Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 8,558 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I got issued a reckless driving Misdeamor in July 2005 right before my 21st birthday. I was driving through central Virginia on my way down to the Carolinas.

i got issued a reckless driving because I was clocked going 20 over the speed limit. Well since I never drive honestly (don't even own a car) I just paid the cost of the ticket and didn't think about it again. Not even sure what paying it meant, but when I called the number on the ticket the woman stated to either pay or come to court. I opted not to go to court, since I am from Northern VA and I was a few hours south in a town I didn't know.

Well now I realized when I applied for a job in another state that it appeared on my criminal record!

Is it possible to get rid of this thing now? Id be willing to fly back to VA to have this fixed. So frustrated with this thing. I wish I hadnt just pulled out my credit card and paid it over the phone like that.

Is this on my criminal record and my DMV record...not sure if there is a difference. I didnt realize other states could see my driving record! and mainly future employers.

Is it possible to get rid of this thing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,558 times
Also I have nothing else on my record. grrr

Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 PM

372 posts, read 1,117,693 times
reckless driving is criminal offense a class 1 misdemeanor in the state of virginia

you now have something to put down on that section of the job application asking about criminal record

Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,467,318 times
Sounds like a call to an attorney would be your best bet.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:01 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,710,189 times
wow i did not know this, thanks for the heads up!!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 PM

126 posts, read 382,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Sounds like a call to an attorney would be your best bet.
+3,472

Don't get legal advice from the internet.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 PM

211 posts, read 817,386 times
Sorry to hear about your plight. Unfortunately, Virginia has chosen to criminalize the act of speeding at 20+ the limit (or 80+ mph). It's the law.

The Code of Virginia has over 20 sections pertaining to reckless driving. It is defined as a Class 1 misdemeanor criminal offense, not a traffic infraction or a speeding ticket. For example, Virginia code explicitly defines the act of speeding 20 mph or more above the posted speed limit (or at any speed greater than 80 mph) as reckless driving.

All drivers convicted of reckless driving in Virginia, including out-of-state and foreign (e.g. Canadian) drivers, will have a permanent criminal record that will be indexed in the NCIC criminal database. The conviction will also be added to a Virginia driving record for 11 years, and six demerit points will be applied.

There is only a limited period of time to appeal your guilty verdict in Virginia (21 days, I believe).

So the only way out at this time is to retain a lawyer and have them contact the Governor's office for you to apply for a pardon or commutation of your sentence.

You are now suffering from what is known as the "Collateral Consequences of a Criminal Charge", something that you'll have to live with for the rest of your life.

Next time, slow down in the Commonwealth.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia