Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 AM

713 posts, read 1,462,016 times

Advertisements

just looking for some feedback/opinion on how you VA residents rate your state government folks. bad, good, incompetent, waste money, etc etc ?

here in AZ its a mess. 1.6B in the red and just borrowed 700M from BoA to pay schools. AZ govt is basically incompetent. AZ schools (k-12) are the worst in the nation. AZ economy for Nov just surpassed Detroit in terms of down-turn (AZ economy is still better than Detroit. Detroits down-turn has been going on for last 20yrs).

i ask this question because i have to move to VA in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 AM

4 posts, read 7,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post
just looking for some feedback/opinion on how you VA residents rate your state government folks. bad, good, incompetent, waste money, etc etc ?

here in AZ its a mess. 1.6B in the red and just borrowed 700M from BoA to pay schools. AZ govt is basically incompetent. AZ schools (k-12) are the worst in the nation. AZ economy for Nov just surpassed Detroit in terms of down-turn (AZ economy is still better than Detroit. Detroits down-turn has been going on for last 20yrs).

i ask this question because i have to move to VA in a few months.
Still way too much wasteful spending. NOT business friendly, and oh yeah, they just instituted a smoking ban in all restaurants so our restaurant's business is hurting at a time when they can least afford it.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,318,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaYank5150 View Post
Still way too much wasteful spending. NOT business friendly, and oh yeah, they just instituted a smoking ban in all restaurants so our restaurant's business is hurting at a time when they can least afford it.
Not "business friendly" yet ranked the #1 state for Business by Forbes?
Gov. Kaine Announces Fourth “Best State for Business” Ranking for Virginia by Forbes.com | Greater Richmond Partnership

It's also not an outright ban on smoking in restuarants, but rather a restriction. Smoking is still permitted if restaurants follow certain protocols.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Not "business friendly" yet ranked the #1 state for Business by Forbes?
Gov. Kaine Announces Fourth “Best State for Business” Ranking for Virginia by Forbes.com | Greater Richmond Partnership

It's also not an outright ban on smoking in restuarants, but rather a restriction. Smoking is still permitted if restaurants follow certain protocols.
And while these new restrictions took effect at what SHOULD be a highly profitable season for restaurants, what state money was set aside for these businesses to help them abide by them? NONE. Hence, most restaurants have been forced to go completely non-smoking whether their clientele are smokers or not. Great move, King Kaine!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Our state is very well run. Doesn't seem to matter whether its Republicans or Democrats in charge. We've been fortunate in having a string of good governors from both parties (with one exception - I didn't care for Gilmore that much) who have maintained our strong credit ratings and kept taxes and spending steady.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM

743 posts, read 3,901,928 times
In addition to being named the most business friendly state, Virginia is also named one of the best managed state in the country.

As far as the smoking ban, all a restaurant has to do is have a physical barrier between the smoking and non-smoking sections. A lot of places already had this, others have easily complied. Unfortunately, some smaller restaurants didn't have any kind of separation between smoking and non-smoking, so they either had to build a wall, or turn all non-smoking.

Anyways, personally I think Virginia has been fairly well run. Not really any of the horror stories you hear of other state governments. When VA had to cut the budget, they did a really good job at cutting things as far as they could, but then dipped into the 'rainy day' fund when absolutely needed. They still have money in the 'rainy day' fund, which I think is great since the economy seems to be getting a little better.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Property taxes have gone up a bit because of home prices but in the 20 years I've lived here other taxes haven't increased and in some cases have dropped (personal property tax and food sales tax). The income tax has stayed the same. We have great schools, police, fire protection, roads, and social services where I live so I can't complain.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
In addition to being named the most business friendly state, Virginia is also named one of the best managed state in the country.

As far as the smoking ban, all a restaurant has to do is have a physical barrier between the smoking and non-smoking sections. A lot of places already had this, others have easily complied. Unfortunately, some smaller restaurants didn't have any kind of separation between smoking and non-smoking, so they either had to build a wall, or turn all non-smoking.

Anyways, personally I think Virginia has been fairly well run. Not really any of the horror stories you hear of other state governments. When VA had to cut the budget, they did a really good job at cutting things as far as they could, but then dipped into the 'rainy day' fund when absolutely needed. They still have money in the 'rainy day' fund, which I think is great since the economy seems to be getting a little better.
I assume you missed the part in these new regulations that require separate HVAC and exhaust systems for non-smoking and smoking sections? Not to mention the separate entrances? Do you have ANY idea how much new HVAC equipment INSTALLED, costs? My local Applebee's said it would cost them > $200K to comply with the new regulations. How's THAT for business friendly?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 AM

631 posts, read 1,291,112 times
Well maybe people should quit smoking. I understand that you run a restaurant but we have to look at the bigger picture....

Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 PM

713 posts, read 1,462,016 times
its all good info.

as for the smoking bills, restaurant owners needed to nag legislature folks with the info from their perspective. in AZ i helped to inform legislature folks the facts about carrying concealed firearm into establishments that serve alcohol. i watched the sessions live online. we law abiding citizens prevailed even though there was lots of voice from such establishments against the bill. establishments still have the right to ban firearms, but here in AZ we CCW'ers will typically will not frequent places that have banned firearms.

my moto is, if you dont like the law you rally your troops and get it changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: