Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:29 AM

770 posts, read 3,681,335 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate. My husband is a police officer, so it would have to be somewhere that is hiring. It looks like there are several department hiring in Virginia. I am looking for a nice place, that has not yet been hit by the skyrocketing costs of homes. Here are a list of some of the places hiring. I would like to get a fairly new home for under 250.

Counties:
Chesterfield
Ablemarle
Prince William
Henrico
Arlington
Fairfax

Cities hiring:
Virginia beach
alexandria
charlottesville
roanoke
petersburg
norfolk
hopewell
lake monticello
winchester
massanutten

Those are the available jobs in VA. Again I would like affordable housing, good schools, I do not want to be more then 3 hours from the coast, due to having family there. So I would like to stay on the east side of VA, north, south middle it doesn't really matter. I just need some guidance as to where I should start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 04:51 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,393 times
I think most of those counties sounds nice, esp Roanoak and alexandria, housing would prolly be alot more in Alexandria. I think Petersburg is sorta of depressed, but I could be wrong here too. I personally would pick one of these two as I have seen them and have some knowledge of. Housing should be doable at 250 in Roanake and you should be bout 4 hours or so to the coast in my calculations here. Going from Roanoak to Norfolk would be about 4 or 4 and half hours maybe. Good luck to you, Va is beautiful, we lived here for a few years and are going to move oursevles over to the area north of Roanoak.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:23 PM

743 posts, read 3,901,928 times
Chesterfield would be nice I think... it's a great area, with affordable housing and good schools

Old 04-21-2007, 09:59 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,300,508 times
Lake Monticello would be good too..... Those priced out of Charlottesville and Albemarle County have been buying out there and I believe it's still affordable and a beautiful area....

Old 04-22-2007, 07:20 AM

213 posts, read 1,021,147 times
I would look at where is a place he wants to work and then decide where to live. No way would I consider norfolk, Hopewell, Petersburg - so many nicer communities to work in. I am in James City County - a nice community where it is desirable to be PO and many of them work here and live in new kent, gloucester. If a community isn't listed as hiring that doesn;t mean they won;t in the future - jobs open up all the time. Pick a great place to work, where is more likely to come home veryday, doesn't have to deal with a high level of violent crime everyday and is still challenged. He should call each deaprtment he is considering and ask about community make-up, number of calls, type of calls - he'll know what to ask, and get the published numbers. Once you narrow down the job to the communities he is interested in you'll know where to look. Many PO's are leaving the larger, hard to police areas and applying to the smaller communities - so keep at it.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:36 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,151,301 times
Another option would be to get in with a sheriff's department. The rural counties here use them and the cost of living is going to be less. Also, he might want to look into some of the military installations. They are always looking for police - many of them have contractors, but some still have their own hires, and then you can get federal benefits, which is HUGE! I would recommend looking at Ft. Lee (Chesterfield County), Fort AP Hill (Caroline County) and then you have Ft. Eustis (Williamsburg area), Ft. Monroe (VA Beach) and numberous others in the beach area.

As to affordable housing, the closer you get to the DC area, the more expensive your housing will be, and the traffic will be worse. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2007, 07:25 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,472 times
I live in Newport news. which is near Ft. Eustis. If you stay on the northorn side Newport news is real nice. be choosy about the neighbrhoods and houses stay away from the downtown area where the houses are cheaper. high crime horrible schools.

virginia beach is real nice but a lot more "city like" and homes are much more expensive. Suffolk is up and coming and most of it has decent schools and is most affordable. There is so much to choose from around here depending on what you want.

Oh! keep with your idea of staying away from norfolk.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:31 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,393 times
Lee hall is in the north end of NN, where is "safer" but certainly has alot of problems as well, but its the better part here...and the school is horrible, voted 1 or 2 and is in big trouble...rethink it if you have children.

Look into the lower end of James City County, if you really have to live in Hampton roads, better to towards Richmond where housing is better and more affordable.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:01 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,472 times
I would agree about lees mill. I dont live to far from there. the beechmont area is great. schools are good. (except middle, passage is horrible) a lot of people in this area send their kids to private school just for the middle school years. The Mechville area is fantastic. Menville high even made the best schools list. (top 10 I think). York county is awsome also.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:58 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
I would agree about lees mill. I dont live to far from there. the beechmont area is great. schools are good. (except middle, passage is horrible) a lot of people in this area send their kids to private school just for the middle school years. The Mechville area is fantastic. Menville high even made the best schools list. (top 10 I think). York county is awsome also.
It's spelled Menchville and it's a great area i think the best you can do in Newport News. York County is also a good option but a little expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia