Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:33 AM

3 posts, read 11,683 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We have lived in Bedford Co all our lives (Thaxton area to be specific) The crime rate is virtually nill. People leave doors unlocks, etc. We have mountains around us and you can buy mountain land around here very reasonably. We are close between Roanoke and Lynchburg, there is a Wlamart about 7 miles up 460 and we have a Dr who has hours 8-8:00, 6 days a week. The Parkway is just up the road and we love it here! You should check Thaxton out. Best of luck in finding what you are looking for, oh, and on the mounains, there are great orchards!
Diana D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 10:16 AM

20 posts, read 95,806 times
I don't know about Bluefield personally but have only heard positive things...as for Roanoke, I lived there as a young single woman for a number of years. I'd say that if you are drawn to 'rural' surroundings you'd be much happier in another area....as for Christiansburg (as someone suggested) it is very close to VA Tech and has its own college (Radford Univ) so it has that 'college' atmosphere (not a bad thing....just not what I think of as 'rural'...and yes, I grew up in a rural, mountainous area in VA so I DO know rural) If mountain scenery is your thing, then you would love areas along the Blue Ridge Parkway......

Hope that helps!
Skylar25

Old 05-27-2007, 01:38 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
Radford College is NOT in Christiansburg. It is in Radford But Radford and Christiansburg are right next door. The metro area over there is called the Blacksburg/Christiansburg/Radford MSA. Christiansburg is rapidly becoming the retail and box store hub between the more affluent Radford and Blacksburg areas.

Sean

Old 05-27-2007, 04:15 PM

62 posts, read 203,396 times
we have narrowed it down to 6 towns we need to know more info about-bluefield,va richlands,va tazewell,va big stone gap,va lebanon,va and abingdon,va

Old 05-28-2007, 01:03 AM

9 posts, read 27,535 times
ok...i just moved to south florida from blacksburg, and i must say...that is the place to go. I love that town. it's nice and quiet, but there is plenty to do. Plus there are some of the nicest people in the world there. Great small town atmosphere. but as far as the places you mentioned, please reconsider unless you are looking for a more backwoodsy, redneck type of place. i dont mean this as an insult, some people like that..unfortunately, i am a native of the boston area and a current south florida resident, so i cant say that i necessarily fit in in thast type of an environment. there is also really nothing to do in these areas. and as far a c-burg, as someone mentioned earlier, how can someone who lives in that area pick c-burg over blacksburg, jeez. while there are some nice things about christiansburg, blacksburg is definitely the better of the two. there are more amenities , less crime, and a much more beautiful setting. i dont know, call me biased. by the way, go bruins!!! (and go hokies goes without saying.)

Old 05-28-2007, 10:21 AM

yes i like the backwoodsy redneck areas lol...its quieter, not as much crime more ppl like me there thats the kind of places i have grown up in and thats where i want my daughter to grow up....guess ill have to visit each of them to figure out what one to move to...

Old 05-28-2007, 10:40 AM

are any of the towns i posted in the mountains? is christiansburg in the mountains?

Old 05-28-2007, 05:00 PM

37 posts, read 152,351 times
Sorry..if there was any misunderstanding - I did not mention Roanoke. I was speaking to Abingdon and Bristol VA. I live in Bristol now and when we moved here, we were quite taken by the beauty of the mountains. No one told us about the issues I wrote about and I wish I had done some more research. We had a few friends who lived in Abingdon and they have since moved so that they don't have to drive out to Kingsport or Johnson City just to get to a decent mall.

Again, this is my point of view. There are other people who I know that love the area. They mail order things and don't care about the lack of shopping or issues with the airport. So its all in what you want from the area. Good luck! :-) I hope you find your dream place.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:06 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
Christiansburg and Blacksburg are on a mountain plateau. They are about 2,000' above sea level and drive 10 minutes in any direction and you'll be in the mountains. You might look into Wytheville, VA. There, you're right at the I-81/I-77 intersection although I'm not sure how close to major shopping areas you'd be.

Looking at the Google Maps w/ hybrid satellite enabled, you might want to look into Catawba, VA. Catawba is definitely in the mountains; it's beautiful up there. You're not too far from major shopping in Roanoke (20 minutes) and you're definitely in the mountains. Then it's a 1 hour drive up Rt 311 to White Sulphur Springs, WV. Certainly something to consider.

Sean

Old 05-28-2007, 10:37 PM

9 posts, read 27,535 times
well...if you like the backwoodsy redneck areas, then blacksburg might not be for you, although there are areas just outside of town (like McCoy and ellet valley) that are quite country and beautiful+right in the mountains, but you look like you are set on a lst now. unfortunately, i am not familiar with these areas, sry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia