Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:05 PM

253 posts, read 805,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
That is why I suggested an entire region of the state as opposed to just one locality!
i agree with OP, i think what OP is tryen to find out, is where NOT to live, anyone can say where to live, but in some cases, it might be faster to the answere to ask where NOT to live....didnt see how other poster found their question irrevelant...... on that note, i dont live there, but have traveled thru often, id say stick inland, more towards mtns....less crowded and pricey verses shores. but maybe you should re-ask your queston just in case, and give people insight on what you like to find in a area, like outdoor recreation or nightclubs, etc, that way people can give you a more direct answere to help you truly find a area that will suite you best....just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 AM

43 posts, read 155,204 times
Based on poverty levels and all other quality of life metrics, Northampton and Accomack Counties (known as the "Eastern Shore" region) are listed as the poorest in Virginia -- they're actually on that island off of the Virginia coast.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:30 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
what a vague, trivial, and biased question. Lets see, east end NN, park place in norfolk, seven corners fall church, nine mile road in richmond....the list can go on and on. Irrelevant topic
what a snotty, childish, obnoxious reply. And if the topic is irrelevent, why did you bother replying?

Back to the question...

Petersburg aka Ghetto, VA.

PS many areas of NN are very nice.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:42 AM

361 posts, read 1,465,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
what a snotty, childish, obnoxious reply. And if the topic is irrelevent, why did you bother replying?

Back to the question...

Petersburg aka Ghetto, VA.

PS many areas of NN are very nice.
Because the thread itself is very vague and open to interpretation and ones individual percpective. I for one live in NN, and yes there are many nice parts to the city in addition to "bad areas". To classify one whole area or region as the "worst" is vague. One person's "ghetto" is another persons home that they treasure

Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 AM

35 posts, read 114,390 times
Default It's all relative...

Hi, folks,

You should talk about the best place to live instead of the worst place to live. Some of the places you trash as being the worst places are the only places that some folks can afford. What's important is: "what's the best place for you?". If you have $500K to spend on a home, then the best place of you is different from the guy who has less than $200K to spend or the guy who has to keep his rent under $1,000/mo. Whatever your price range, there will be best and worst places, but you obviously have fewer choices on the low end.

I grew up in Richmond, lived 20 years in Philly, and now have been in Williamsburg for about 6 years. I grew up sort of on the "low end". Born here:
Lived here in Varina (age 3 - 16): By the way, we had 3 BRs, 1 Bath... parents, grandmother, sister and me. NO problems!
Now... 34 years later:

Is my current place a better place to live? Absolutely! In fact, I'd highly recommend Williamsburg and Fords Colony to anyone. Truly the good life!
But, if you can't afford to live here, then you have to find your own "best place". Find a good real estate agent and check out all the options, talk to the neighbors, ask questions about what's important to you, and you'll find your own best place. It's all relative!

Sorry that the photos are so big. I tried to make them smaller. I'm still trying to figure all of this out!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:43 AM

4 posts, read 27,798 times
The ghetto areas are the worst places

Old 02-07-2009, 06:45 AM

4 posts, read 27,798 times
WHERE EVER IT IS GHETTO WILL BE THE WORST PLACES

Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 AM

162 posts, read 638,442 times
1. Hopewell

2. Norfolk

Give me time to explore more of the state.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:59 AM

162 posts, read 638,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripateticshutin View Post
Based on poverty levels and all other quality of life metrics, Northampton and Accomack Counties (known as the "Eastern Shore" region) are listed as the poorest in Virginia -- they're actually on that island off of the Virginia coast.
We're all different with different opinions. That's for sure. I couldn't live on the eastern shore due to it being Hicksville in my book. But we know people who lived in a not-so-nice area of Hampton in a town house who built a house on the ES. The hickest I could live would be Carrollton.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:43 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,354 times
The worst place in Virginia is Richmond. It gets even worse the further south you go, but Richmond wins hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia