Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,533 times

Advertisements

On my ride in this morning I was deliberately run off the road by a driver that purposely cut me off. Thankfully the shoulder was paved and I was able to bring the bike to a complete stop without incident. The car then pulled up next to me and the driver started yelling and screaming. He said once I got going again "I will run you over".

He was mad at me for not waiting in a line of traffic that had backed up to make an exit. The reason I was not in line was that there was traffic merging from both the right and left and I have almost been hit in this same location as people tend not to see motorcycles in all the traffic. So I pulled forward beyond the merge and before my exit when a truck was slow to get going I merged in. I had stayed at speed the whole time so I had not blocked or cut off anyone. Another car followed me but the a-driver in this Mustang took out his aggression on the unprotected motorcycle. Regardless of my actions, I did nothing illegal and nothing to harm another driver or vehicle. I did not deserve to be run off the road.

When I arrived at work some 40 minutes later I called the local sheriff and made a report. I provided a color, make, model and plate number of the vehicle as well as a detailed description of the driver. My call was returned by an officer on duty and he told me there was nothing that could be done. I asked him why they could not do anything when I was obviously assaulted with intent and threatened with bodily harm. He said the only way anything could be done was if I reported it at the time of incident.

Lesson learned. If you are at victim, report it immediately. If you are riding in the northern Virginia area watch out for a gray convertible Mustang (2000ish) with the Virginia license plate of FLYYRS or FLYYERS and a license plate holder that read Philadelphia Flyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 11:51 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
While I am not a biker, I definitely have experienced some of the "bad driving" that you mention. When I went up to visit Falls Church to find an apartment, some blue STI was merging into my lane and as if he didn't care that I was there at all, he started edging toward my car and proceeded to run me off the road into the grass! I honked at him and he just zoomed off. I hope people who have no consideration for pedestrians or other drivers or just simply don't have any regard for the road run into a freaking pole -_-

Old 05-23-2007, 12:29 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,943 times
I hate road ragers. I'm not outwardly aggressive and I don't provoke anything but I stand my ground almost to a fault. He's lucky he didn't run me down and talk trash. I would have left him searching for his teeth on the shoulder and I would have had a cool license plate to hang in my barn.

But it's just like in elementary school. These nutjobs make calculated moves and won't provoke people they size up as being able to take them down. Since we're past the statute of limitations, I'll tell you a funny story. I was 21(I'm 34 now) and I was delivering pizza for Dominos in Burlington, VT. There was work being done on a bridge and two lanes merged into one immediately after a light. Or more accurately, the right lane was turned into a Right Turn Only lane. I was in the left lane in my Grand Am in front and when the light turned green, I sped up briskly and out of nowhere an old Ford F-150 appears aside me trying to out accelerate me and cut me off. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal but in this case, the left lane at the beginning of the bridge ends with angled concrete barriers because everyone in the left lane were directed to follow the shifted lane into the right lane. I have no time but to slow down as fast as I can and turn right so I don't clip the flipping barriers. My front fender clips this dude's rear fender and at this point, I know he's torn up my quarter panel with his broke down truck. And I'm certain he noticed what happened because I saw him laughing as he gave me the finger in his rear view mirror. Well, that's when all reason just flew out the window I punched it and rammed the bastard when we were halfway across the bridge. He slams his brakes and I slam mine. He steps out of his truck wearing a greasy mechanic uniform looking like Larry the Cable Guys' love child, swearing saying I'm Going to Do This and That. I step out of my Grand Am and turn my Dominos hat around and start striding toward him. I distinctly remember telling him that this was the going to be the most painful 30 seconds of his entire life. He stopped dead in his tracks, turned around and jumped into his truck, and then took off. I remember walking back to my car, wondering if the emotional payback I enjoyed was worth losing my job over. But somehow, nobody in the long line of cars behind me reported the insane Dominos driver who rammed someone on the bridge One car full of college age kids actually cheered as I walked back to my car.

I'm not saying this is how a mature and responsible adult should handle the situation. But I knew when he nearly ran me into the concrete barrier that it was going to be impossible to prove who was at fault, and it just seemed to be the most appropriate thing to do at the time. The only thing I regret is that he tucked tail and ran. I really think he deserved a public whooping

Sean

Old 05-23-2007, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 11,245 times
I'm rather lucky that I live and work and in the Fair Oaks area. My commute is all of 2 miles each way (yeah, I love it!). So, you would think I'd NEVER encounter issues.

Boy, is that a laugh! At least a half dozen times during the trip to and from work, I either get cut off, honked at, or nearly rear-ended...You name it. I drive at a normal speed, am in the lane where I need to turn, etc. (I've travelled this route for 8 years, I've got it downpat). I live over by the new Fairfax Corner development, and inevitably, on the way home..all the people in the right lane who are lost and looking for Fairfax Corner, suddenly see it at the last minute and nearly swerve right into me.

It's quite frustrating!

Old 05-23-2007, 12:51 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
Hahahaha great story Sean, go you! It was a domino's job, I'd say it was worth it :P

In other news, hearing all these horror stories makes me wonder if I should up the plan on my car insurance O_o

Old 05-23-2007, 03:39 PM

267 posts, read 1,674,769 times
He was very wrong and what he did was illegal and stupid. But, motorcycles are also supposed to follow the rules of the road and that includes waiting in line with everyone else. I see bikers every day who ignore stop signs, stop lights, yield signs, lane markings, etc. Of course in CA where they have the dumbest laws, bikers can ride between lanes of traffic, along the lane markings, which is a great way to get hit since you aren't as visible as cars.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:30 PM

261 posts, read 1,667,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
He was very wrong and what he did was illegal and stupid. But, motorcycles are also supposed to follow the rules of the road and that includes waiting in line with everyone else. I see bikers every day who ignore stop signs, stop lights, yield signs, lane markings, etc. Of course in CA where they have the dumbest laws, bikers can ride between lanes of traffic, along the lane markings, which is a great way to get hit since you aren't as visible as cars.

Agreed. Motorcycles need to sit in traffic with the rest of us and obey the same laws as automobile drivers. I will block both cars and bikes coming up the shoulder or between lanes (but not run them off the road).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: