Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:14 AM

97 posts, read 616,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2222 View Post
My son is tired of seeing all these rich conservitive people and so am i. I also know that lynchburg is and extremly conservitive city but its better than forest. Also I took a walk through the area of lynchburg that you say is bad and I think its not bad at all. I was around 5,6,7th street.

Maybe you should go on that walk late at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 07:20 PM

5 posts, read 35,324 times
I did go late at night. It was 11 and I went because I had just gotten out of being at the YWCA.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM

13 posts, read 74,450 times
Well, I am a stay-at-home mom, but we aren't rich, particularly conservative, or name-brand anything (unless it came from goodwill ) I'm hoping Forest isn't full of "snoots", as we call snooty people. There's some diversity, isn't there?

Old 06-05-2007, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 35,324 times
There are a lot of rich people in Forest but there are a few pockets that are not so rich. Everywhere in the subdivisions Forest Lakes, Lake Vista, and all of the Ivy subdivisions are extremly rich. The median income in Forest is something like 66K a year. In my opinion there is harly any diversity at Forest but Im used come from city schools with lots of blacks/hispanics. I think its about 90% white, 5% black and everything else is in the other 5%

Old 06-25-2007, 01:43 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
Downtown Lynchburg is finally coming alive with considerable new development. Several of the old factory buildings are being converted to loft apts, offcies, and a hotel. New restaurants are coming all the time. It's a good time to be buying into Lynchburg. I have been downtown at night many times and it is not scary at all.
A major new mall is coming to the southwest side of town and local industries are doing well. EC Glass HS has great programs for the college bound.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,907 times
This reply may come to you a bit late but I am also a single mom in Lynchburg. Though my children are quite a bit younger than yours (1, 3 and 4). I notice you mentioned the downtown area. I live in the 24503 area (right off Rivermont Ave on the 5th St side). This area seems to be pretty quiet though you do have the occasional drama (as with anywhere). I recently moved there from an apartment complex also in Lynchburg that NO ONE with any sense would WANT to live in. I had no choice and was there for 3 years before finding the house I'm in now. Obviously, I don't have any first hand experience with public schools but I will say I am trying to move out of the city before my oldest gets into school. Thats not to say anything bad about the schools but I think my son is going to be easily impressionable so I'd rather move to an area with smaller schools. But don't let anyone discourage you from downtown...unless it's James Crossing AKA Greenfield you're considering.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,362 times
Come join our network where moms can get together and talk and kids can enjoy playdates. visit [url=http://www.centralvirginiamommies.com]CentralVirginiaMommies.com--Central Virginia's Mom-to-Mom Connection[/url] check us out

Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 AM

345 posts, read 1,015,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa View Post
None of my business but why lynchburg? From neighboring Roanoke, I was lured there for an attractive paying position and may be again soon strangely enough but I can't see anyone WANTING to move there for any other reason. I hated it - most of the people are from there and never moved on i guess because they didn't know any better (including my girlfriend), are really into themselves and aren't very warming to outsiders. Oh yeah, anywhere downtown is probably a bad place to live.

Try surrounding counties. better land and homes for the price.... much friendlier people.
Why did you "hate" Lynchburg? And how are the people unfriendly?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:52 PM

24 posts, read 57,056 times
I was born in lynchburg in 87', lived here until 95' (moved to Newark DE)...came back in 98'. I then moved to Spartanburg SC in 2000, came back in 2001. There is my introduction, so on the the Lynchburg facts. This city is really what you make it. Most of the residents choose to stay inside, go out to eat and spend time at Lowes and Walmart. You have business oriented individuals who live like people i know from up north,fast paced lifestyles or whatnot. The "ghetto" that many people tend to speak about isn't a ghetto at all. It is actually neighborhoods of less fortunate individuals who make a living the best way they can. They do what they have to do to survive. This city has "big-city qualities" and "small town comfort". Also racist cops, and idiot leaders downtown. A city with so much potential would blossom with the right leadership and more opportunities for the youth.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:33 AM

15 posts, read 41,915 times
I'm considering Moving to either L'burg or Roanoke. I am 16 at the moment but plan to go to university. I live in the UK at the moment but plan to visit Staunton, Charlottesville, Roanoke, Bedford and of course Lynchburg in my gap year and possibly move there after I get a degree (and hopefully a visa!) What area should I definitly consider?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia