Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 AM

15 posts, read 79,207 times

Advertisements

Hi, I know there are so many different threads with certain towns in VA, but I'm wondering if anyone would be so kind as to inform me about the state and areas you live in in VA. I'm a recent college grad, looking to start graduate school sometime soon in the art history or anthropology fields. of course where i end up going to school will be a decision on where i ultimately stay for awhile, but I have some time to kill and am interested in relocating to Virginia. I love history and beautiful colonial america so I want to move somewhere that has a nice historical background.

what do you local virginians or recent residents think about certain areas? what are some "good" cities, or towns you would recommend for me? i was thinking of williamsburg, but I can't get a whole lot of information other than the tourist information about the town/surrounding areas. obviously money is a factor, (student) but i would be very grateful to any helpful opinions and thoughts.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by iamgin; 04-26-2007 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: confusing title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 05:54 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,981,289 times
If you love history you will love Williamsburg VA. If you live here you can get an annual pass to Colonial Williamsburg for $10, you also get free admission to Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Battlefields. If you are thinking of attending William & Mary you would want to live close by in Williamsburg City, James City County or parts of northern York County. It is a quiet area not much night life when compared to other college towns that I have lived in. Search " Williamsburg" in this forum to get more comments about the area. Or better yet come and visit !

Old 04-27-2007, 07:14 AM

i would love to come visit. i keep trying to get my friends to go with me. and i'm so jealous of the impending celebrations this may! i can't find a hotel room...i may just sleep in my car if i can at least get there!

Old 04-27-2007, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,269 times
Default Native Virginian

Howdy, I was born and raised in Fairfax County in Northern Virginian (NOVA). When I grew up my area was rural farmland that in the past four decades has been transformed into a major urban county with over 1 million people. It is a vibrant area full of new restaurants, immigrants, plenty of employment and numerous opportunities for educational advancement. It also has BAD traffic problems and a high cost of living. I moved out to there about 20 years ago to the next county west (Loudoun) to a rural area known as Philomont. You can wiki "Philomont" to get all the details on my home "town".

I went to school in Williamsburg and I love that area as well. Both NOVA and Tidewater have experienced tremendous growth. However, as you wish to continue your education I would suggest either NOVA, Tidewater or UVA at Charlottesville. Tidewater has warmer winters with virtually no snow but it does get a true Virginia "sticky Summer." I'm used to that and I feel frozen up north, say in Rhode Island, when the July temps are below 90 degrees. Plus, I don't lie swimming in ice cold water as I did at Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire. Sandbridge south of Virginia Beach has great waves and the water is near enough the Gulfstream to be real nice in swimming season.

I admit I'm biased but I love Virginia and I have been all around the world from Europe and Russia to Africa, South America, Canada and most of the Continental US. Virginia is not too far north nor south but close to the best of both. I can drive to New York City or Savannah Georgia in a day easily. I can be hiking in majestic mountains within 15 minutes or at the Kennedy Center in DC watching Harry Connick. Jr. within an hour's travel. I live 30 minutes away from a major International Airport (Dulles) with direct flights throughout the US and world. I have a dozen top rated hospitals with an hour of my house.

I wish you success in your move and I hope that if you come here you will find a nice place to call a bit of the Old Dominion your own.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:20 PM

Oh, that sounds lovely. That is one of the attractive aspects of living in that area for me as well. Here in, Oklahoma, which is kind of the South, Midwest and the West...we're not really sure....you have to travel hours upon hours to really get anywhere "different". But where you live is a wonderful "center." I'm excited about that.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:16 PM

17 posts, read 49,632 times
I have to agree with Farknight. Northern Virginia would be the best choice. You are young and Northern Virginia have a lot of places you can go too. Williamsburg is nice also but how many times can you visit Jamestown and the rest of Williamsburg. Williamsburg is a very lovely place, but if you wanted to go out and about you would have to drive, where to Northern Virginia it's busy but some places you can find to be rural. Also, by you being a student you don't want to go to far up North. Like Farknight said it has transformed tremendously. So the cost of living will be higher. It's all in what you can afford and what you make of it. The traffic is a FREAKIN' HEADACHE but if you have it set in your mind that it will be traffic you wouldn't have a problem. I wish you the best in your move to Virginia. I myself is trying to leave. The further South the cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia