Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 9,902 times

Advertisements

Hi All~
Just wanted to say, my husband and I are beyond thrilled to be moving to the Roanoke area from Pennsylvania. (My grandmother was from the South Boston area and my hubby camped in the Shenandoah Valley every summer since he was a little boy.) We see a nice mixture of growth and 'country' and are so happy we finally made it here. We can't wait to explore, meet new people, tour the historical sites, and follow the Blue Grass trail!

Two items:

1. If anyone knows of a job lead or networking contact for an accountant with lots of diversified experience (I have a Bachelor's Degree but no CPA), please shoot me an email! I am just starting my search (fortunately my husband had a job before we even moved here) and am utilizing all the internet job search sites, plus doing some networking in the area. I used to drive 1 1/4 hrs to get to my last job, so I am open to a position anywhere in the Roanoke, Franklin, and Botetourt counties.

2. Are there any former Pittsburghers in the area?

Thanks to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 02:37 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Val View Post
We can't wait to explore, meet new people, tour the historical sites, and follow the Blue Grass trail!
Hey Calico Val, I live in Franklin County, welcome to the neighborhood! It's the Crooked Road, but close enough

My personal and corporate accountants are Boitnott & Schaben Llc @ (540) 966-0114. They're over in Botetourt County and Joe Schaben - my accountant - might have some leads for you. He's super friendly, just give him a call and tell him Sean the mad scientist in Boones Mill gave you his number

We have a horse farm and one of our boarders lives in northern Roanoke County and is an accountant with a local accounting firm. She also does not have her CPA. She's fresh out of college and has only worked in Roanoke for a year or so, but she might have some contacts for you. I'll ask her if it's okay for me to have you email her (I'm sure it's fine but she's not a public figure persay so I want to respect her privacy).

Also, email Stuart Meese (Stuart.Mease@RoanokeVa.gov). He's employed by the city of Roanoke and is in charge of coordinating events and programs to attract and retain young professionals. As a result, he is what you would call a social and professional connector. If you email him, tell him what you've told the forum here, he might have some extremely valuable leads for you. Visit his blog at http://connectingpeople.typepad.com/ - and be sure to email him, you won't regret it. I'm having lunch with him next week, if you PM me your contact info I'll bring it with me to give to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Val View Post
Are there any former Pittsburghers in the area?
Our girls go to North Cross (http://www.northcross.org) a private school in Roanoke. Lee and Karol Armbuster have a son attending North Cross, they moved here in late '06 from Pittsburgh. They live down on the Water's Edge at Smith Mountain Lake so they're quite a hike from Roanoke. But Lee is/was the President of Shop 'n Save based in Pittsburgh. Karol writes for the Smith Mountain Laker (http://www.smithmountainlaker.com/janfeb2007.html) so you can get in touch with her through there.

Hope this helps, good luck on your job search and welcome to the Roanoke Valley!

Sean

Old 02-07-2007, 02:56 PM

Sean,
It's wonderful people like you that make us so happy to be in Virginia. I thank you for your kindness and will most definitely use all of the contacts listed, as well as forward my contact info to you.

Please let me know if I can ever return the favor!

PS-If we ever see any smoke blowing as we pass through Boones Mill, does that mean the 'mad scientist' is busy at work?! (My husband will want to come and play, too...)lol...

Old 02-07-2007, 04:50 PM

73 posts, read 474,835 times
Default welcome!

Calico Val, I don't have advice for your job situation but it sounds like SeanPecor's got that covered. I'm just writing to say how excited I am that so many people love the area as much as my fiance and I do. We'll be out there within a month or two; just have to finalize our own job prospects.

Sean, I'm very interested in your mad scientist horse farm! My fiance (PaperTrail on this forum) and I are planning to buy a minifarm, 5-10 acres, after we move out there. You seem to be the fount of Roanoke knowledge, so if you have any leads for us on places that may be coming up for sale, or simply the best area to live that's no more than about 20 minutes from downtown, I'd sure be happy to hear it. We're most interested right now in the Bennett Springs/Mason's Cove area. We have five dogs and four cats, and eventually that menagerie will include two or three horses, so we need proper zoning. Plus, I'm planning to open a business on the property, so we need easy access for clients.

Val, I'm sorry to have hijacked your thread! Welcome to Roanoke.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:48 AM

Hey Ryleigh,
Do keep in touch and let me know when you arrive-I am a real animal lover and your 'menagerie' sounds great! We currently have 3 bad cats; I am hoping once we get settled we can get a dog or two, also. My hubby said he will divorce me if I bring home any more cats, but he's such a softie...

What area are you moving from?

Best of luck!

Old 02-09-2007, 12:54 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryleigh View Post
You seem to be the fount of Roanoke knowledge, so if you have any leads for us on places that may be coming up for sale, or simply the best area to live that's no more than about 20 minutes from downtown, I'd sure be happy to hear it. We're most interested right now in the Bennett Springs/Mason's Cove area.
I've been busy catching a head cold, sorry I didn't catch this message sooner

One of our boarders (Joan) is the 3rd grade teacher over at Mason's Cove elementary. If you google masons cove I think their school page shows up near the top, and you can find Joan's email on the staff page over there. She doesn't live near the school, but she may be familiar with that area and could be helpful.

I know a lady that is renting in Catawba a little further up 311 and the one thing she mentioned about that area is it's generally windier and colder during the winter. On the other hand, I believe land values are not as elevated on that side the Valley as they are in my neck of the woods. You're pretty close to I-81 and the NS train tracks in Masons Cove but depending on where you are you might not get bothered by that. Unless you get a bit further out of town on 311 I'd be really worried about long term zoning issues. You'd be close to a major commercial corridor.

In my side of the Roanoke area I know of two horse-ready properties. One is $625K, a nice big period colonial house on 16 acres w/ an outdoor ring and barns. It's close to Boones Mill. I know of a FSBO that might still be on the market in the Garden City area for something like $340,000 but it needed alot of work all around. There are a couple fixers with acreage in the $200K range. If you PM me your budget I can be more helpful.

Sean

Old 02-11-2007, 04:09 PM

73 posts, read 474,835 times
Val,

I'll definitely keep you updated. The job process is going slower than I'd anticipated (stoopid large companies), but I had thought I'd be there by March 1. I doubt that will happen at this rate!

We're going to have our hands full when we do move, what with the critters and changing jobs and selling houses and getting married in April. We have a lot going on at once! Wish us luck!

I bet your husband will cave on the "no dogs" thing. I can't imagine my life without my monsters! lol

edited to add: I meant to answer your question about where we're coming from. I live in Virginia Beach right now, and my fiance lives in Chesapeake, which is right next door to VB. It's insanely congested here. It has its perks, for sure, but I'm ready for the country and a slower pace and friendlier people.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:07 PM

10 posts, read 49,226 times
Hi Calico and Ryleigh,
I'm glad to hear we have some nice folks (and fellow animal lovers) moving to the area. My husband and I both live here in Roanoke along with our 2 cats and our mini schnauzer. I also have several stray kitties that I've "adopted" as my own. We have an all-you-can-eat cat buffet in our back yard! We're quite popular with the local felines. :-) My hubby was born & rasied in these parts. I moved here about 4 years ago from Boston, MA to be with him. I know it can be a little frustrating finding employment here, b/c it's a little bit smaller town and many companies seem to hire new folks based on referrals and such. The classifieds section in the Roanoke Times is not always the best resource for finding a job. I have heard a website advertised on the radio that might be of help. It's blueridgehelpwanted.com. You may want to check that out. I am a marketing officer for a local bank and my husband is a real estate agent. I found my job with the bank by attending a job fair in Botetourt that they hold every year called "Botetourt Works." If you check some of the local chamber of commerce websites, you might find out about upcoming job fairs and things like that. The website for the Botetourt County Chamber is: www.bot-co-chamber.com. and the website for the Roanoke Chamber is www.roanokechamber.org. Calico - if you're looking for an accountant job, I could give the names of some folks I know within the banking industry and you could see if there might be any positions open. I can also recommend some resources for finding employment here. Ryleigh, you'll have to let me know what kind of work you're looking for. Best of luck to both of you! I hope you make it to our "neck of the woods" soon! Take Care, Cari

Last edited by Yac; 02-15-2007 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Realtor Ad.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,739 times
Default Horses in Roanoke

I just got uprooted by the company I work for. I need to find a house and barn to lease or rent. The barns I have looked at so far were... from comical to condemable. Can anyone give me an idea of where to look, good contacts, or if anyone knows about a good place? ANY help appreciated.
-Frantic from TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia