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:27 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post
If anyone is familiar with the lake Anna area I was wondering is this a good vacation spot?Is it near shopping,dining and tourist destinations?What town would be the best to rent a vacation home in?
Thanks!
Are you looking at Lake Anna because you're driving distance from it? I ask because your interests describe more of what Smith Mountain Lake has to offer, rather than what Lake Anna's strengths are (which are many, just not quite what you describe). You might consider looking closely at Smith Mountain Lake if it's not too far a drive. "SML" is heaven on earth for shopping, dining and tourist destinations. State and national parks, beaches, boating, fishing, four national fishing championships including a Bassmaster/ESPN event, golf courses, rental homes, condos, etc. Be careful though, you'll be looking at real estate on about the 3rd day of your vacation

I still think Lake Anna wins hands down for best named roads. I mean, how can you beat Bumpass Road?

Sean

Old 02-25-2007, 02:07 PM

5,335 posts, read 4,424,945 times
My in-laws live on Lake Anna. This is one of the great spots in VA! They live right across from the nuclear power plant, so I am very familiar with the warm water. However, that is just one section of the lake. This area of the 13000 acre lake is 4000 acres of warmer water. It is also the "private side." That is only homeowners have direct access from land to the lake. The "public" side (9000 acres) has much cooler water and is the side that
tourists would enter the lake from. You will find all kinds of water sports available. But, if you are looking for more recreation (shopping, movies, etc) your best bets are Louisa and Fredrickburg. Both are about 30 minutes away from Lake Anna but in opposite directions of each other. I know that this isn't alot of info but it's a start. good luck

Old 02-26-2007, 06:04 AM

97 posts, read 616,292 times
Default the reason it was built...

By the way, the reason Lake Anna exists is because Dominion Power built it specifically for a Nuclear Plant (4 to be exact). Only 2 were completed because a hurricane prematurely filled it before it was finished. The federal government restricts the amount of temperature increase due to the plant of +/- 2 degrees F.

No radiation is released into the water as the lake water is isolated from the core/turbine water. People work on the nuclear fuel from as close as 6 feet as a daily job and live perfectly normal lives. Less people have died as a result of the nuclear industry than any other industry process in the past 20 years.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,978 times
We visit Lake Anna every year, and usually stay for a long weekend. The area is peaceful and beautiful. It is, however a bit of a rural area. So, don't expect the lights and glitter that might be found at other larger lake areas. Check out [url=http://go2lakeanna.com]Lake Anna Rentals | Virginia's Exclusive Lake Community[/url] for info
Attached Thumbnails
Lake Anna ?'s-lake-anna-ad.jpg  

Old 06-30-2014, 10:46 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,870 times
Lake Anna is moving along. A few years ago it got a Food Lion, Subway and a few other store in a small strip shopping center. The Food Lion isn't too bad, caters to the lake as it has a very decent beer and wine section for a grocery store. Heh, a Dollar General is going in right now too! I was actually able to count about seven places to eat at the lake,if you include Subway and a carry out pizza joint. Seriously, Tim's is a very good place to eat. So, yes, it's still out in the boonies, but at least a few things have been added since this original post in 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia