Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:32 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times

Advertisements

Would you rather drive 8 hours back there or be unable to drive for the next decade? You're an adult, you decide what consequences you'd rather bear. And I would not believe just anything off of "a website". The last website I stumbled upon claimed sniffing ash could cure aids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 12:07 AM

3 posts, read 38,890 times
cant i just send in the form the cop gave me, wait for the fine, and then pay it?
thats what the cop said i should do, he said: send this in and its a plea of guilty and the court will send you back the fine in the mail.

should i just do that?

Old 04-19-2007, 06:39 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
There is no way i can drive 8 hrs back there for court. Can i just hire an attorney to go to court for me? i saw that thats possible on a website??
An attorney is you in most cases, so his presence alone would count as appearing, but talk to one first so you know what to expect and what you will need to do. This is a criminal matter. Courts aren't always so concerned about what's convenient for the perp (that would be you). Most people do get through a reckless without crippling or long-term damage. Some don't. Which would you rather be? You essentially can't represent yourself...hire someone who can represent you...soon...

Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
cant i just send in the form the cop gave me, wait for the fine, and then pay it? thats what the cop said i should do, he said: send this in and its a plea of guilty and the court will send you back the fine in the mail. should i just do that?
What you should do is talk to lawyer. A guilty plea will put a criminal conviction on your record. It will stay there for a minimum of eleven years. It will affect your ability to get things...among them are credit and jobs. On every form you ever fill out that asks if you've ever had a criminal conviction, you will have to say 'Yes'. Do the right thing now so you don't spend the next twenty years wishing that you had...

Old 04-19-2007, 08:23 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
The way you are handling this shows your immaturity. I have half a mind to say... "yes just ignore it..." see what happens. Ignoring things won't make it go away...it makes it worse!

You have been given some great advice here and in the other 2 threads...TAKE IT!

And saying I simply can't drive 8 hours to go to court... is a cop out. 8 hours is one day. It would take 3 days out of your life to appear. I know many a young person who have driven futher for a one night concert. If you contact them and tell them your circumstances I am sure the court will give you a continuence to a better time for you. Have a date ready to give them.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,925 times
I have gotten a reckless in VA (50 in a 25) and I would say since your from NJ and you have the chance to just send the ticket in I would say do that because I'm from New York and all I got was a $570 fine and I was required to show up at court (due to the fact I am under 20) and I did not and all they gave me was the fine. You shouldn't get the outrageous fines that VA drivers do, but see what the fine is in NJ because I think they usually give you what your home state would do for a reckless, but I am not 100% thats what will happen I thought that you might want to know this because it sounds like what happened to me

Old 12-20-2008, 10:00 AM

931 posts, read 3,803,762 times
Just ignore it dawg, just like you ignored the speed limit.

Virginia will just be like, yo dawg you can't come back to our cool state for like 10 years.

It's all good man. Don't over think it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia